General Head light

Currently reading:
General Head light

Joanna1976

Fiat 500L 2014 5 door .
My passenger head light makes a buzzing sound when on and does not reflect on road as well as driver side have changed bulbs but still no good please help

Loose connections at the plug just might buzz or a loose bulb. Try checking neither bulb nor lighting plug are loose and the bulb is sitting flat against the back of the head light. Anticipate the bulb failing. Disturbing bulbs is often enought to finish them off so be gentle and make checks when the bulb is cold. Dont touch the 'glass' of the bulb as oils in the skin are enough to stain and damge bulbs when they get hot. Try using the electric leveling up and down a few times to check its not related to that,

Loose connections at the plug just might buzz or a loose bulb. Try checking neither bulb nor lighting plug are loose and the bulb is sitting flat against the back of the head light. Anticipate the bulb failing. Disturbing bulbs is often enought to finish them off so be gentle and make checks when the bulb is cold. Dont touch the 'glass' of the bulb as oils in the skin are enough to stain and damge bulbs when they get hot. Try using the electric leveling up and down a few times to check its not related to that,
Have replaced bulb with new and tried led bulb also tried electric leveling but still the same even swapped the bulb from drivers sde but still same

Is the whole light unit stable . i.e can you move the light be applying pressure up and down on the light lens. I wonder if the lamp leveler is running continuously. Are you anywhere near Dereham?
Light is fixed no movement in light .im in norfolk so not far from Dereham

Light is fixed no movement in light .im in norfolk so not far from Dereham
I am just a few miles away and would give an opinion on seeing if this of interest. Could meet at Tesco preferably in day light. Feel free to message me on here if you choose and we can arrange

I am just a few miles away and would give an opinion on seeing if this of interest. Could meet at Tesco preferably in day light. Feel free to message me on here if you choose and we can arrange
Will see what day i can possibly get off from work and get back to you as soon as i can thankyou

In fact im in car now and its more a woring sound like a motor trying to start i have recorded it and i hope you can hear it

I have googled it. Google buzzing headlight.
I think you have a problem with the headlamp levelling motor. Inside the light is a small electric motor that controls the level of the lights from the dashboard somewhere. Its like a bolt with a little ball on the end. The notor turns the bolt in or out to selct the lights aim. If the ball becomes detached it will hunt back and fore trying to find the correct position, On a few, but not many cars it can be replaced if faulty. The problem can be either ball come out of socket or a broken lamp. Because the headlight would have to be removed to repair it, and it might not stay repaired, it most likely will be chaper to buy another headlight if this is the case. I recently had to change my daughters light on her Panda. I bought a proper top quality light to replace it and it was a bit fiddlydoing the job so budget is 2 hours labour minimum. Our light was from shop4parts.co.uk and was £135 net of the discount for being a paid up member of the Forum. The lights can be had second hand but like all Fiat plastic things they are fragile. Other lights were available new from about £55 on ebay but you must be sure you are getting one thats suitable for a right hand drive car. I dismembered the old headlight to get the motor out, and on the Panda at least repair would not be an option.

Unfortunately its MOT critical so must be sorted before yur next MOT. Its just possible that it could be repaired but the time element will be the same. If you can find a genuine Fiat light second hand that would be the best way to go costwise. Whatever you do DONT buy a new light direct from Fiat as they will ensure you need a second mortgage!!

This diagnosis would fit the affected light having dropped low. Its not likely to make things worse by continuing to use it.

Last edited:
I have googled it. Google buzzing headlight.
I think you have a problem with the headlamp levelling motor. Inside the light is a small electric motor that controls the level of the lights from the dashboard somewhere. Its like a bolt with a little ball on the end. The notor yrns the bolt in or out to selct the lights aim. If the ball becomes detached it will hunt back and fore trying to find the correct position, OIn a few, but not many cars it can be replaced if faulty. The problem can be either ball come out of socket or a broken lamp. Because the headlight would have to be removed to repair it, and it might not stay repaired, it most likely will be chaper to buy another headlight if this is the case. I recently had to change my daughters light on her Panda. I bought a proper top quality light to replace it and it was a bit fiddlydoing the job so budget is 2 hours labour minimum. Our light was from shop4parts.co.uk and was £135 net of the discount for being a pid up member of the Forum. The lights can be had second hand but like all Fiat plastic things they are fragile. Other lights were available new from about £55 on ebay but you must be sure you are getting one thats suitable for a right hand drive car. I dismembered the old headlight to get the motor out, and on the Panda at least repair would not be an option.

Unfortunately its MOT critical so must be sorted before yur next MOT. Its just possible that it could be repaired but the time element will be the same. If you can find a genuine Fiat light second hand that would be the best way to go costwise. Whatever you do DONT buy a new light direct from Fiat as they will ensure you need a second mortgage!!

This diagnosis would fit the affected light having dropped low. Its not likely to make things worse by continuing to use it.
Thankyou for all your help

This is the spaghetti from inside a Panda headlight. The part number on the motor is visible. If this part is of any use to anyone I have it available and dont want it. Just kept out of curiosity. It might be common to lots of headlights

Attachments

• 20231207_164336 Motor.jpg
    20231207_164336 Motor.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20231207_164326 (1).jpg
    20231207_164326 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Back