General Failure to turn over

Currently reading:
General Failure to turn over

ZLM

About a week ago after stopping at a service station my 2009 100HP failed to restart twice, no lights at all (suggesting battery?). Once it did restart it juddered in a way I can only describe as being like driving over paint lines in the road for about 60 seconds and then idled normally. Car completed the journey with no further issues and has started & ran fine since with the exception of intermittent power steering warnings (however with no warning light or actual power steering faliure). I also have an intermittent ABS warning, however I think this could be an issue caused by my coilovers rather than an issue in relation to this incident.

Can anyone shed light as to what this may be? Battery was replaced ~1 year ago as this isn't my first panda rodeo and was having a few issues which were resolved by replacing the battery. TIA.

You will need to start to measure things

If the car been off for a few hour how many volts on the battery terminals

If it’s no dash lights or cranking it hints at a loose or dirty battery connections

But the disruption is a bit vague

“Failed to start twice”

Is it cranking but not firing

Last edited:
intermittent ABS warning

By for the easiest is to read the code

Coil overs makes no difference as long as nothing got damaged

ABS needs sorting ASAP all the proportional braking is done via the ABS you run the risk of braking hard and the car swapping ends

You will need to start to measure things

If the car been off for a few hour how many volts on the battery terminals

If it’s no dash lights or cranking it hints at a loose or dirty battery connections

But the disruption is a bit vague

“Failed to start twice”

Is it cranking but not firing
Apologies for the vague description, I'm not very good at describing things over writing.
It would begin to crank and then stop, but where I would usually expect a warning light of some kind cropping up there was nothing at all, as though it was a complete loss of power. This is why I assumed battery, I'm waiting for a friend to be able to test this for me since they have the kit. I've checked the terminals themselves as someone suggested a loose terminal but they're fine too. The only other thing I haven't been able to check yet is the earth wires, which I will also be doing with a friend.

I just wasn't sure if I was missing something, that's all

intermittent ABS warning

By for the easiest is to read the code

Coil overs makes no difference as long as nothing got damaged

ABS needs sorting ASAP all the proportional braking is done via the ABS you run the risk of braking hard and the car swapping ends
I've seen a few people say that the specific coilovers I'm running (stance+) can cause damage to the ABS system over time depending on how they've been fitted, although I'm hoping it's just a faulty sensor since it's not constant. I'm currently waiting for my local garage to reopen as brakes is one of the things I don't like to try on my own, I would do a quick code read if I could, but I don't know anyone with a reader.

Apologies for the vague description, I'm not very good at describing things over writing.
It would begin to crank and then stop, but where I would usually expect a warning light of some kind cropping up there was nothing at all, as though it was a complete loss of power. This is why I assumed battery, I'm waiting for a friend to be able to test this for me since they have the kit. I've checked the terminals themselves as someone suggested a loose terminal but they're fine too. The only other thing I haven't been able to check yet is the earth wires, which I will also be doing with a friend.

I just wasn't sure if I was missing something, that's all
Ah that slightly makes more sense now

Starts to turn over then stops

Does it stop suddenly or slow down and stop

Most power issues can be tested yourself with a cheap multimeter

Failing to start rarely produces an error light

Cranking only involves a few components

Battery
Starter
Ignition switch
Wire from ignition switch to starter
Cable from battery positive to starter
Cable from battery negative to gearbox

We already know the ignition switch and it’s small wire is probably okay

From your description of other intermittent electrical faults checking the battery is a good first call. It would also fit as to why it was running bad for a short time after it started

I've seen a few people say that the specific coilovers I'm running (stance+) can cause damage to the ABS system over time depending on how they've been fitted, although I'm hoping it's just a faulty sensor since it's not constant. I'm currently waiting for my local garage to reopen as brakes is one of the things I don't like to try on my own, I would do a quick code read if I could, but I don't know anyone with a reader.
As long as the wheels are turning it shouldn’t make any difference whether it’s coil over or not

Over hard suspension skipping over the road might under the right conditions

Probable connected to the power issue above. When you get close to and below the reference voltage all sorts of sensors will give faulty signals

If it’s the battery again we will need to figure out why it’s failed again

Short journeys
Faulty alternator
Loose or damaged wiring
Periods of not using the car

Back