Technical Horrendously stuck bolt in sump, been working on it for 3 days, any ideas?

Currently reading:
Technical Horrendously stuck bolt in sump, been working on it for 3 days, any ideas?

Thanks all. In the event of me being unable to remove it, a few Qs:
  1. I've seen a few people recommend using a jack to compress the RTV as tightly as possible on that corner. Surely that could lead to it leaking in the future? - i.e. the sump will "want" to pull away in that area because that pressure bent it into an abnormal shape?
  2. Similarly, I've seen a few recommend not torquing the bolts up fully until the RTV has cured. What's the logic behind this?

One more thought, if you fail to drill out the existing bolt / weld or whatever it is, is there room to drill and tap holes either side of the old bolt. (Assuming no webs or oil ways).
I think I'll leave that one for the garage if it comes to it!

Thanks all. In the event of me being unable to remove it, a few Qs:
  1. I've seen a few people recommend using a jack to compress the RTV as tightly as possible on that corner. Surely that could lead to it leaking in the future? - i.e. the sump will "want" to pull away in that area because that pressure bent it into an abnormal shape?

Your looking to replicate the force of the missing bolt while the RTV sets. The RTV needs to be squashed. Be careful to only put force on the bolt area, use a small piece of wood if necessary.

Ok so I just tried with my new carbide bit in a proper drill. It snapped before I could get to any real depth. Tried the cobalt bits in a proper drill and they still can't get through it. I've accepted this isn't coming out (at least not by my hands anyway). Should I just JB weld over everything to get the surface as smooth as possible before RTV'ing it, or should I just put extra RTV on and hope for the best? I suppose the latter is more reversible if it doesn't work out.

Get the blobs of weld off level with mating surface. Clean surfaces then rtv sump on. Hand tighten fixings. Wait for rtv to cure then tighten fixings.
Do not push part of sump where no bolt up when curing or it will spring away when support removed.

Don't bother with jb weld the rtv will do it's job and fill any minor gaps

I've seen a few people recommend using a jack to compress the RTV as tightly as possible on that corner.

Your looking to replicate the force of the missing bolt while the RTV sets.
This feels completely wrong to me. because you can't replicate the force of the missing bolt once you take the jack away.

RTV is a sealant, not an adhesive. If there's any stress on the joint once it's cured, it's likely to fail.

What I'd do in this situation is to make sure all the mating surfaces are properly cleaned and degreased, refit it using the remaining bolts, and torque them up before the RTV cures. Leave it to cure as per the instructions (you may need to allow more time in cold weather), then fill with oil and keep a close eye on it.

If you don't have all the bolts, I wouldn't recommend tightening it further once the sealant has cured.

This feels completely wrong to me. because you can't replicate the force of the missing bolt once you take the jack away.
I think the logic would be that it holds that corner in place as you torque up the other bolts, That is, that corner might bend down without a bolt in there, and the jack keeps the sump straight.

Tbh, I cant see it mattering, the sump will be strong enough, and enough bolts - just going by the force needed to get it off with no bolts!!

OK new sump is on, it looks good, if I apply pressure next to where the missing bolt is I don't see the sealant moving at all. I used Dirko. Going to leave it 2 days due to the cold weather so we'll see if it works in a few! Thanks for all your help so far chaps, much appreciated
Judging by reviews, it’s an adhesive sealant so should be okay…and at least it would alright to drive to get a more permanent solution…see how it goes

Update, I just couldn't resist the urge to wait the full 48 hours so filled her up and tried her tonight after the recommended 24 ish... she lives! I've taken a good look around all the bolts after a test drive and so far no signs of oil leakage anywhere. Interestingly it actually idles way quieter now, I suspect removing that big RTV bogey from the pickup tube has helped.

Thank you all for your help, I'll update in the future as to whether it's still holding!

Update, I just couldn't resist the urge to wait the full 48 hours so filled her up and tried her tonight after the recommended 24 ish... she lives! I've taken a good look around all the bolts after a test drive and so far no signs of oil leakage anywhere. Interestingly it actually idles way quieter now, I suspect removing that big RTV bogey from the pickup tube has helped.

Thank you all for your help, I'll update in the future as to whether it's still holding!
and more importantly leaking!🤬- and/or your mental state!🤪(y)

Back