Technical Catastrophic Clutch Failure

Clutches are quite an easy job except for the mauling

But it’s also just as easy to get wrong

Drive plate wrong way round

Using longer bolts to pull the gearbox up

Hanging the weight of the gearbox off the input shaft

Excessive spine grease

Release bearing not located to the release fork properly

Just some examples I can think of from the top of my head.

I know of 2 panda gearboxes damaged by careless clutch change at a garage

As to grease or not the splines I do. Then wipe it mostly off. As I see it it’s not there to lubricate. More to stop surface rust if left unused. They are greased from factory

Going back to the original posters problem I suspect a small ding in the splines and the slightly out of balance of the plate is causing it to jam ever so slightly

A broken dremel cut off disc should get between the splines

But when my car is back here I will measure the location and throw of the release lever just to eliminate any possibility of the hydraulics before you drop the gearbox
I put the clutch plate round the wrong way in a Suzuki Jimmy once, it engaged first and reverse but nothing else…I still don’t know why and how this was possible as gear selector and selection should have been possible on all or none, very strange
PS I’ve NEVER done it since

It was working fine before the release bearing failed

You changed the damaged parts

And you have the right amount of movement at the clutch slave

The drive plate slides easy on the splines

I don’t understand why it’s not working

Have to have a think
Just a little suggestion if possible on your vehicle, using a suitable lever push the release arm to it's maximum travel, don't force it but lock it into place. Then start car and see if car goes into the gears quietly with no issue (obviously you will have no drive) if it does then problem external, hydraulics etc. If it doesn't then another look inside the gearbox.
The only argument against this test would be if your replacement release arm and bushes were not as original condition.
Only do this test for a short while so as not to strain anything.

Also I see from a photo of a new arm they sit on a spline, I assume it has a master spline. Is there any chance it isn't on the master spline position, in which case the throw might be wrong. It may be possible to check/adjust that to correct position externally if careful .
Perhaps another member will advise.
Generally if centre plate reversed the thicker part fouls the flywheel centre/bolts meaning clutch cannot disengage at all.

Also I see from a photo of a new arm they sit on a spline, I assume it has a master spline. Is there any chance it isn't on the master spline position, in which case the throw might be wrong. It may be possible to check/adjust that to correct position externally if careful .
Perhaps another member will advise.
Generally if centre plate reversed the thicker part fouls the flywheel centre/bolts meaning clutch cannot disengage at all.
Yep one of the splines is wider and only fits one way

Hi All,

There is some rotational slop at release arm, mostly in shaft (a little on splined shaft), but that is due to new thicker clutch disc and flatter diaphragm spring as I understand?
Do you mean here

About 30 thousands or .7mm

Hardly detectable

I am pretty sure the slave is always pushing the the cup tight but have to wait until the cars here to confirm
A4C2DF3C-A6F4-486E-9AE7-48B635DE67F7.jpeg

I was thinking on the right hand side of your photo, yours looks a better quality part than the one I have just seen on eBay, but same principle.
I didn't know if it could be forced on out of line causing the clutch throw to be in the wrong position, do you think it possible?
1670964663600.png

I was thinking on the right hand side of your photo, yours looks a better quality part than the one I have just seen on eBay, but same principle.
I didn't know if it could be forced on out of line causing the clutch throw to be in the wrong position, do you think it possible?
View attachment 416193
Nothing “should” move

The fingers are welded to the shaft

And the shaft splines are keyed

I will try and get more measurements ASAP unfortunately it driver is poorly in bed at the moment

Nothing “should” move

The fingers are welded to the shaft

And the shaft splines are keyed

I will try and get more measurements ASAP unfortunately it driver is poorly in bed at the moment
Yes, I mentioned early I thought it would be keyed, but I have seen cases of cars were that has been "over ridden", I suppose also as driver mentioned lever was a pattern part so may not be OEM exactly:)

Bleed the clutch again but bring the pedal up slowly to avoid sucking air past the seals. If this helps, you'll need to get another master cylinder. Its a shame we can't get new seals but none are listed.
This last unit is reasonably priced and looks like the Borg & Beck I fitted.

I do the job with a wood batten between driver's seat back and pedal. Push down the pedal and hold with stick. Open and close the bleed nipple. Remove the pedal stick while bringing pedal up slowly. Repeat a few times. You'll need to top up the fluid reservoir every four or five pedal pushes. Go too low and it sucks in air.

