Budget Snow Tyres

Currently reading:
Budget Snow Tyres

To be fair these won't do any damage to the road as they'll be so soft what the road will mash them up immediately.

Proper studs are usually tungsten carbide which is pretty darn hard, hence why you'd use it for tyre studs. Normal everyday screws will be mashed up in miles if they don't cause almost instant punctures on all 4 corners :D

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=151

Really? Have you seen the cheap, imported sh*t our roads are being re-surfaced with these days?

But lol @ the idea of Gaz in his golf tearing up tarmac with his destroyed space savers. LOL.

Really? Have you seen the cheap, imported sh*t our roads are being re-surfaced with these days?

But lol @ the idea of Gaz in his golf tearing up tarmac with his destroyed space savers. LOL.

Like I said, proper studded tyres have tungsten carbide studs so they last. The steel in your average household screw probably won't stand up to even a mile of driving.

OMG- The thread title was SNOW tyres not rain tyres.

The whole principle was for tyres that improve grip in snow (and ice) these are forms of water in a frozen state and as such do not need to be "displaced" by the tyre.

Equally the speed restriction on spacesavers is largely to avoid overheating the tyre, this is hardly likely to occur at -5 degrees is it?

Tyre + Pressure + Heat in tyre = Snow into water
When its snowed alot, the snow become slush which is water and ice yes? The ice will melt into more water? so Water displacement is JUST as vital yes?
And Of corse Snow is displaced by a tyre! dont you see if flick up behind cars and the treads been shiny wet?
A tyre displaces air on a dry road
A tyre Displaces water when wet
A Tyre displaces snow/slush when cold as hell
Ice is a different thing altogether, a few screws do NOTHING

To be fair these won't do any damage to the road as they'll be so soft what the road will mash them up immediately.

Proper studs are usually tungsten carbide which is pretty darn hard, hence why you'd use it for tyre studs. Normal everyday screws will be mashed up in miles if they don't cause almost instant punctures on all 4 corners :D

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=151
It will yea :) The tyre is soft material, where the studs go is a reinforced Spot to prevent it digging in to much

But driving your car knowing it's not up to the MOT standard is an offence in itself is it not?

Dom
Yup, a known fault on the car which you then continue to drive around with is illegal and could face points or worse banned from driving!
If it was that bad - i hope you like bending over for soap
So we'll send the OP a nice FF card shall well? lol

hence if the car fails its MOT early, and you continue to drive on old one, you are driving a car with a known defect = Blue flashing lights

Ziggy

Like I said, proper studded tyres have tungsten carbide studs so they last. The steel in your average household screw probably won't stand up to even a mile of driving.

Why do you need tungsten Carbide?

Unless I've missed some important point I'm pretty sure that steel screws are still harder than snow or ice so will almost certainly withstand more than a mile of driving:bang:

Yup, a known fault on the car which you then continue to drive around with is illegal and could face points or worse banned from driving!
If it was that bad - i hope you like bending over for soap
So we'll send the OP a nice FF card shall well? lol

hence if the car fails its MOT early, and you continue to drive on old one, you are driving a car with a known defect = Blue flashing lights

Ziggy

Good god you know as little about the law as you do tyres, even if any offence was comitted it would non imprisonable.

The important part of your post is KNOWN fault, I don't know it's a fault, just because somebody on a car forum says it's illegal doesn't make it so.

And you'll be handed a massive bill (possibly in to the millions) for a full road closure and re-surfacing works.

HaHa, I'd love to see the council trying to prove that in court.

They don't close & resurface a road with a pothole the size of a football in it.

Unless I've missed some important point I'm pretty sure that steel screws are still harder than snow or ice so will almost certainly withstand more than a mile of driving:bang:

NO BECAUSE THEY WILL DIG INTO THE BLOODY TYRE AND BE FLUSH WITH THE TREAD! IT WILL NAFF ALL!!!!

Good god you know as little about the law as you do tyres, even if any offence was comitted it would non imprisonable.

The important part of your post is KNOWN fault, I don't know it's a fault, just because somebody on a car forum says it's illegal doesn't make it so.

omg.... if there was a retard award mate - you've won it hands down!

Tyre + Pressure + Heat in tyre = Snow into water
When its snowed alot, the snow become slush which is water and ice yes? The ice will melt into more water? so Water displacement is JUST as vital yes?
And Of corse Snow is displaced by a tyre! dont you see if flick up behind cars and the treads been shiny wet?
A tyre displaces air on a dry road
A tyre Displaces water when wet
A Tyre displaces snow/slush when cold as hell
Ice is a different thing altogether, a few screws do NOTHING

I bet you were a wizz at physics at school.

Please try to grasp the concept that snow & ice do not melt as soon as they come into contact with a car tyre especially at sub zero temperatures, when a car tyre drives over fresh snow it generally compacts it, it doesn't thaw it instantly.

But if you insist on harping on about water,Temp spares are skinny so have a high load to area ratio, meaning less likely to ride over the water, also because they are skinny they dont create that much of a "bow wave" therefore have a reduced risk of aquaplaning

Death by Dangerous Driving is imprisonable

Legislation: Road Traffic Act 1988 s.1

Statutory Limitations & Maximum Penalty: 14 years imprisonment with effect from 27/02/2007(increased from 10 years imprisonment by s.285 Criminal Justice Act 2003)

Sentencing Range:

12 months imprisonment - 14 years imprisonment (see below for details of starting points dependent on aggravating factors)
Disqualification for minimum 2 years
Obligatory endorsement
Mandatory disqualification until passes extended driving test

Aggravating factors
driving a poorly maintained or dangerously loaded vehicle, especially where this has been motivated by commercial concerns

199CC-main.jpg

Why do you need tungsten Carbide?

ROFL. You're a complete gimptard.

The problem comes when you're not on ice..... what then? How often have you seen roads everywhere 100% covered in ice.

Hi - I am new to the forum and have read all the posts on here both positive and negative. We have a lot of tracks and private road where we live is in the back of beyond and the last two years were a nightmare. Perhaps these tyres would not be good on roads but on what we were driving on last year, could make a big difference to us as we have to slide along for more than a mile to pick up the post at the end of our road. I wonder if you would be kind enough to let me know what items I would need to alleviate our problem and instructions, should we get the awful ice and snow again.

Hi - I am new to the forum and have read all the posts on here both positive and negative. We have a lot of tracks and private road where we live is in the back of beyond and the last two years were a nightmare. Perhaps these tyres would not be good on roads but on what we were driving on last year, could make a big difference to us as we have to slide along for more than a mile to pick up the post at the end of our road. I wonder if you would be kind enough to let me know what items I would need to alleviate our problem and instructions, should we get the awful ice and snow again.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

You have a couple of legal options the best in my eyes would be a full set of winter tyres look in the 500 section there is a big thread on them. The other options are traction aids such as snow socks and finally snow chains. Asda have socks in for thirty five pounds and they seem well made

Back