General City button

Currently reading:
General City button

I never use city mode as the Punto feels like you're steering a car weighing fifty kilos anyway but I could swear mine also ran past 30.. I was fully expecting the light to turn off when over 30 so as to indicate it was no longer running, you'd think it would do that really.

Well, just to give a metric perspective on the matter, my understanding was that the CITY increased assistance tapers off by 70km/h (which is about 40mph).

Every now and then I notice it slightly 'caught out', like when littlepip says it has no assistance at high speeds - it takes a while to 'ramp up' the assistance as I slow down, so if I do a sudden slow from 80km/h and turn into someone's driveway, it's quite heavy. Also, for that matter, as the speed builds you can actually tell that the steering is getting heavier - ideally, the assistance would taper off with the decreased requirement so that you didn't notice. Like the stereo that turns itself up as the speed increases - the best result is that you can't tell that it does it :)

You can experience the delayed 'ramping up' of assistance if you're driving slowly and press CITY, you'll notice the increased assistance doesn't happen immediately - it takes a few seconds - or at least, it does in my Punto.

Anyway I will pop in two questions just in case anyone can answer them ;)

1. I have a rattling sound from the steering column yet can't move the steering wheel up/down or side-to-side. The rattling is of course only on rough road surfaces (which is most roads when you have a Sporting!) What is this rattle likely to be, based on past experience?

2. I like the CITY mode, as I feel it takes nothing away from the controllability of the car (steering ratio is the same) or the steering 'feel' (which seems quite stiff and dead at all speeds compared to something like my Uno Turbo, whether or not CITY is on - actually I think there is more feel with CITY on than off.) If I leave CITY on all the time, is that going to cause the motor to die earlier? (I know of a number of motors that have died, but what I don't know is whether the failures were 'random' age-related or actually due to usage).

Thanks,
-Alex

Last edited:
Well I just say, why push it? Puntos aren't hard to steer anyway; the only time I'll use City is when parallel parking and I can't be arsed. Otherwise I always drive with it off.

I personally can't get over how good the city button is, and my mum wishes she had it as her punto mk1 isnt power steerig so when parking or doing a 3 point turn its like drving a tank i must admit lol.

Well, just to give a metric perspective on the matter, my understanding was that the CITY increased assistance tapers off by 70km/h (which is about 40mph).

Every now and then I notice it slightly 'caught out', like when littlepip says it has no assistance at high speeds - it takes a while to 'ramp up' the assistance as I slow down, so if I do a sudden slow from 80km/h and turn into someone's driveway, it's quite heavy. Also, for that matter, as the speed builds you can actually tell that the steering is getting heavier - ideally, the assistance would taper off with the decreased requirement so that you didn't notice. Like the stereo that turns itself up as the speed increases - the best result is that you can't tell that it does it :)

You can experience the delayed 'ramping up' of assistance if you're driving slowly and press CITY, you'll notice the increased assistance doesn't happen immediately - it takes a few seconds - or at least, it does in my Punto.

Anyway I will pop in two questions just in case anyone can answer them ;)

1. I have a rattling sound from the steering column yet can't move the steering wheel up/down or side-to-side. The rattling is of course only on rough road surfaces (which is most roads when you have a Sporting!) What is this rattle likely to be, based on past experience?

2. I like the CITY mode, as I feel it takes nothing away from the controllability of the car (steering ratio is the same) or the steering 'feel' (which seems quite stiff and dead at all speeds compared to something like my Uno Turbo, whether or not CITY is on - actually I think there is more feel with CITY on than off.) If I leave CITY on all the time, is that going to cause the motor to die earlier? (I know of a number of motors that have died, but what I don't know is whether the failures were 'random' age-related or actually due to usage).

Thanks,
-Alex

i would take the column shroud off and have a look there re electrical plugs clips and all sorts back there that could be rattling it's not a common ting so my advise just have a look and see if you can spot it

no not atall it's a certain production run that will be the ones failing faulty diodes on the motor anyway it's not just motors that are failing it's ecu's also and torque position sensors you could say it took delphi a wile to get them right lol i have said this to many times on here now but ill say it again (not that i'm getting at you alex) leaving city on all the time will not damage the steering system if it brakes it was going to anyway

Last edited:
it basically makes your steering much lighter, so especially useful for tight turns or parking such as parallel parking. Try it!

Yeah I like to drive with one hand on the wheel (and yes very fuuny my other hand would be on my gear KNOB) so when parking the city button is a god-send.

I agree with whats been said though that after about 30-35mph it feels like its gone off.

I only ever use mine to park, if i'm turning sharply or going round a multi-storey car-park

However the other day, i actually used it to go around a multi storey car park and sometimes it can be so light that you have to be careful as my mind must have thought it wasnt on as i was use to the normal power steering and even a sharp turn to avoid something on the road for example with city on makes your car swing lol

Lads, best turn it off and forget it exists. It was originally supposed to be the "Ragazza" button but that wouldn't fit, hence they used "City" instead.

red

Last edited:
Get out to mid Wales and do some proper conering. !!!

The steering is light at speed but weights up quite a lot at slower speeds. IMHO, City mode is much nicer to use than standard.

Back