Can DVD players become out dated

Currently reading:
Can DVD players become out dated

Recently I have noticed that my Samsung DVD player is having trouble with new DVDs, i.e; not playing them, saying bad disc, skipping, freezing etc.

When you put in an older DVD it plays fine. Whats going on? I have had the player since 98 and it is a good player, aprt from faulting on new discs? Could it be the lense might need cleaning or is it newer discs aqre more complex?

I dont think its that.

For example it'll play my copy of lock stock and 2 smoking barrels from 1998 but wont even recognise the discs from my life on mars box set i got last week, or the reeves and mortimer ones from a couple of months ago. All of these discs work faultlessly in my sony dvd recorder (which is crap for watching bought DVDs) and my brothers cheapo £20 asda jobbie, my folks crappy matsui thing and my mrs dvd tv thing- so it cant be faulty discs

From looking at the net the DVD player I have could have a firmware fault, so the player should not be able to play the matrix, but it does (?)

Going to give their customer support a call in the morning and see if anyone has reported the fault as older discs play ok

This happened to me lately and in this age of disposable goods, instead of buying a laser cleaner disc and cleaning it, I bought a new one for the princely sum of £17.92 from Asda (a price which is yet to be beaten ;)) and it's working fine (y)

If the Sony DVD recorder i have played discs properly without excesive freezing on layer changes and on screen graphics at every little function (required for recording by myself so dont want to keep turning them off and on) I would use that one and just scrap my old one or give it away. But it was a good player and i paid a lot for it 7 years ago and is working a lot better than it is now.

It could possibly be requiring a clean but i think its a software problem

Back