Last edited:
Bleed the clutch again but bring the pedal up slowly to avoid sucking air past the seals. If this helps, you'll need to get another master cylinder. Its a shame we can't get new seals but none are listed.
This last unit is reasonably priced and looks like the Borg & Beck I fitted.

I do the job with a wood batten between driver's seat back and pedal. Push down the pedal and hold with stick. Open and close the bleed nipple. Remove the pedal stick while bringing pedal up slowly. Repeat a few times. You'll need to top up the fluid reservoir every four or five pedal pushes. Go too low and it sucks in air.
As an apprentice late 60s we always fitted brake and clutch seals which were readily available, as long as the job was done correctly using proper rubber grease etc, I would say they would last at least as long as some of today's pattern parts.
Girling brakes as fitted to Fords could be bled fairly quickly , but Lockheed often used on BMC etc. were less forgiving and as you say if pedal came back quickly the master cylinder outer seal would tuck in and allow air beck into the sytem, so you soon learnt not to do it.

All three pedals in the car at level with a straight edge over the top

There is no play between the slave a release lever

Here’s the best video I could get without stripping parts

Thanks Koalar,

That looks very similar to what I have. With the slave out, there is about 10mm or so of play in the release arm.

Have ordered new clutch, Birth release fork and bushes. Will be comparing/measurings bits once I get an opportunity to drop the 'box again.

Have you bled the clutch using the slow up method on the pedal? It would be a shame to open it up again to find master cylinder is the real culprit.

Have you replaced the shifter seal? It's extremely easy to incorrectly set the gear lever bias springs. When that happens, you can't find half of the gears.

Just a little suggestion if possible on your vehicle, using a suitable lever push the release arm to it's maximum travel, don't force it but lock it into place. Then start car and see if car goes into the gears quietly with no issue (obviously you will have no drive) if it does then problem external, hydraulics etc. If it doesn't then another look inside the gearbox.
The only argument against this test would be if your replacement release arm and bushes were not as original condition.
Only do this test for a short while so as not to strain anything.
As Dave says it would be a shame to open it up and find master cylinder the culprit.

Had quite a similar situation with my boy's Punto 1.4 8 valve - so clutch almost identical - The pedal was nice and light (as you'd expect when a new clutch cover assembly and pressure plate have been fitted due to the diaphragm being now almost "flat") however gear selection, first and reverse in particular, was poor but gearchanges on the move were good. Conclusion? clutch not freeing properly. Luckily I also have a 1.2 Panda 169 with a very similar clutch setup so I measured the release arm throwout on the Panda and Punto and found the Punto was only moving it's arm about half as far as the Panda. Replaced the master and slave cylinder (being a "newer" Punto - 2012 - the master was a pure sod to do and I actually handed it over to our local Fiat indy whilst I still had any fingers left) My boy ran her for a week after getting her back, but the pedal was still just not quite "right" so I bled it out again and it's been absolutely spot on for the last couple of years and is still fine.

So I believe it's often the hydraulics which are at fault - and other posts on here seem to support that assumption - but also, if it doesn't immediately feel "just right" it may well be because the new friction plate needs to bed down and/or it needs a wee bleed after being allowed to settle down for a while.
Agree with this. The splines do look less than ideally clean in the photos too.

The gearbox input shaft splines hardly see any movement at all. They simply allow the clutch driven plate to align when fitted and move as the friction surface wears. after fitting, the plate moves about 2mm over 50K to 75K miles. Total thickness drops by 4mm. However it does benefit from a good s ear of anti seize paste. This prevents any vibration fretting from damaging the splines.

My diesel now has the engine out. The clutch was replaced quite recently but it’s unlikely the master cylinder was changed. I’ll be doing it before the engine goes back in. Access with that big lump in place looked pretty miserable. Fiat even moved the fluid reservoir to LHS to make space.
It’s an easy enough job on petrol engine models. Two nuts, two pipes with hairpin clips (don’t let them ping away) and a ball joint that has to be levered off the pedal.

The gearbox input shaft splines hardly see any movement at all. They simply allow the clutch driven plate to align when fitted and move as the friction surface wears. after fitting, the plate moves about 2mm over 50K to 75K miles. Total thickness drops by 4mm. However it does benefit from a good s ear of anti seize paste. This prevents any vibration fretting from damaging the splines.
Not what I would use or do

Asking for trouble in my opinion

Back