Technical HEADLIGHT HEADACHE

Currently reading:
Technical HEADLIGHT HEADACHE

Hi Gang..
Does anyone know where i can get a UK Driver's side headlight unit for my 2005 Stilo Schumacher gp? i just got one from fleabay that was promised as a 3 door unit..
What comes through the door ??? a bloody 5 door one There are so many different part numbers from various manufacturers. i need a built in fog light and a levelling motor
It is like searching for rocking horse s*it..
Any help would be very much appreciated as my xmas day visiting is buggered.
PS
I have to change it as the one i have will not adjust and it's failing it's MOT..

Solution
Hi Gang..
Does anyone know where i can get a UK Driver's side headlight unit for my 2005 Stilo Schumacher gp? i just got one from fleabay that was promised as a 3 door unit..
What comes through the door ??? a bloody 5 door one There are so many different part numbers from various manufacturers. i need a built in fog light and a levelling motor
PS
I have to change it as the one i have will not adjust and it's failing it's MOT..
A starting point would be your VIN number followed by using ePER. This should give you a part number or two and then you can see if there is a modification history entry and the...
Hi Gang..
PS
Nothing at shop4parts...?
(A little old maybe..?)

Is the mechanism swappable..?

When mine stuck I did find the motors on ebay as they fitted a number of cars, but I was too mean to spend that cash on an old Stilo, so I cable tied the headlights into one position and adjusted the whole unit to suit. Okay it may not be in strict accordance with the testing spec but in 4 years its never failed (i.e. they have never tested that function).

Nothing at shop4parts...?
(A little old maybe..?)

Is the mechanism swappable..?
Sorry to hear your woes, unique lights will take some finding you may have to fit a standard light temporarily at least.
Have a Panda motor it might be the same part but need to have the lamp lens off to fix it into the Panda headlight so this would probably need your lens off the headlight. The lens cracked removing this off a busted headliuight I was hoping to repair and keep as a spare.. P/N 0 307 853 303 3 wires. Free if you could use it.
See pic https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/head-light.504960/#post-4716602

Sorry to hear your woes, unique lights will take some finding you may have to fit a standard light temporarily at least.
Have a Panda motor it might be the same part but need to have the lamp lens off to fix it into the Panda headlight so this would probably need your lens off the headlight. The lens cracked removing this off a busted headliuight I was hoping to repair and keep as a spare.. P/N 0 307 853 303 3 wires. Free if you could use it.
See pic https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/head-light.504960/#post-4716602
The levelling motor is fine .. it's the small white plastic manual beam adjuster thats broken.. it just turns and turns and doesn't move the beam.

Unfortnately that was our problem. Ours had been broken by a helpful garage. If you can get the lens off the light I think it likely it could be mended. Sounds as if the threads gone. a plastic bolt and a captive nut give scope for repair. You may get the adjuster off a broken standard light from a scrappie. Those jump lights/fogs are a great thing, I had them on a Renault 12TS. problem was back then a standard light was £30 new and my lights were £200!

Hi Gang..
PS
A starting point would be your VIN number followed by using ePER. This should give you a part number or two and then you can see if there is a modification history entry and the effective date. Usually a later mod part is compatible with the earlier vehicles but hopefully ePER will tell you all you need to know.

With a part number your can then Web search on that.

Solution
No I haven't. Thanks for that mate. The trouble is the adjusters have to come out through the front of the headlight as they have a moulded nut shape on the end that connects to the reflective peice.. It's bigger than the hole. And it's impossible the remove the lens without wrecking the whole unit.

A starting point would be your VIN number followed by using ePER. This should give you a part number or two and then you can see if there is a modification history entry and the effective date. Usually a later mod part is compatible with the earlier vehicles but hopefully ePER will tell you all you need to know.

With a part number your can then Web search on that.
I have given my vin to a number of sellers and they can't find it on their registers.

