Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Totally agree with 'Jimboy'---this thread has descended into silly bickering and senseless arguments and 'brownie-point' gathering---STOP IT. We are all well aware of the problems being caused (a lot of them due to the senseless stupidity of people) and have a shrewd idea of the financial and social outcome.
Let us come up with ways to HELP each other, after all, that is the whole point of this Forum, a Forum that is generally regarded as the least 'bitchy' of them all. I am over 70, so 'confined to barracks' for (at least) 12 weeks. We have not gone and raided the local supermarket, instead we have looked at what we have and Ann always keeps on the shelves, and Ann has organised our meals around that. We ALL will have to 'tighten the belt' a bit, which may have the benefit if helping us lose a few unwanted pounds(lb,not £). All of you, listen to the governments instructions, ABIDE by them and keep well.

Totally agree with 'Jimboy'---this thread has descended into silly bickering and senseless arguments and 'brownie-point' gathering---STOP IT.

Agreed - posts will be deleted and warnings given if this can't stay civil.

Or maybe the virus is driving everyone mad, I should stay away for longer :D

In current Asia news, a large number of airports are now shutting down for everyone that isn't a resident or holds a work permit. THIS INCLUDES TRANSIT FLIGHTS.

So basically, you can only get in if it's your home.

If I wanted to come back, I am running out of viable options though if they won't even allow transit!

I read that from Thursday, Police will finally have the powers to fine people breaking the lockdown rules (at the moment they can only warn and dispurse) - this will put some sense into people!

Fish van just made an appearance in the village, I usually miss him but managed to catch up with him.......Two pieces of hot smoked salmon, two pieces haddock, 6 very large fresh eggs & best of all pair of kippers, the last two.....:D Back in my house for lock down...:wave:

Fish van just made an appearance in the village, I usually miss him but managed to catch up with him.......Two pieces of hot smoked salmon, two pieces haddock, 6 very large fresh eggs & best of all pair of kippers, the last two.....:D Back in my house for lock down...:wave:
It's the ice-cream van that been driving around here ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

From what I saw on the news from the government yesterday, you are still allowed to visit the vulnerable and elderly that cannot shop for themselves.
You just have to be sensible. If he is still mobile, just knock on the door or call to say you're outside and leave the food on the doorstep.
If not, then get him to open the door and retreat to a room he can isolate himself from you, take the food into the kitchen and then leave.
Remember that both of you need to wash your hands after touching any packaging, the virus can live for 72hrs on it.
I got an email from Iceland that they're implimenting a "if you touch it, you buy it" policy.

My mother is 84, she's still reasonably mobile, she has a car and can drive herself but the advice is mixed.....over 70s need to self isolate for 12 weeks but shops have specific shopping times for the elderly, how does that work if they've got to self isolate?!
I took her some soup, bread, milk etc last week and my brother and I will be sharing the shopping for her, taking her supplies every week to 10 days. I've told her that when we come round she is to stay in the lounge, we'll bring the food in and put it away for her and then we'll go.
Both of us are terrified of infecting her but we're both self isolating.
I've got a major problem because my wife is front line NHS so there's a high chance of her bringing it home due to the lack of regualr PPE being delivered :eek:

We all just have to be sensible, only go out when you need to and don't interact with anybody else.

Stay safe people.

So to recap,

This is not a Flu virus, to call it a flu virus is not only wrong but dangerous, because people think "oh well if its only the flu then why all the fuss"

People also posting scary things like "Cytokine storms" and "immune storms" is not backed up by any evidence and is just parroting a particular youtube account. you can see the rest of the discussion here --->https://www.fiatforum.com/leisure-lounge/290396-whats-made-you-smile-today-part-ii-591.html

Misrepresenting data from websites which can be shown to be inaccurate, is also not helpful to anyone.

If anyone has an axe to grind with me that's fine it's their problem not mine but at least point out what you're actually complaining about and then expect to be robustly challenged.

