Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Hi,

i won't post politically in this thread because i'm from Germany, and therefore i'd mind my home business where is a lot to be discussed as well. On the other hand, i have several friends in the UK and other English ones abroad with which i'm communicating regularly via social media.
In these strange times i consider this thread very useful since it has no special political background but shows opinions of mostly not especially politically oriented people, my fellow Fiat drivers.

Therefore i thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to develop a kind of an image about what is going on in the UK, and believe me, i'm very much interested in the latter beyond the outpouring of the press.

Cheers, all the best and health
Elmar

Last edited:
The title of the thread, and its location in 'Announcements' give clues that it perhaps might not be about cars.
A large number of threads head off on a tangent, usually after the initial query has been answered. I wonder what the statistics would show as to how many remain on topic throughout. I'd guess quite low.
All part of the fun of the forum. There's always the 'unsubscribe' option for individual threads.

From Monday, we are allowed to gather in larger groups, and in our own gardens.

At least two neighbours have started already, which caused me to ponder. a) what difference does a couple of days make? Are we really at less risk on Monday that we are today? Doubtful. and b) why announce that we can meet in a few days time, why not announce it on the day, and say as of 'now'. Was teh government expecting a rush to meet each other, or trying to allow us a week to get our heads around the new rules. As we are mostly all at home, every day is a weekend.

We are allowed to meet in groups of up to six people, not counting those in one household.
"From Monday 1 June, there are a limited number of things you will be able to do in England that you could not do before:

spend time outdoors, including private gardens and other outdoor spaces, in groups of up to six people from different households, following social distancing guidelines

You cannot:
gather outdoors in a group of more than six (excluding members of your own household

If there are six people in my household, can we meet another group of up to six, or can we meet one, or must some stay at home so the group is no more than six.
If there are six in the household, does that exclude any visitors to the garden?
Or can we have up to twelve, as long as it is only two households.
And is one policeman brave enough to ask the question of a group of twelve, especially if they all talk at once.
How do we arrive at six. Would a seventh person, even if 2m away increase the risk significantly.

My uncle goes home from hospital tomorrow. So there'll be a meeting to arrange and agree carer visits. Uncle, me, and the carer supervisor. Last time there were two from the carers. All in one dining room. Challenging.
We could all go to the garden, but it is rather overgrown, so we might lose each other, or collect tics or other creatures. Or perhaps a picnic on the drive, so the neighbours can all join in too. Looking forward to that.

If there are six people in my household, can we meet another group of up to six, or can we meet one, or must some stay at home so the group is no more than six.
If there are six in the household, does that exclude any visitors to the garden?
Or can we have up to twelve, as long as it is only two households.
And is one policeman brave enough to ask the question of a group of twelve, especially if they all talk at once.
How do we arrive at six. Would a seventh person, even if 2m away increase the risk significantly.

bloke on the radio said you have to do it in shifts, so if there are 6 in the house hold and 6 more visit some would need to stay in the house and some in the cars take in in turns to be the six in the garden, In reality its not going to happen as it isnt already, loads have just been meeting up with loads of people, big green near my unit has loads of people on it all seem to know each other,
Everyday isn't a weekend for me everyday is a monday.

I see a taxi place on facebook has had screens fitted between front and rear seats, council approved, could driving instructors not have something like this between pupil and instructor?

Officina red

So let me get this right, your complaining about seeing a header title in the 500 section mentioning Coronavirus which doesn't show ANY posts unless you open it yourself.

Am I correct in this assumption ?

If the above is true then the answer is a very simple one, don't click on the thread title and it won't open up the posts and you won't see them.

Last edited:
Officina red

So let me get this right, your complaining about seeing a header title in the 500 section mentioning Coronavirus which doesn't show ANY posts unless you open it yourself.

Am I correct in this assumption ?

Yes , but no intention to insult, or offend anyone, which people seem to think is my aim, it is most definitely not, only for the fiat parts of the fiat forum to be covid free.

Blimey, haven't seen a fight kick off like this on the forum for ages - or maybe I just don't stray out my sections much :)

So just to clarify (as I think there is a little misunderstanding going on).

This thread is actually posted in the announcements sub-forum, but because of that, threads are listed in every forum.

This is so people who only stay in their one area will see all the important announcements. After an announcement is a week old with no replies, it will automatically disappear.

So don't worry, it's not stuck in your section forever, just until it has run its course.

I'm sure you can understand, that if I just move it to the normal lounge, most people will miss it (do you honestly browse all the forum sections?) - and as the purpose is to gain "boots on the ground" experiences and news, that wouldn't be very helpful.

I'll continue to moderate it of course, attacks and political snipes aren't helpful - but facts are.

I did a mass culling of the fight that had kicked off (y)

that's all good but you have left post #898 that kicked off the political stuff, but seem to have deleted the post from a german member who did not think he was allowed to contribute and my post that welcomed him to say how they are dealing with it in Germany just as you tell us how they are dealing with it in the country you are in.

Edit found his post but not my reply to it, is he not allowed to tell us how they do it? we might learn something that could save lives

many in the uk are now wearing masks even though our government has said not to so are following advice from other countries.if someone is going to come right up behind me in a supermarket coughing i think i prefer it if they wore a mask

Also how every country deals with the virus is controlled by its politicians. any calls to keep politics out of it its just stupid, especially if you are living in a country like the UK with a government saying they are following the scientific advice, but them same government scientific advisers say no they are not, them same scientists are saying the decisions are political and not in the best interest of the people. This is not left wing propaganda its on all the main news.

Last edited:
Your on the wrong page fella. :D

https://www.fiatforum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions click 40 posts per page

20200330_191835.jpg

I see a taxi place on facebook has had screens fitted between front and rear seats, council approved, could driving instructors not have something like this between pupil and instructor?

I've seen a few taxis with screens too, seems like a good idea.

My brother in Bristol saw a learner car with a screen between driver and instructor, but as it was moving past, could not see how it was fitted, or how deep.

The instructor does occasionally need to reach the steering wheel, and sometimes the indicators when a wrong signal, or a cancelled signal may put the car in danger. Being able to reach and operate the gear lever and handbrake is also necessary.
A screen would need to be offset towards the instructor, to allow unhindered access for the learner to the gear lever, and the bottom of the screen high enough to allow this. Not sure where or how such a screen might be fixed.
I can see such a screen getting in the way, and if a collision happens, that might have been avoided with intervention, the instrcutor would be liable. Anyone supervising a learner is legally 'in charge of the vehicle' so is equally liable for any offences or problems that occur. A point missed by many parents, who will use their mobile while their child drives. Worth £200 and 6 points to the supervising person.

I can't see me fitting a screen any time soon. Not doing learners at the moment, only the fleet work, and then only key workers. Mostly supermarket drivers, plus the odd heating engineer or similar vital worker. In a van we are further apart, and I do have a few masks. One supermarket issues us with a mask while training, another with a full face shield.

DVSA and instructor organisations are currently advising to teach key workers only.

just got out my time machine ............. went forward a good few years ............ you don`t want to know what i saw, but heres a snippet ..........brexit is still being discussed no trade agreement yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see such a screen getting in the way, and if a collision happens, that might have been avoided with intervention, the instrcutor would be liable. Anyone supervising a learner is legally 'in charge of the vehicle' so is equally liable for any offences or problems that occur.

Other laws have been relaxed, may be they could relax that one for qualified instructors only you still have your foot brake that should stop most nasty accidents.
Are brand new drivers going straight out into big supermarket delivery vans, or is it further training to people already driving?

Back