Any Gas Safe engineers?

Currently reading:
Any Gas Safe engineers?

Had my combi boiler serviced yesterday. The guy attached a RP85 label and issued a RP56 "at risk" notice and turned it off. The reason given is "Flue clamps are not screwed to flue". He said this was a new regulation because someone had died a few years ago because of a loose flue clamp.

The installation instructions left with the boiler when it was fitted 10 years ago don't say the clamps need to be screwed, just clamped, and I can't find anything in the "Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations" that says the clamps have to be screwed.

Anyone any thought on this, or where I can find the new regulation?

Attachments

• PICT1875.JPG
    PICT1875.JPG
    687 KB · Views: 48
Hi mate,

I THINK the GSE is getting mixed up with the new flues in voids regs.

Is that an outside wall that the flue passes through and straight to outside? (ie not via any voids or above a ceiling etc?)

Uunder the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations procedures (amended to April 1st 2011) IF the flue passed through a void and an incorrect jointing method had been used (the holes for the self tappers are present on your flue clamps, therefore it may be a later replacement flue if they are not mentioned or shown in your original instructions) or the screws are missing then it should be marked as AR, and therefore shut off. However, it can only be shut off with your consent.

On his At Risk notice, he should have also put what relevant legislation he is referring to (to be fair a lot of people dont)

Alan

Yes, it's an outside wall. The horizontal part of flue is a single piece that goes through the wall with the terminal on the outside face of the wall.

It is the correct flue for the boiler, I bought boiler and flue myself from a local plumbers merchant. It came as 2 boxes strapped together as box 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.

Just found section 9.6 of GIUSP. It refers to "screws missing from mechanical joints" but it only relates to flues in voids, which mine isn't.

Nothing on the form or notice about what legislation he referred to.

Hi,

Yeah I think he's getting confused. They are fairly new regs for flues in voids (even though they have been around for a few years , they have been revised a lot) and only recently become "enforceable".

I would ask him to quote under which regulation or ACOPs he is deaming the appliance to be AR. At least its an easy one to fix if he can find the reg (which i dont think he will) Its only a case of a few self tappers on each joint.

Manufacturers instructions nearly always take precedence over 99% of the regs anyway, and if yours say no fixings are required, then thats that. Some people prefer to put self tappers in (even if they are not required) as it does reduce the risk of the flue coming apart should someone say...hang their washing on it..

How did he shut your appliance off? Did he cap the gas supply? Did he discuss it with you? as techinically its YOUR choice if you are going to allow him to shut it off. Majority of people say no, and as long as its recorded on his notice, and you sign it, hes covered and your covered.

Alan

I'll phone his company on Monday to ask which reg. covers it.

I could drill it and put screws in it myself but I assume it has to be done by a GSE, as it says on the RP85 notice. The flue's rock solid anyway. Forget about washing, I could hang on it and it wouldn't seperate. The guy that serviced the boiler didn't want to fit screws while he was here. He said his company could give me a quote for it, but it would be expensive. Here in London, GSEs want £100 +VAT just to knock on the door.

He switched it off with the front panel knob. He didn't disturb the gas supply pipe or cap it.

He said he had to switch it off and issue the notice. I said "OK if that's what you've got to do". He said something like 'you'll probably switch it back on again after I've gone'.

British Gas did something Similar to us

Our boiler was fitted by an X british gas engineer
And was done upto standards

A few years later of been serviced - we kept getting notices after the service saying boiler unsafe for use - but didnt turn it off

And it was because the flutes didnt have extra supports

Eitherway, to get around this we simply added more securing brackets ourselves

Go and behold - it passed!

Shame the mounts were stupidly expensive! but its my parents who paid - not me

Plastic clamp mounts DONT pass, have to be metal ones due to heat expansion (MY ARSE)

Ziggy

BG are well known for doing stuff like this, so that they can then come and charge you more to fix the problem that does not really exist.

Remove the notice and turn the bugger back on.

Back