Technical Code P0201 - Injector failure Cyl 1 - where to start?

Currently reading:
Technical Code P0201 - Injector failure Cyl 1 - where to start?

Help !!
Looks like I might have broken something.
Just changed the plugs on my 2009 1.1 ECO and started back up immediately getting a check engine light.
ODB code says P0201.

What should I be looking for. The electrical connector at the top of the No 1 injector did look a bit 'wobbly" but seems to be in place just feels a bit loose.
It is dark now but will have to get the multimeter out tomorrow.

Any tips on checking wiring to injectors and anything else I might have disturbed with the plug change? I had a bit of trouble getting the leads off 2 and 3 but replaced the plugs and ignition lead set.

Thanks in advance....

Hi :)

When doing my plugs in the 1242cc I noticed how close all the wiring was.. but changed tooling rather than unplug things

Is it obviously running rough?

Attachments

• 20220916_151307.jpg
    20220916_151307.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
Thanks, sounds like a good plan.
Never removed injectors before. Are they easy to take out and replace?
Also, was just looking at prices of a replacement injector - range from £145 (ECP/ GSF) to £20 (ebay) and everything in between why such a range of prices?

Thanks, sounds like a good plan.
Never removed injectors before. Are they easy to take out and replace?
Also, was just looking at prices of a replacement injector - range from £145 (ECP/ GSF) to £20 (ebay) and everything in between why such a range of prices?
Refresh the page I updated the reply with a link to the instructions

Yes it’s very easy

Technically you are supposed to change the seals

All 4 of mine have been out without changing the seals and none leak but it may be pot luck

Price cheap China clones to originals

Personally if you need one I would be quite happy to use a secondhand part from a local breakers. Yes it’s a gamble but never seen an original fail the chances will be good fairly sure Barlow brothers Crewe my nearest. would charge less than £10 if you took it off yourself. Not only cheaper but the spray pattern will be correct

Refresh the page I updated the reply with a link to the instructions

Yes it’s very easy

Technically you are supposed to change the seals

All 4 of mine have been out without changing the seals and none leak but it may be pot luck

Price cheap China clones to originals

Personally if you need one I would be quite happy to use a secondhand part from a local breakers. Yes it’s a gamble but never seen an original fail the chances will be good fairly sure Barlow brothers Crewe my nearest. would charge less than £10 if you took it off yourself. Not only cheaper but the spray pattern will be correct
Thanks again.

I have just been out with the multimeter and am pretty sure it is the injector at fault, as no1 measures open circuit across the two contacts but others are around 16 ohms. I must have cracked it or something when struggling to remove the ignition lead on no 2 cylinder.

Think I will look for a breakers part as you say - plenty on ebay at around £20.

So to remove I can see two fastners (torx or similar) on the fuel rail, do I just remove these and pop off the rail? Do I have to unclip each injector? I can se a sort of spring clip at the joint with the rail. Or do all the injectors come away with the rail and I only unclip the one I replace? Is this all just push fit, I assume?

Looks like I will be learning how to replace injectors this week then!!

Thanks again.

I have just been out with the multimeter and am pretty sure it is the injector at fault, as no1 measures open circuit across the two contacts but others are around 16 ohms. I must have cracked it or something when struggling to remove the ignition lead on no 2 cylinder.
Cool looks it got damaged. Well done in finding it
Think I will look for a breakers part as you say - plenty on ebay at around £20.

So to remove I can see two fastners (torx or similar) on the fuel rail, do I just remove these and pop off the rail? Do I have to unclip each injector? I can se a sort of spring clip at the joint with the rail. Or do all the injectors come away with the rail and I only unclip the one I replace? Is this all just push fit, I assume?
It’s important to be careful there is fuel and potential for sparks. Disconnect the battery and depressor the fuel rail first.

Mmm
I was doing more work. So I removed the whole fuel manifold. Just two bolts and it pulls up with all the injectors still attached. They are just pushed in

I can’t see why you can’t flick out an injector without removing the fuel manifold, but it’s no something I have tried myself, so could be missing something obvious ?

