Technical Seized alternator?

Currently reading:
Technical Seized alternator?

MadAlicesDad

Having scrapped one daughter's unreliable 500, we are now down to just the one, a 58 plate 1.4 Sport.

It's currently SORN and parked in an awkward location between a hedge and a wall which will need a minimum 9 point manouvre to get it out.
When I started it before xmas, there was a loud whining noise from the area of the auxiliary belt. It sounded like a mechanical whine, not a slipping belt on a damp day type noise. After a few minutes running, the whining went away.

A few days ago I tried to start it again. Very sluggish even with battery charged and a jump starter on it. When it did start and run there was loads of smoke from the area of the belt. There was no whining noise so I guess the previously whining thing had now become a seized thing. I have been unable to get a helper to turn over the engine while I look to see what isn't turning (hopefully this weekend...), but any thoughts what it could be? alternator / idler / aircon?

Whatever has seized, where the car is there is no space to do any repair so how to move the car without resorting to muscle power? Cut the belt and run the engine? Leave it as is and run the engine and put up with the smoke? If it is the idler that has seized, what about grease on the back of the belt to reduce friction and smoke (and obviously replace afterwards)?

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Hi thats a bit of an issue isnt it! anyway like you say its likely that the belt idler pully might have seized as it quite exposed and it is possible that the alternator could have i suppose? whatever it is you dont want to run it like that causing more smoke and heat and therefore the chance of fire due to all the friction! as whatever happens if you solve it you are going to need a new belt anyway! so if it was me i would probably cut it off to free things up, so you can move the car to a better position!, it wont be running for long and from your description of the sluggish turning over the battery will no doubt need charging anyway, so unless you can use another vehicle to tow/drag it into a better place cutting off the belt could be the best option! if you can get to look into the engine bay whilst someone else starts the car in an attempt to see what the problem is then that may make your decision easier!.
good luck!

Yes cut the belt off.
You don't want a fire
Or any of the other components melted.

A new belt would be highly recommended anyway

If you cut the belt then you may have no power steering, not sure if fiat need the alternator or not, but vauxhall have no electric power steering without the alternator running.

Thanks for all the suggestions. One thing I forgot to say was I don't remember seeing the battery light on when the engine was running which could mean the alternator is not the issue🤞. Will have a look tomorrow.

Both easy enough! but considering the situation it would IMO be a false economy to try to repair it! replacement a far safer ( and longer lasting!) repair!.

Agree replacing is preferred but I guess my question should have been what are the repair /replace options.

USED ONLINE ABOUT £40-£50 remanufactured £70-£80 new huge range! £80-£180 try for the best price with the best warranty £90 &2 years or thereabouts! club 500 Italia have one left at £49.99 today 09.11 am

I got some assistance and watched as the engine was cranked over. Its the alternator.
It moves a small amount then stops, then moves again. Maybe when I got the engine running last time, after a bit it starts to turn which is why (I think) the battery light wasn't on.
Next task is to extricate the car from where it is, but it can wait until the weater gets warmer.

To right! youve gotta be desperate:eek: or mad 😜to work outside 🥶on yer car this time of year!🤔 mind you"mad Alices dad eh! maybe she got it from you!🤨🤣. by the way what was the final straw that caused you to scrap the first one???

To right! youve gotta be desperate:eek: or mad 😜to work outside 🥶on yer car this time of year!
i think the word is dedicated, i already done the front pads and discs on the micra a few weeks ago. Weather is no reason to stop working on a car!!

Guess that depends on who you are and what facilitys you have!? having to work in the road at my age with diabetic curculation issues means it most certainly IS a reason for me! Working when your too cold and the light is failing is a good way of getting things wrong! and causing more expense and frustration later.
Between November and March I only do a job if it is VITAL and whilst it grates me to pay for something i COULD do myself if its freezing and going to cause me damage and discomfort then i get the local garage to do it!. its a case of both knowing and accepting my own limitations!.

Attachments

• 1705155920199.png
    1705155920199.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 20
With all the things that MIGHT need doing 🤔 now is a good time to evaluate the potential costs and amount of work needed to get it back to a safe and reasonable standard!:rolleyes: If there is a lot to do (and as John says some of it could well be hidden at the moment!):eek: then the cost in money /time/aggravation?/🤬😩 might be high enough to make considering replacement:cry: as better option!🤨

We've reached an unfortunate point with our 2 old cars, our 07 Mazda won't pass another MOT even if it could needs a new clutch @ £700, assuming you can get 17 year old bolts out, so it comes to an end in April, our 59 plate Fiat is better but needs a cam belt now 7 years old(water pump 14) and will need a clutch as the release bearing make some noise whilst depressed about £800 for both two jobs I cant do especially when you only have one car

If it were not for the fact i dont like other people very much in enclosed spaces!:eek: id be tempted to use the bus!:((except its such a pain in the A**e when you go shopping!):rolleyes:

Back