Technical Alternative sump options

Currently reading:
Technical Alternative sump options

vexorg

Prominent member
We've got a 2015 1.2, at the MOT there was a advisory or oil leak from the sump. I had said I'd get a new gasket for it, but the tester said it needed a new sump to fix it as all small engine fiat sumps go porous and the oil seeps though with time.

Is there a better alternative out there for them?
Not sure I see the point of paying over the top for a fiat one that will be the same in 5 year's time.
Or can a new one to painted or protected better?

Get it looked at by somebody who sees many of these..
It might be 'damp'.. it could also be dribbling from up top

Ive had one last 15+ years.. and was damp from @5 years due to a leak up top

You could pay for a new sump ..that would be oily again in a week.. :eek:

Unless it is dropping oil on the ground ..I wouldnt be too concerned

There's no drips. Probably wont do anything until next year's service, just like the time to find the right parts beforehand.

I'll have a close look round for oil above the sump, the MOT tester said he's see it on a lot of small fiats, so had no reason to doubt him.

What aftermarket brands are good for the sump?

This is the new one I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-500...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 I have given it a few coats of paint too! My car now has a very sturdy undertray that also covers the sump .. should help with longevity!

I’ve actually not fitted it yet .. bit of a job n a half!! Who has swapped out their sump? I’m thinking of just removing the lower “leg” rather than taking the manifold off … that scares me!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This is the new one I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-500...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 I have given it a few coats of paint too! My car now has a very sturdy undertray that also covers the sump .. should help with longevity!

I’ve actually not fitted it yet .. bit of a job n a half!! Who has swapped out their sump? I’m thinking of just removing the lower “leg” rather than taking the manifold off … that scares me!

Honestly get your friendly garage to do it for you?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ahh ... had the same issue at my MOT yesterday for my 2013 1.2. Not quite to the drippy stage but I believe the tester used the word 'moist'.

I'd had it before on a Kia Picanto so it wasn't a total shocker and as we live by the sea, it's not the first corrosion-related repair on the 500 Dog Taxi ... reminiscent of Trigger's Broom :eek:

Our Panda - 2010 1.2 - had a new sump fitted just before we bought it in 2017. It's now just starting to show slight signs of rust again which will be easy to rub down and paint over before this winter sets in. My older boy's 2012 Punto 1.4 8 valve - so basically the same engine - needed a new sump last year as it was very crusty with rust "pimples" which I was afraid to touch in case it immediately stared leaking! So looks like a 7 or 8 year life for these sumps here in Edinburgh where the sea - Firth of Forth - is nearby.

There are a number of threads on here regarding rotten sumps. If you are fitting a new sump there are certain steps you should do to the new sump before fitting. A wee rub down with rough Emery paper, spray etch primer. A couple of coats of your chosen metal paint, then, when paint is still slightly tacky a coat or two of truck bed liner paint. This stuff is very tough indeed.

Fitting is a messy job, the worst that most find is getting the old sump off as it’s held on with very sticky mastic.

I was thinking paint it in black hammerite, have people found better options?

I was thinking paint it in black hammerite, have people found better options?

Hammerite is better than nothing, but takes time to harden. It chips easily. I detailed a sure fire method previously, it’s certainly not set in stone, but take a look at the metal paint market, loads out there, what ever you choose, use etch primer first.

I used to be a great believer in Hammerite and I still like the hammered finish for decorative purposes. However, looking back at some of the chassis and general underbody parts I've painted it would appear that it chips rather easily so I now tend to use chassis black: https://www.frost.co.uk/frost-chassis-black-paint/ which I find more durable.

I've read some posts lately for Truck Bed Liner which was a product I'd never heard off. I'm now considering if it might be suitable for "top coating" the Panda's rear axle once I've applied the Fertan converter and some undercoat. I could see it being good for use on our sumps too. Think I'm going to buy a spray can and try it out.

I used to be a great believer in Hammerite and I still like the hammered finish for decorative purposes. However, looking back at some of the chassis and general underbody parts I've painted it would appear that it chips rather easily so I now tend to use chassis black: https://www.frost.co.uk/frost-chassis-black-paint/ which I find more durable.

I've read some posts lately for Truck Bed Liner which was a product I'd never heard off. I'm now considering if it might be suitable for "top coating" the Panda's rear axle once I've applied the Fertan converter and some undercoat. I could see it being good for use on our sumps too. Think I'm going to buy a spray can and try it out.

I discovered this stuff some years ago Jock, it’s quite amazing stuff. Tenner from Halfords, I used my trade card and had some discount. Saw the truck bed liner on the ‘net, this yank was saying how tuff the stuff was, he was throwing all kind of things at it. So I thought I’d give it a go, I’m impressed and as an ageing cynic it takes a lot these days….:D

Back