Cool looks it got damaged. Well done in finding it

It’s important to be careful there is fuel and potential for sparks. Disconnect the battery and depressor the fuel rail first.

Mmm
I was doing more work. So I removed the whole fuel manifold. Just two bolts and it pulls up with all the injectors still attached. They are just pushed in

I can’t see why you can’t flick out an injector without removing the fuel manifold, but it’s no something I have tried myself, so could be missing something obvious ?
Looking at the instructions I am not sure it would be possible to take out a single injector without removing the whole rail, even if it is No 1 which is the most accessible on the end.

Two things worry me....
Depressurising the fuel line - can I improvise the 'tool' that is shown used (with hose) - will I just end up spraying fuel everywhere?
The safety clip behind each injector - is this easily removable without a special tool?

Any advice on those? Thank you...

Disconnect the battery earth first

on the left end of the fuel rail there is a what looks like a car tyre valve

Remove the cap. In the centre there’s a pin you can push down with a screwdriver

If you wrap a cloth around driver very little spills and what does evaporate very quickly

Petrol liquid does not ignite very easy it requires a spark or flame

Unlike in the films if you throw a cigarette into a bucket of petrol it normally just puts it out.

Fumes are dangerous though let them clear before starting

Whoops missed the bit about the clip

Just needs a screwdriver

I will look for a video a bit later on
Thanks again, Txuchin just posted an excellent video above.

My car is on 144,000 miles now so will probably fit used parts.

Does any one know if the injectors themselves are pretty universal across the 1.1 and 1.2 and even 1.4 engines? Aany tips gratefully received. Waiting to talk to local breakers tomorrow, otherwise will resort to Ebay.

Thanks again, Txuchin just posted an excellent video above.

My car is on 144,000 miles now so will probably fit used parts.

Does any one know if the injectors themselves are pretty universal across the 1.1 and 1.2 and even 1.4 engines? Aany tips gratefully received. Waiting to talk to local breakers tomorrow, otherwise will resort to Ebay.
Earlier 1.1 used the IWP 116 which is used in a lot of vehicles such as the punto 1.2

Being a latter eco I have no idea if the injectors have been changed

Your best bet is to look on the side of the electrical connector and just search for what ever number you have
C82ACBF2-339E-4229-B3FD-6B18FEA8AF7C.png

Thanks.
The ones fitted are marked IWP 095.
Does anyone know the difference between all the IWP numbers, or any cross compatibility? As far as I can tell IWP 095 and IWP 1161 might be interchangeable, but beyond that who knows? Are the jets different or something like that?

Thanks.
The ones fitted are marked IWP 095.
Does anyone know the difference between all the IWP numbers, or any cross compatibility? As far as I can tell IWP 095 and IWP 1161 might be interchangeable, but beyond that who knows? Are the jets different or something like that?
Flow rates and spray patterns change quite a bit

No idea what if any difference there is between the 095 and 116

Just googled both seem to fitted across the Fiat 1.1 and 1.2 range

So in your opinion would you get an exact match for the numbers i.e. IWP 095.

Also, what is the view on replacing a single injector or all four? Given the mileage would 4 new/ more recent/ lower mileage ones improve anything, compared to just replacing one. The car was fine before although I suspected economy had been suffering, hence the change of plugs (which had about 40,000 miles on them!)

Sorry I just plain don’t know

If it was my car I would change just the broken one for one of the same number as it’s the safest and cheapest option if buying online

However my local breaker is quite relaxed and would allow me to try before you buy or at least swap if it didn’t work so would go for whatever Fiat 1.1 or 1.2 he had in stock when I went.

Sorry I just plain don’t know

If it was my car I would change just the broken one for one of the same number as it’s the safest and cheapest option if buying online

However my local breaker is quite relaxed and would allow me to try before you buy or at least swap if it didn’t work so would go for whatever Fiat 1.1 or 1.2 he had in stock when I went.
No problem, I appreciate the thoughts/ advise.

Back