Hiya Mate,
Here's the vin plate.. I have bought 5 headlights so far . all promised as 3 door but none fit. i got the car home and had a fiddle myself and sprayed wd 40 into the adjusting screws.. refitted the headlight (kind of) and managed to get the beam level with the other side. but i cannot judge side to side beam . also ..Now the full beam seems off.. Any way if it fails the next MOT on 2nd Jan . i'll be getting rid... i just can't justify keeping throwing money at it anymore.. I'll either scrap it of sell it as MOT failure with shite paint. Shame really but it's bleeding me dry.
It's my only car so i can't keep getting let down with silly things that turn into a massive hassle..

Attachments

• STILO VIN NUMBER TAG.JPG
    STILO VIN NUMBER TAG.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Hiya Mate,
Here's the vin plate.. I have bought 5 headlights so far . all promised as 3 door but none fit. i got the car home and had a fiddle myself and sprayed wd 40 into the adjusting screws.. refitted the headlight (kind of) and managed to get the beam level with the other side. but i cannot judge side to side beam . also ..Now the full beam seems off.. Any way if it fails the next MOT on 2nd Jan . i'll be getting rid... i just can't justify keeping throwing money at it anymore.. I'll either scrap it of sell it as MOT failure with shite paint. Shame really but it's bleeding me dry.
It's my only car so i can't keep getting let down with silly things that turn into a massive hassle..
So here is some info on your car:
2V - STILO F.L.L. 2003 (2003-2007)

192.3SZ.2.0 - BN SCHUMACHER 2.4 MPI 20V 170CV 125KW E3+D4+EODB-3P
Engine: 4425405 Vehicle: 00554666 Manuf. date: 15/4/2005
SPECIAL VERSIONS.S. SCHUMACHER FL 2003(LV25)
M2.4 20V(M30)
VSEDAN ABARTH 3D FL 2003(V15)
P3 DOORS(P3)

The integral fog lamps were only available with the normal Halogen headlights as far as I can tell. The HID Gas Discharge versions appear to not have the integral fog lamps.

So I'm seeing a P/N:

51712708HEADLAMP

with a previous version of: P/N:46758811

If I web search on Fiat 51712708 I'm seeing listingngs on https://www.auto-doc.ie/car-parts/oem/51712708 and https://tuynder.co.uk/car-parts/headlight-51712708/

WARNING! As always when people quote you part numbers you need to verify these yourself.

Here is the link to the ePER page for your car:

So here is some info on your car:
2V - STILO F.L.L. 2003 (2003-2007)

192.3SZ.2.0 - BN SCHUMACHER 2.4 MPI 20V 170CV 125KW E3+D4+EODB-3P
Engine: 4425405 Vehicle: 00554666 Manuf. date: 15/4/2005
SPECIAL VERSIONS.S. SCHUMACHER FL 2003(LV25)
M2.4 20V(M30)
VSEDAN ABARTH 3D FL 2003(V15)
P3 DOORS(P3)

The integral fog lamps were only available with the normal Halogen headlights as far as I can tell. The HID Gas Discharge versions appear to not have the integral fog lamps.

So I'm seeing a P/N:

51712708HEADLAMP

with a previous version of: P/N:46758811

If I web search on Fiat 51712708 I'm seeing listingngs on https://www.auto-doc.ie/car-parts/oem/51712708 and https://tuynder.co.uk/car-parts/headlight-51712708/

WARNING! As always when people quote you part numbers you need to verify these yourself.

Here is the link to the ePER page for your car:

Hiya,
That's brilliant. Thankyou very much.
The only question I have is that .will a LHD Light be adjustable for RHD? The ones on Autodoc don't seem to have foglights. I know this isn't a MOT fail as you only need rear foglights. I'll take it in .and if it fails.ill look at getting a pair. Perhaps... More expense ha ha
Thankyou again.
Kind regards
Jay

Hiya,
That's brilliant. Thankyou very much.
The only question I have is that .will a LHD Light be adjustable for RHD? The ones on Autodoc don't seem to have foglights. I know this isn't a MOT fail as you only need rear foglights. I'll take it in .and if it fails.ill look at getting a pair. Perhaps... More expense ha ha
Thankyou again.
Kind regards
Jay
An arrow moulded into the top of the clear plastc lens indicates which direction the headlamp dips to. So a LHD lamp would not be suitable for a RHD car.

Back