General Changing the sterio

Currently reading:
General Changing the sterio

Steve Mace

Panda '57 derv.
I'd like the change the existing factory sterio to one with a USB on the front. So I've got the new sterio plus replacement fascia plus rods to get the old unit out. Easy me thinks. Well I can get the old radio out but the problem is the metal frame that holds the old unit. This is held in place by two screws each side and, at the bottom, a metal tab that's held by an allen bolt to the bulkhead. Screws were easy but the bolt was/is a pig. I eventually managed to get it to turn but it must have a nut on the other side so now it's just turning round and round and no way to get access to the nut that's on the other side. :-( Anyone else had this problem? I suppose I could just get in with a hacksaw blade and chop the metal tab off close to the frame but is there a neater way. The lack of an ACC setting on the ignition switch is a pain as well. I could run an always on power feed (in fact there's already an always on power line to the sterio anyway so I could just double that up with the switched power to the sterio) but then it's a case of having to turn the radio off all the time - rapidly loosing interest in this :-(

I had a search for posts before asking :)

Loads of people talking about fitting alternative radios but no on seems to mention this offending allen bolt..... :-(

I swapped mine over as soon as i got the car two years ago, i don't recall any problems with the cage, mine just had a '1 din' Blaupunkt unit, not the bespoke size unit in the higher spec models.
The good news on the power front is that its easy to run a switched live from the fuse box, I just did it on Friday! , I used a mini fuse with a fly lead , you can buy them on E-bay, find a fuse that goes dead with te ignition off & ferret a wire through from the radio area, be careful not to route it where the steering or pedals could cut it!
My radio now goes off when you shut the car down.

I did mine on the MJ sporting (y) removed the Non MP3 headunit quick smart.

Fitted a single DIN Pioneer with SD card slot as didn't fancy loosing my place each time I took the front off.

I didn't have a problem with removing the cage.. is it alan bolt ot torx (star)? Can't quite remember. I didn't bother with a removal tool - just sections from an old wire coat hanger :D.

It was plug and play with the head unit going off with ignision - no need to search for a switched live on mine :confused:. I had it in a 1999 brava before and needed to swap the red and yellow lives back to normal (it's the wrong way round in the Brava).

Fitting a direct feed from the battery to amp in the boot was more involved than any other car I've had... as was finding a 6" sub small enough te enable me to fit a pram in, sounding big enough to hold it's own(y)

Realise this is an older thread but I am planning to change the basic single din cd player in my Mylife to another single din unit with USB/MP3 support etc.

My understanding from searching the forum is that the panda should have the ISO connectors so I won't need an adapter. However, it's not clear - will I need any fascia trim? As far as I can see it should be a case of pop the old cd out and slot the new one in - possibly/probably having to swap the metal cage at the same time. Other than that are any plastics required?

Cheers!

They do have ISO connectors and although my swap was from OEM Double DIN to single DIN with replacement cubby-hole'd facia plate, it should be a straight swap. Having fanny'd around for months with new connectors and stuff trying to get the AUX option working for a iPhone/MP3 player, I gave up and bought a Sony with every type of connection option known to man available. Best of all it streams Music over Bluetooth so iPhone can sit neatly in its charging cradle and I just hit PLAY and off it goes. Should have done that in the first place.......

NOTE to anyone trying the Blue/Green/Yellow connector cable approach to getting MP3 input - this will only work if you can call up AUX when hitting the Source or CD button. Not all units have AUX available in the firmware, despite having the wiring diagram on the back suggesting that it is available.

Took me about 1/2 hour to fit a double din unit to my dash. if anyone wants any help then I should be at the Stanford hall meeting, bring some tools so the headunit can be fitted.

Back