Finally people are losing lives and loved ones over this, its not a joke and certainly not a scoring points exercise.

At the moment ben I would stay where you are, you'll probably find you're safer where you are and not risk walking into something worse.

There has been a lot about panic buying, I've just been out shopping (on my own) and it was all very calm and peaceful with some shelves empty in one shop but well stocked in another. No problems getting bread, milk, toilet roll or any other essentials.
Shops now seem to be running a one in one out system, so that the shop keeps people spaced reasonably apart.

Fish van just made an appearance in the village, .......two pieces haddock, 6 very large fresh eggs ...:

am already smelling the fish&chips, I missed it since I'm not traveling anymore in UK :-( Second half kindly cooked some @ home but it's definitely not the same !

Regards, from home too, and all the best to everybody

Was going to go out tomorrow to hunter gatherer for vitals & refreshments, however, my daughter who is a charge nurse on the front line in Raigmore hospital in Inverness has advised against this at the moment. Seemingly this is the time up here when things can go full blown due to timing. Obviously not everyone will be hit, but it MAY be bad. Due to my son who has special needs & is in lock down with us, daughter has put her foot down & said no. She's saying wards are on standby, they expect it could be bad. I'm doing what I'm told.

Mmmm, no wine at the weekend, this could get interesting.....:eek:

Ours was due on 30th..but carried out last week.. local indy garages are still trading

Got 2 puntos to do may-july though

In other news..

After the outcry over English people flooding outlying areas of the UK last weekend
A Gloucester resident is now taking refuge in Scotland. Now a positive diagnosis has been made.

Last edited:
I have decided to join the forum debate . I shouldn't have been surprised to
see how many posts there have been . I think when this all started, most of
us, including myself thought that alot of scare mongering was being done by
the press, that ultimately caused fear & panic, and panic buying in the stores .
And the more you read on the internet, the more scary this became .
However in the last few weeks this has started to become serious and for the
first time has become unsettling . It was time to start to sit up and take real
notice of what has been unfolding . I have both my sons on the autistic
spectrum, one severely autistic ( and we're not taking him out ) . I'me not at work now until 27th april so now at home helping my wife and family, and thats
where I wanted to be . So have been doing the shopping as well and we've had
to sit down and decide what we need, how much and when to shop , and work
out when we get paid and what we spend to make sure we budget to make sure we get through the time .....however long that may be ! Its definitely a
time when we need to talk and communicate better with each and those around us. This is a time we need to help each other, and even chat to total
strangers when we are queing to go in stores . People need others to talk
to at this very difficult time.....just having someone to speak to is a great
benefit and if you can help someone just by talking to them, just shows we
care .
What gets me angry are those who couldn't give a damn and wont listen to the advice however hard it gets, and they are both young & old . its those
people who are going to make it harder for all of us . If they wont listen, we
will have troops on the street, and then we wont be able to move, only to shop . I dont think they're gonna make it stick, so before long it will go to
lockdown 2 or phase 2 .
I dont want to be shouted at by people by not complying . I will shout at
people who let us all down .
This is a time we all come together and help each other by listening to the
instructions and doing whats required . This is a time to help each other to
" LIVE " . I think alot will change in the long run, if not forever as a result, and I think it has too, we have to make this a better world to live in . The
world is having a breather from all the pollution going into the atmostphere
and into the waters......dolphins in venice ! wow .
Its time to act, its time to live . Good luck to everyone . If we help each
other now the benefits will be amazing.....if we dont, no more fiat car
events either !! thats unthinkable . FIAT - fix it again tony.....if we dont help
tony to fix it, we never will ! HEAL THE WORLD .

I think we were a bit on the slow side to react. Schools still had kids attending till last Friday and when they closed, a lot of silly parents dropped their kids off to party. Crowds of 200+ kids had to be broken up. Then next day they crowded to the beach and parks.

I've been out to get groceries. I didn't stockpile anything. When out I've seen whole families including all the kids shopping. Some people are just daft.

