General Changing the passenger side headlight bulb

Currently reading:
General Changing the passenger side headlight bulb

Re: Anyone Changed a Headlight Bulb???

I changed my nearside headlamp bulb last december-put a thread on then about it-after my local Fiat dealer wanted £33 to do it. After faffing around removing the battery and still finding there wasn't enough room to get the bulb cover off, I took off the n/s/f/ wheel, and undid the phillips screws on the inside of the wheelarch to pull back the plastic wheelarch cover, and found it easier to get to the bulb cover. I managed to do it, but not without grazing my knuckles.As I said at the time, it's a hell of a difficult job,which ought to be a lot easier.But if I had to do it again, I would; once you get the wheelarch cover of it's a lot easier.

i'm an electronics technician in the army and it took me and 2 other techs (one of whom repairs the electrics on the apache helicopter) bout 2 hours to do - was a nightmare!!!!

It takes less than 5 mins a side to do the headlamp bulbs if you just turn full lock, leave bonnet open for extra light and undue and bend the wheel arch liner out the way.

If there's ever a local meet I may do it one armed with a stop watch as a party trick, heck I may tour fiat garages and impress them.

If a garage is taking more than 10 mins a side to do headlamp bulb I'd seriosly worry handing my car over to do cambelt ;)

i know the convo has gone off track a little but i will give my input on changing bulbs lol. if you remove the wheel arch liners and turn the wheels you can get your arm and head under and access the back of each headlight unit, however im not sure if your able to access the main beam bulb but i could be wrong. Also if your just after the driver side headlight then you can quite easily remove the wind screen washer resevior, theres a bolt at the top in open view and one at the bottom which i found easier to get to by lying under the car, they just bolt the two arms of the resivior onto the fram, once their off you can just push the resevior to one side, giving you the room to take the back covers off.

Hi, Newbie here. We have Stilo JTD Multiwagon and had dipped beam bulbs go both sides within about 2 weeks of each other. Typical! Anyway, the driver's side wasn't too bad. The passenge side required the battery cover off and I detached the round grey collared connector to the left (as you look down) to get a bit better access. You just slide the grey collar to the right and it falls away.

I didn't need to move anything else but found a telescopic rod with a powerful magnet on the end (bought at a £ shop) very handy for getting the old bulb out and lowering, turning and inserting the new bulb. Don't forget to re-attach the round connector with the grey plastic collar to the left of the headlight cluster or the new bulb won't work - I did, and inserted a 2nd bulb before realising my mistake.

I do have q slim hands and long fingers. Anyone with sausage fingers is going to struggle!

Now all I have to do is work out how to change a going rotten seal on the panoramic bladed sunroof....

My turn to do the nearside today :cry:

Last time I did it (purely for a bulb upgrade) it was a nightmare job and I ended up doing twice as I'd not seated the bulb in its holder properly :bang:

This time I was more confident - big mistake.

Last time nothing got broken but this time managed to break the plastic clip (the one you can't see that holds the weatherproof cap on). :doh:

Ended up removing road wheel & wheel liner completely but even then was forced to remove battery tray (3 bolts hold it at the bottom)

The job would be a lot easier if it wasn't a JTD

As you can see 3 obstructions stop you removing the cover:

• Battery cage
  • Wing reinforcing strut
  • Intercooler

Attachments

• back_of_headlight.JPG
    back_of_headlight.JPG
    532.6 KB · Views: 80
Hi All
I have only done the n/side twice so far, not much of a problem but I am lucky to have 2 foot long fingers.
I found if you unclip the multi plug at the top, the cover comes off quit easily, if you park facing a wall, when you have fitted the bulb you can turn on the lights and see if the beam looks right (bulb seated properly) before refitting the cover, my cover now lives in the boot.
Good luck

Hi All
I have only done the n/side twice so far, not much of a problem but I am lucky to have 2 foot long fingers.
I found if you unclip the multi plug at the top, the cover comes off quit easily, if you park facing a wall, when you have fitted the bulb you can turn on the lights and see if the beam looks right (bulb seated properly) before refitting the cover, my cover now lives in the boot.
Good luck
As I've said as long as you don't drive a JTD then it shouldn't be too bad.

How you approach the job purely depends on what Stilo you drive.

I'd strongly recommend you refit that cover and do the job properly. Should be a doddle for you once you've removed the wheel liner (which is actually easier than you think) :)

Re: Stupid Stilo Lights

I used a telescopic magnet thingy I bought from a £1 shop. With this I could hold the bulb, lower it parallel to the light housing through the small gap, twizzle the bulb through 90 degrees and then hold it in place with a long screwdriver whilst I flicked the retaining clips back.

On my JTD I also pulled off the round connector just to the left of the light housing to get a bit more access. Just took the battery cover off, no need to remove the battery.

Re: Stupid Stilo Lights

On my JTD I also pulled off the round connector just to the left of the light housing to get a bit more access. Just took the battery cover off, no need to remove the battery.
Hmmm.... sooner you than me :chin: I don't like interfering with the electrics on a Stilo too much - at least whilst it's working ;)

Removing the battery doesn't help much at all but part removing the whole battery cage makes a big difference.

mag tool.JPG
Yes, like this works well

connector 1.JPG
The round connector gives a lot more access, just push in this clip and it's a straight pull to disconnect it

Good tip is remove the lamp wire connector and attach the magnetic tool when removing the bulb but have the electrical connector already on when finally aligning so you can guide it and hold it with the wire whilst attaching the spring clips with one finger

bulb alignment.JPG
Absolute must
To be sure you have inserted the bulb correctly, look through the front lens before you put the spring clips on and make sure the bulb is aligned directly behind the reflector

Last edited:
It always pays to check

I replaced the N/S headlight lamp last week by the 'removal of undershield method'. No problem, fitted new lamp all working, everything back together, 20mins. Now noticed that the N/S lamp is shining lower than the O/S lamp, looks like it is not seated properly in the lamp holder, so have to do again, but now it is about -6 up here in Scotland!! So anyone fitting new headlight lamps, double check alignment before boxing everything up again!

Replacement left bulb (headlight)

Is it possible change left bulb without moving battery ?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Replacement left bulb (headlight)

yes it is (maybe dependent on model) I have a 1.2 and have done it twice now with the battery in only problem is it's fiddley and most of your arm and hand remain behind it...................about 1/2 hour it takes me

yes it is (maybe dependent on model) I have a 1.2 and have done it twice now with the battery in only problem is it's fiddley and most of your arm and hand remain behind it...................about 1/2 hour it takes me and lots of swearing

:eek: :p

I've only fiddled with the covers before (which were the hardest bits on sisters mk3 Panda of similar design) and that was do able with battery in (y)

Jon.

Just a thought, can you take out the headlight assembley and replace the bulb away from the vehicle. Mine's gone as well so have the same issue.

What ever way you look at it its a pain, I done mine by turning the wheels on a lock and removing the wheel arch trim and reaching up, its still a hard fiddly job and next time mine go I'll shall pay someone else to do it, you will probably knock the lights out of alignment too so you will need that done too, make sure there are know little children about as there will be lots of swearing - lol

Back