Styling interior footwell on central console blank button and more electricity issues

Currently reading:
Styling interior footwell on central console blank button and more electricity issues

nickpaokgr

Hi i wanted to ask some questions about installing interior light. So here we go
1. is it possible to fit a small signal push button on my central console blank button? the one next to the rear fog.If i cut the blank button plastic a bit so it can move like the others and glue a tact button behind it (for relay signal) pull the wire outside this whole thing maybe with a small hole in the plastic, add a relay , take power from the cig lighter. Will i be able to make it work for footwell leds?
2. Can i get both power and signal from my cig lighter for the leds and 1 relay? Because the source from the lighter is 12v 20amps if i am correct. Will this 20amps burn my leds or the relay?
3.Also i want to change my dashboard color from the stock orange to blue, if i take out the dashboard and apply a blue adhesive transparent film behind the things i want to turn blue will this work? Because my soldering skills arent that good so i can buy blue leds and change the stock ones.
Thanks in advance

12 Volts will destroy the LEDs unless you are buying an 'integrated' system designed for 12Volts. The correct voltage with a 5000 amp supply will be fine. The wrong voltage with .5 amp will not be. LED's typically work with voltages that are much less than 12 Volts. You need to have a way to limit the voltage each LED experiences.

The standard Punto comes with tiny bulbs for the heater controls rather than LED's.

You can change the colour of the heater control lights by changing the coloured plastic - but it could be easier said than done because of the way the plastic is designed and the way the plastic channels the light.

12 Volts will destroy the LEDs unless you are buying an 'integrated' system designed for 12Volts. The correct voltage with a 5000 amp supply will be fine. The wrong voltage with .5 amp will not be. LED's typically work with voltages that are much less than 12 Volts. You need to have a way to limit the voltage each LED experiences.

The standard Punto comes with tiny bulbs for the heater controls rather than LED's.

You can change the colour of the heater control lights by changing the coloured plastic - but it could be easier said than done because of the way the plastic is designed and the way the plastic channels the light.

yes the led i wanna add are led strip for 12v already, i dont know what will happen with the amps of the loghts, also if the 12v 20amps from the loghter will destroy the relay i ll add. Furthermore i dont know if i have enough space behind the blank button for a tact button for signal for the relay . thanks onace again

yes the led i wanna add are led strip for 12v already, i dont know what will happen with the amps of the loghts, also if the 12v 20amps from the loghter will destroy the relay i ll add. Furthermore i dont know if i have enough space behind the blank button for a tact button for signal for the relay . thanks onace again

You are still confused. A 10 billion amp power supply is perfectly safe for 12V LED system and 12V relays if the voltage is 12V.

Forget about the Amps. A 12V relay and a 12V LED system take small amounts of current (Amps) if they care connected to a 12V supply. They cannot take large amounts of Amps unless there is a fault. Even if you connect your devices to the total available amperage in the entire universe they will not be damaged if the voltage is 12V and there is no fault.

Last edited:
You are still confused. A 10 billion amp power supply is perfectly safe for 12V LED system and 12V relays if the voltage is 12V.

Forget about the Amps. A 12V relay and a 12V LED system take small amounts of current (Amps) if they care connected to a 12V supply. They cannot take large amounts of Amps unless there is a fault. Even if you connect your devices to the total available amperage in the entire universe they will not be damaged if the voltage is 12V and there is no fault.

oh yes, thank you. i was confused indeed :D the supply gives as much amps as the device demands, the relay+the led strip will not demand much.

You can connect the footwell LEDs direct to the interior light in the roof, I connected mine directly to the contacts for the bulb in the roof lamp, that way the footwell lights come on when the door opens.
The current draw of a couple of small LED strips is not very big so there won't be any need for a relay.
You need to remove the left hand side trim up the side of the windscreen, the sun visor on both sides and then you can feed the wire via the glove box, up the side of the windscreen and under the roof lining. Doesn't take too long, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Edit...

Here is the guide I followed:

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2-2b-guides/303653-wiring-footwell-leds-interior-light.html

Last edited:
You can connect the footwell LEDs direct to the interior light in the roof, I connected mine directly to the contacts for the bulb in the roof lamp, that way the footwell lights come on when the door opens.
The current draw of a couple of small LED strips is not very big so there won't be any need for a relay.
You need to remove the left hand side trim up the side of the windscreen, the sun visor on both sides and then you can feed the wire via the glove box, up the side of the windscreen and under the roof lining. Doesn't take too long, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Edit...

Here is the guide I followed:

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2-2b-guides/303653-wiring-footwell-leds-interior-light.html

yes i know that, i can even connect it directly to the cable that comes to the fuse box of the interior but that way it will light up every time the interior turns on. I want to have a button but not a visible one, thats why i m asking if there is enough space to fit it next to the fog light, on the blank button . If i cut the "extra plastic" of that button will it be able to move like the others? thats i m asking. thanks btw

Why would you want footwell LEDs that you turn on and off with a switch. The point is to immumiate the footwell while you are getting in or out, so they usually always switch on with the interior light.

You don’t want to have to climb in and switch the footwell lights on once in. So just take a wire from the interior light to power them.

Putting blue film over the back of the dials won’t work you’ll end up with a weird colour a blend of the blue and the existing orange colour.

yes i know that, i can even connect it directly to the cable that comes to the fuse box of the interior but that way it will light up every time the interior turns on. I want to have a button but not a visible one, thats why i m asking if there is enough space to fit it next to the fog light, on the blank button . If i cut the "extra plastic" of that button will it be able to move like the others? thats i m asking. thanks btw

Ah, sorry about that, not sure, that spare spot is a blanking plate, by cutting it, it would be a visible cut. Are you talking about putting a switch behind it that you cannot see. By cutting the blank it'll be able to move enough to turn the switch on and off?

If you want a switch that isn't visible why not put a little one on the bottom of the steering wheel shroud?

Back