Any Fiat mechanics on here? need help please

Currently reading:
Any Fiat mechanics on here? need help please

saxoappeal

need help before the mechanic we have just received a quote from totally scams us, we have a Grande Punto 06 plate.

Problems we have with the car and rightfully should have been fixed before now are:

1. Clunking from the 2 front wheels every time we go over bumps etc
2. While sitting idle (engine on) the air vents when on pump oil smell into the cab
3. Drivers side electric window console not working
4. Car needs a full service

Quote and details from him are as follows:

carestimate.jpg

I'd take a guess at the knocking on being the droplinks alone. Oil smell if it's a 1.2 is usually the breather pipe. I'm not mechanic though and haven't seen the car so it's only guess work.

We do have some very good techies on site though, they will have a better idea than me for definite. (y)

It's a 1.4 we have mate

is the Rocco cover gasket the part where the oil smell is coming from?

need help before the mechanic we have just received a quote from totally scams us, we have a Grande Punto 06 plate.

Problems we have with the car and rightfully should have been fixed before now are:

1. Clunking from the 2 front wheels every time we go over bumps etc
2. While sitting idle (engine on) the air vents when on pump oil smell into the cab
3. Drivers side electric window console not working
4. Car needs a full service

Quote and details from him are as follows:

carestimate.jpg

im an apprentice mechanic and the price's sound about right the amout of work tho doesn't, i can understand the droplinks and track rod end but both your springs and roller strut mounts would have to be broken to get replaced. the service on its one would be close to a hundred but the labour is a bit steep.

The mechanic did say becaus it's a fiat punto he has to break something in order to get to a part and replace

That broken part is then replaced with a new part

i can spot 3 problems there

Air Filter = 11.37
He's taking you for a Swim there - There a £5er AT MOST! from local auto Shops

Rocco Cover Gasket - Rocker Cover Gasket - He cant spell either = £22!!!
Yesh - thats bad - There like £6 from a Small dealer - about £3 to £4 else where
Ebay is a good place to look as well - its a common thing to Dribble on punto's
Tbh you dont find many that aint weaping

And the Oil 4.5Litres - £29.95
according the Manual
a 1.2 8v + 1.2 16v = Engine Sump filter and alines uses 3.1 Litres

So he's got too much
And paying too much - go to Tesco atm - Castrol GTX (white bottle) 10 - 40w is £16 IIRC - asda its £20
So shows he's not doing his research correctly

Edit:
Spotted No4 actaully
Screen wash :( - Dont worry about that! All he will do is stick some water in there.....
That £1 you can save anyway

Double Edit:
Ah Funk... Im on about the mk2 punto, not the Grande - however those area's i pointed out are still way to much!!
Look up some of the parts - and you'll see!!

ziggy

Last edited:
Are the front springs broken then? Seems hard to believe that almost everything on the front suspension has worn out together.

Sometimes the droplinks seize on and get damaged on removal during other work, failed top mounts create a groaning noise when turning and not usually a knock, and track rod ends can wear out, but without knowing what he has diagnosed as the being the sole cause of the clunk, we can only guess if he's ripping you off.

Oil fumes in cabin will be one (or both) of the breather pipes- look in the Grande Punto section.

Drivers window switch panel not working may just be the connector has fallen off- pop the panel out and see (insert screwdriver in slot at front edge).

Engine oil capacity will be around 3 - 3.25 litres.

There is no fuel filter. I'd question what car he's quoting parts for as it's not a petrol Fiat from 1999 onwards.

Do you know a mechanic in the trade? Could probably get two coil springs for under £50. However, if buying yourself, £65 is all you need to pay.

Just a quick question...

Out just now so can't check but does the Grande Punto 06 take 5w40 synthetic or part synthetic???

Does anyone know the capacity of a 1.4l 8v??

Well I bit the bullet and decided I would rather go and put the car in before it's too late and the springs break and rip the Tyre to shreds

Handed it into Archies (Dundee) just to get the Clunking fixed, he did say there was a bit of play in the track rod end but nothing to get worried about. He decided to fix the
Coil Springs 2@ 58.34 plus VAT = 140.02
Drop Link Arms 2@ £16.67 plus VAT = 40.02

all came to £180.03, which is strange as there was no mention of Labour ?? the mind boggles

Last edited:
The guy at Archies said he didn't need to change them

strange how one company I first went to then a second (Archies) said I donb't need them

Back