IMG_1709.JPG

Panda (Classic) Charmanda(er) The Panda

Introduction

Name Change! Previously known as Charmania for anyone not in the know, she's had a slight rename, keeping the Char but sticking my favourite childhood Pokemon name in there, Charmander, mainly because the first time I ever encountered a Panda I was about 8 years old and Pokemon was my favourite thing in the whole world.

Some details,
1992 Fiat Panda 750 Mania
769cc FIRE engine.
Lowered 40mm.
Seicento Sporting Front Seats
Side Stripes for faster acceleration
Fiat 127 'Palio' Alloys.
Veglia Rev counter, so I can count my revs.

I washed her, wanted to take her somewhere nice for pictures but it hasn't been sunny for long enough to do that, so I'll get nicer pictures at some point....
Here she is now, Charmanda.

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

Sorry for the terrible lighting. Can't do much about the sun. :eek:
when you slide the light switch to the lowest position slide it slowly and listen for a click in the fuse box.. there could be a relay already on the lights. if so, you should not burn your dash switch out.

All mk2 Panda's have relayed headlights, and will all still be capable of burning out the switches. Its witch craft I tell ye :(

All mk2 Panda's have relayed headlights, and will all still be capable of burning out the switches. Its witch craft I tell ye :(
So is there a way we get round this? Or do we just know that one day the headlight switch will need replacing again?
I'd be quite happy with 60-70W bulbs if there's a way I can get them to work.

So is there a way we get round this? Or do we just know that one day the headlight switch will need replacing again?
I'd be quite happy with 60-70W bulbs if there's a way I can get them to work.

Yes, putting in a new relayed circuit to run along side the original wiring. This is what I've done in the 750L and my old Sisley and never had any issues :)

Yes, putting in a new relayed circuit to run along side the original wiring. This is what I've done in the 750L and my old Sisley and never had any issues :)

Excellent. I have some electronics knowledge but don't know how the relay system works? What does it actually achieve and how can I wire it up?
Additionally what wattage should I go up to by putting in relays?

Any guides already exist on the forum?

What does it actually achieve and how can I wire it up?
Additionally what wattage should I go up to by putting in relays?

Any guides already exist on the forum?

It'll enable you to remove the loading from the origional wiring in the car, what wattage you'll be able to go to will depend upon the relay and wiring rating, but legally you cannot go above 55/60watt within the standard headlight units I believe.

IIRC dragonman has posted a few relay system wiring diagram before on here, so might be worth a hunt :)

Last edited:
It'll enable you to remove the loading from the origional wiring in the car, what wattage you'll be able to go to will depend upon the relay and wiring rating, but legally you cannot go above 55/60watt within the standard headlight units I believe.

IIRC @dragonman@ has posted a few relay system wiring diagram before on here, so might be worth a hunt :)

I agree with all that as well, in addition it's not only illegal to use not "E" marked bulbs but higher wattage bulb will generate much more heat - therefore headlamp unit casing can start to melt after prolonged ON periods, not mentioning possibilyty if glass lens popping out as the hot melt glue will become elastic in extreme situations.

It's worth investing in branded bulbs ie. Osram night breaker.

Keep away from China product and all on fleebay advertised as "Super hyper Xenon HID extra power unlimited visibilyty farse" .

Have you wiped your reflector inside head lamp recently?

Thanks for all the replies. Didn't know 55/60 was the maximum legally, both bulbs I had before my current yellow ones were illegal in that case :eek:

I'll try and find a guide for creating the relay setup and get some branded 55/60 bulbs :)
Thanks all (y)

So Char' has now passed 100,000 miles and I got a video to celebrate it :)

Unfortunately she's now making a mysterious ticking noise :rolleyes:

Its like a clicking/ticking noise, quite high pitched. Increases with engine RPM although after about 3500 you can't hear it over the general engine noise anymore. The noise only occurs at complete idle or when on the throttle, coasting at speed in gear the noise goes away completely, put foot back on the throttle and the ticking starts again, any ideas? :confused:

Well I at last decided to replace the gasket between the manifold and the down pipe (this is the 3rd time she's blown that gasket in about 18months...) and the ticking noise has gone, so I'm hoping it was just the noise of it escaping.

I have some mild idle issues hanging about at the moment but the car runs and drives properly so I will further investigate before I probe for help on here :eek:

So I went to America for a couple of weeks in the summer and whilst I was out there apparently it rained continuously in the UK, whats new right? Well for the time I was away Char' sat in the same place in said rain for 2 weeks, when I returned I've been busy moving my stuff to my new uni house etc and only got round to washing her yesterday (so its now been a month). After washing I noticed some water spots that will not wash away :(
They don't photograph very well but are a lot more obvious in person,

(They're the lighter coloured/milky blobs)
The bonnet is covered in them (presumably where the rain water sat and did not drain away, damn flat bonnet).

So I got my trusty clay bar out and for the life of me it will not get rid of them, they don't even fade :bang:
After claying...

The bonnet now feels incredibly smooth and glass like and if you crouch down to the same level as it, its very glossy so the clay is doing its job, but the spots won't budge!

Any advice?

So I went to America for a couple of weeks in the summer and whilst I was out there apparently it rained continuously in the UK, whats new right? Well for the time I was away Char' sat in the same place in said rain for 2 weeks, when I returned I've been busy moving my stuff to my new uni house etc and only got round to washing her yesterday (so its now been a month). After washing I noticed some water spots that will not wash away :(
They don't photograph very well but are a lot more obvious in person,

(They're the lighter coloured/milky blobs)
The bonnet is covered in them (presumably where the rain water sat and did not drain away, damn flat bonnet).

So I got my trusty clay bar out and for the life of me it will not get rid of them, they don't even fade :bang:
After claying...

The bonnet now feels incredibly smooth and glass like and if you crouch down to the same level as it, its very glossy so the clay is doing its job, but the spots won't budge!

Any advice?

Sounds like moisture trapped between the wax and paint, same happened on Victoria's tailgate with the GB badge when we went to Italy and back in the summer.

I think you can polish / cut it out, and been told it might sort itself out, but I've left it for the time being TBH.
andymonty any ideas :confused:

I have very unfortunate news. About 6 weeks ago I was admitted to hospital following multiple seizures, I spent a few days in and then was discharged, over the next few weeks I had further seizures and had several scans etc. Turns out I'm now epileptic, fortunately I've been put on an anti-seizure drug and for the time being it has been controlling my seizures, the bad news is that I've been banned from driving for a year as is standard procedure for epileptics. I have nowhere to safely store Char' for a year and honestly do not want the worry of leaving her for a full year undriven left outside, especially over winter :(
As hard as this decision has been I have decided that I am going to sell her, it pains me to part with this Panda that I fell in love with 2.5 years ago, sold my modern Grande Punto for and used as a daily ever since. I well and truly caught the Panda bug and maybe one day when I'm allowed to drive again I'll be in another but for now its farewell Charmanda :cry:

I'll be putting up an advert in the classifieds here soon and listing her on eBay at some point. If anybody is immediately interested your welcome to send me a message on here.
I'll probably still hang about in this part of the forum as I can't escape the bonkers ramblings that are usually completely irrelevant but make the Panda section what it is :)

Very sorry to hear of your news. Primarily I wish all the best for your personal future, but also for the future of Char'. I hope a good home is found where you can keep in contact with your pride and joy. Glad to hear that you'll keep in contact with us :)

Back