This all has meant that I wouldn't feel right to go and visit my dad. He's been in hospital for 3 months now and is due to finally move to a care I home tomorrow. I won't be able to visit him there either. I just hope that he'll be safer there.

My own kids are on lockdown and I'm trying to home-school them while also trying to work from home. The eldest boy has been out once in the last fortnight for a walk at a social distance. I've been getting them to do the YouTube exercise program at 9am. Then Google classroom for the big boy which is like pulling teeth. He's got autism and ADHD. The younger one had a meltdown with this morning's English school work. He's got dyslexia and often has meltdowns with his homework. He was in the next batch to get tested for autism but who knows when that will start again. It's hard to work with one bouncing boy and another squealing one! I feel like I'm slowly going insane.

I think we were a bit on the slow side to react. Schools still had kids attending till last Friday and when they closed, a lot of silly parents dropped their kids off to party. Crowds of 200+ kids had to be broken up. Then next day they crowded to the beach and parks.

I've been out to get groceries. I didn't stockpile anything. When out I've seen whole families including all the kids shopping. Some people are just daft.

This all has meant that I wouldn't feel right to go and visit my dad. He's been in hospital for 3 months now and is due to finally move to a care I home tomorrow. I won't be able to visit him there either. I just hope that he'll be safer there.

My own kids are on lockdown and I'm trying to home-school them while also trying to work from home. The eldest boy has been out once in the last fortnight for a walk at a social distance. I've been getting them to do the YouTube exercise program at 9am. Then Google classroom for the big boy which is like pulling teeth. He's got autism and ADHD. The younger one had a meltdown with this morning's English school work. He's got dyslexia and often has meltdowns with his homework. He was in the next batch to get tested for autism but who knows when that will start again. It's hard to work with one bouncing boy and another squealing one! I feel like I'm slowly going insane.

Hospitals around here have banned all hospital visitation unless on death bed as they say and the only 1 family member per day for 1 hour

Too late, too hesitating, too unclear, too un-respected, too ...

Makes me remember an old joke about the UK moving right-hand-drive: first week they'll try with the cars and vans and next one with the buses and lorries.

Could have been a BOJO's decision ;-)

Fix It Again Tony ! (like that one). Regards and best of luck, Bernie

This is old but shows the same old dopes still run the show. How could they cover the health issues but ignore the fallout?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...s-files-lockdown-economic-shock-not-foreseen/

Of course considering the economy automatically means letting the afflicted die in the best "this or that" tradition of student politics. The fact is we are heading for far more serious trouble than what is clearly a very dangerous virus. We are heading for economic meltdown that will kill far more than the disease we are trying to stop.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...in-wall-moment-elite-managerialism-collapses/

Readers can decide if the immediate future is likely to be a story of student politics over common sense.

Last edited:
wife is a doctor and holds a masters in tropical medicine

Well that sounds like a pretty bad-ass masters degreen!

At the moment @ben I would stay where you are, you'll probably find you're safer where you are and not risk walking into something worse.

My visa is up in 40 days or so, then I won't have a choice. I'm keeping an eye on which countries seem to be dealing with it (currently South Korea looks good) - and will probably head to one of those for a month or two.

Unless of course (fingers crossed) - the UK is all sorted out by May - then I can get back to some delicious food! :D

Well that sounds like a pretty bad-ass masters degreen!

My visa is up in 40 days or so, then I won't have a choice. I'm keeping an eye on which countries seem to be dealing with it (currently South Korea looks good) - and will probably head to one of those for a month or two.

Unless of course (fingers crossed) - the UK is all sorted out by May - then I can get back to some delicious food! :D

Yep, she definitely knows her stuff.

Have you checked out the UK government websites, this link seems to suggest you get an automatic extra 30 days, but I don't know if you've already counted this in your 40 days

In 40 days time we maybe past the peak here but its unlikely that everything will be open and back to normal, but given another 30 days it may be much easier to organise travel.

Back