Can DVD players become out dated

Currently reading:
Can DVD players become out dated

Helz said:
I bought a new one for the princely sum of £17.92 from Asda (a price which is yet to be beaten ;))
Here we go ----> ;) <----clicky

£9.99 - one of, BNIB, collection only :p

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hmmm, would have thought the player would continue to play regardless, I have a Bush 2008 from 2001 and it plays anything you put in it.

I appreciate some folks buying the cheap players cos it suits them but TBH the picture is shocking on the £20 ones, wait for a dark seen then play spot the artefacting!

What model number is the Samsung? My GF has a Samsung player and it's been fine.

Liam

The life on mars dvds it says are not dvds, the reeves and mortimer ones it freezes on the menu parts and it makes a loud wurr and clicking noise like its stuck, or on the 2nd disc it plays two seconds of footage, freezes and then plays 2 seconds of footage then freezes.... and so on.

It doesnt play the max and paddy work out dvd either, but previously has been good at paying dvd from the video shop that look like they have been used for coasters- these discs are brand new releases owned by me with not a mark on them

I remember the Matrix palava from back in the day, it was all to do with certain studios using newer encryptions to protect the discs or RCE to be precise, if yours plays the Matrix then it shouldn't be a problem.

See if you can access the set up menu to see what version of firmware you are running, have you tried the region free remote hack?

Liam

apparantly for this player there is no remote hack, you have to chip it :( always been a drawback for me.

Going to watch old dvds all this week to see if it will actually play anything to the end, all i have tested is that it loads the disc, recognises it and doesnt freeze.

I havent tried a cd in it tbh, I will give it an unplug, and try and get hold of dvd lens cleaner, although the manual says not to use one (?)

Will also try unplugging it tonght and see what happens tomorrow, but already had it unplugged for a few moments as i had to get a disc out that it froze on.

It just seems strange its all recent release it has a fit with, like they are getting more complex.

I doubt that samsung still support this model at all after I saw one for sale in cash converters for £20

The only difference in DVD's of late is that Sony uses a new CSS (another version of copyright protection) for it's own releases but again I doubt this would affect playback.

Has it took any knocks?

Does disabling the Quasi Pal option in the setup menus help at all?

Liam

More searching reveals that there can be issues with the player heating up excessively if not well ventilated. Is it stuck in somewhere?

Ran out of ideas now, you may have to bury it in the back garden and hit the net or high street I'm afraid.

Liam

bah, ive just payed £110 for my TV licence, and now my TV is slowly dying :cry:

now thats something to worry about :chin:

Attachments

• DSC00243.JPG
    DSC00243.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 9
Ive got a Sony DAV-S300 (shouldn't even be in england, my dad was solt it by curries and it was apparently the only one in UK stock and meant to be a spanish model) and it will play copies flawlessly unless they are NTSC and it throws a fit, and it won't touch CD-R/RW's but will play DVD-Rs (haven't tried DVD-RW's) no worries. Doesn't make sense, but its from around 2000 maybe. Thing is its my surround sound system or I'd happily buy a £20 special.

Back