General Changing the passenger side headlight bulb

Currently reading:
General Changing the passenger side headlight bulb

Re: Head Light Bulb Fitting

heh heh, headlight bulbs :D

Some people like to remove battery/washer bottle etc, others, myself included, prefer to drop the entire front bumper and remover the clusters to work on 'on the bench'. All depends on how patient you are and your knowledge of how to carry out the tasks. As Argo said, there's a few post already partaining to this subject with in depth instructions.

Re: Anyone Changed a Headlight Bulb???

My passengers side headlight went the other day. I managed to get a new bulb fited by the AA ad thy only charged £9 (the cost of the bulb). They did quote £10 fitting but when it came own to it they didn't charge me fitting. Mint

I had the headlight bulbs changed on my Stilo Abarth last week, this was done at my local motosave.

I saw how they changed them and at first I thought it would be a huge job, but to be honest its not that big a job just un expected.

If you turn the steering wheel fully so that you can get access to the wheel arch liner, remove the screws from the liner and pull back enough. You will find there is enough room to get your arm in and change the bulb from there

Hope this helps

Adam

I don't think this has been mentioned here but had info regarding changing N/side bulbs from another source [DET for fiat] and he said that if we remove the battery and also the battery tray we will have masses of room and access to the bulbs on that side [great when you know how innit] :D

I am sure the battery tray trick has been mentioned a few times on here before; I actually started to do that myself, but decided to leave it in situ, and just remove the battery. It worked :eek:

Changed mine today 20-30 minute Job.

No need to remove battery or Wheel arch liner
As follows
1,Disconnect BATTERY NEGATIVE.
1,Disconnected Multiplug to Lamp Cluster.
2,Unclipped rear cover.
3,Disconnect plug to bulb then removed each limb of retaining clip.
4,Removed Knaffed bulb.
5,Clip came adrift during above so used mechanics telescopic mirror to view whilst refitting it. (Held it up with fingers Right hand)
6,Fitted replacement bulb With left hand (Handled it with tissue paper as sweat etc on your fingers sticks to the glass and this reduces the Halogon Cycle/Life of bulb) Lowered retaining clip carefully and located bottom limbs of clip.
7,Examined plug to bulb to ensure no signs of corrosion/overheating etc and reconnected.
8,Refitted rear cover
9,Examined Lamp Cluster Multiplug applied WAXOYL to this and reconnected
10,Reconnected Battery.

so i have cleared my weekend after the fight i had with the rear bulbs, should be fun:D

You had trouble with the rears?! Have fun with the fronts then :( I bottled it with the front taking wiper bottle and battery and tray out...I dropped then whole front bumper off ad removed the clusters!

would you say that would be less hastle then, seen as i am replacing all bulbs on both sides?

That's something only you can deicde. I know I've just made it sound like a life altering decision, but there are some people who say doing it that way's a really good way to screw up you allignment! It's not a massively difficult job doing it that way, provided you've got the hardware. And a extra pair of hands wouldn't hurt, especially when it comes to lining the bumper back up again.

30 mins to change a Headlight Bulb

Hi, had my n/s dipped headlight bulb go day before yesterday - found out on drive to work in the dark.:mad:

Thought this'd be an easy job to do in my lunch hour, but nearly had a panic attack when I opened up the bonnet. :yuck:

Having read all the posts I thought that this was going to be a mother of a job, and decided that the best way was to drop the front bumper, and pull the headlight cluster forward - this was the method suggested in a Fiat Technical manual I'd downloaded some time ago - but the actual process of removing the bumper was not part of the manual.:(

Took this pm off - having to do the job in the daylight - and giving myself plenty of time.

Couldn't get the tork screws out of the top of the bumper - would need copius amounts of WD40 to shift them, so thought I'd give it a go and try and get through the wheel arch.

I'd previously done this to replace the horn (on the drivers side).

To my surprise it couldn't have been easier - job done in less than 30 mins :D

The longest job was actually jacking the car up, and removing and then refitting the wheel :)

So, to summarise:
1) Remove Battery cover - easier to get at the wiring loom to headlight cluster
2) Remove wiring loom.
3) Jack car up and remove wheel
4) Open up wheel arch liner - 4 screws, and pull back over suspension/ wheel mounting - this will give you plenty of room.
5) remove back plate to headlights
6) Locate bulb, and remove electrical connector.
7)Open clip holding bulb, and replace bulb.
8) reverse all of the above.

Now I'm 6 foot, and not particularly skinny or anything, but had plenty of room - could get nearly all of upper body into arch (make sure car securely jacked, and blocked out - for you H&S freaks) - and couldn't have been happier. My knuckles are intact, lights working, and blood pressure restored to normal :D

If there's a next time, I reckon I could get the job done in twenty mins (y)

Just this minute finished changing dipped beam on passenger side, IT WAS A PIAN IN THE BACKSIDE !!!! the clip thingy came off and took ages of trying to get back on , took 2 hours al together and alot of swearing !!! in the end managed to reach up inside from underneath whilst a mate held it in place , stressed as now the and my hand is bleeding !!!!!:mad:

Re: jtd headlight change - don't !

Thank you for your reply. Is the dipped beam bulb under the larger of the two covers on the rear of the head light, im sorry if i seem a bit confused as i have taken the battery off to charge it so cant look at the moment with the lights on?

hydie331

Yes; it's under the big cover which is right in the corner.

It's difficult to see let alone access easily but does help to have small hands :)

Don't forget you must actually unclip the wire clip completely at one end in order to remove the black cover completely.

I've changed my drivers side headlights twice, and my passenger side headlight 3 times! Driver side is a doddle. I could do that all day long. The passenger side, 5 minutes to change the bulb and half an hour fidgeting with the weather cover trying to get it back on properly, which it isn't!

And for the record, i went from original bulbs, to philips extreme +80. Highly recommended for performance but the passenger side blew after only a few months which led me to having to refit an emergency standard bulb.

Then changed them to the latest osram nightbreaker +90 and i can honestly say i prefer the philips. Pity one went and dented my confidence in their reliability considering i paid £28 compared to £18 for the osrams!

And for the record, i went from original bulbs, to philips extreme +80. Highly recommended for performance but the passenger side blew after only a few months which led me to having to refit an emergency standard bulb.

I upgraded to the extreme +80's for main beam on the JTD... perform well along the factory fit HID's fitted to dipped beam only. Been on since October so hoping i'm not due a blown one any time soon...

The brilliance bulbs I mentioned at the start of the thread were fitted to my previous 1.6... still got scars to prove :D

Replacing Passager side Headlight

how easy is it to replace the Passanger side Headlight theres a guide here for changing the light bulb. Would this be the same kind of thing with removing the wheel arch or would it have to take the bumper off?

What tools would i need?

Re: Replacing Passager side Headlight

how easy is it to replace the Passanger side Headlight theres a guide here for changing the light bulb. Would this be the same kind of thing with removing the wheel arch or would it have to take the bumper off?

What tools would i need?

Yes, take bumper off to remove headlights. You need a set of Torx keys, 10mm spanner and a + screwdriver.
Undo front half of wheel arch liners.
Reach behind them and undo torx bolts securing bumper to wing.
Remove I (I think they are bolts) along lower edge of bumper, under the car.
Remove 4 torx bolts along the top front edge of bumper and it comes off.
You can then see the 3 headlight mounting bolts and it will come out easily.

Re: Replacing Passager side Headlight

Hi,

I did this last week. if you remove the battery cover removethe battery and then remove the battery case you then have loads of oom to change the bulb. it took about 30 mins to do but now i know how to do it.

Back