Technical Seized alternator?

Currently reading:
Technical Seized alternator?

Thanks for all the replies and yes, there probably is loads to check.

This one was MOTd in September, dull lenses that the garage polished for free because they are brilliant (https://www.victoriarecovery.co.uk/)👍, advisory on subframe rust and cracked tyre tread.
Btw I leave it in gear and handbrake off, then give it a good razzing to get the rust off. And I change the oil every 30k miles whether it needs it or not 😂😂😂😂
It's defo not a pampered toy and owes us nothing as it gave my daughter freedom and relieved us from taxiing👍

I understand the potential problems leaving a car unused like this but since they went to uni, both daughter's cars had been left unused for weeks on end. They always came back to life despite being fiats 😁

The one we scrapped was just a basket case money sink with random limp modes and warning lights, and we chose to keep just one for them both to use.

Tbh the remaining car is not needed for 80 to 90 % of the time, but we have it and if it works, it's useful.

If I can get it fixed I will but replacement isn't going to happen 😁

Will let you know what happens once the weather improves.

PS regarding the name. ALICE is my youngest daughter. MADdie is her older sister. I'm the DAD 😂.
It's nothing to do with mental state. But I did once changed the entire exhaust system on a Rover P6 V8 on the drive at -4C. But that was then...

PPS although the above is flippant, I don't ignore faults associated with safety

We could swap rover stories at some point!-I like a p 6(y) but mine was a p5b coupe:love: do i wish i still had it?:rolleyes: christ have you seen the prices these days!!! think i sold mine £2500🤨 and was glad to get that!! 😅then there was the 800 from 1996 but that as they say is another story!:eek:

The weather has improved and i had some time today.
Despite having to lie under the hedge I managed to jack up the drivers side, get the wheel off and remove the plastic covers. Moving the tensioner allowed me to get the belt off and once free the engine started and ran ok (y)

So, back to the alternator. I couldn't turn it with a spanner or even a big Stillson and a hammer; it's properly seized and needs replacement. BUT, what's needed?

Unfortunately I put it back together without taking photos and there seem to be two designs of alternator available. One has the three mounting bolts parallel to the shaft (like this) and another has them perpendicular (like this).

It's a 2008 1.4 Sport. Any clues what is needed or do I need to get under the car again?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Never thought of that! I was looking for a used one, but maybe Autodoc or such can show what I actually need 👍

I had a quick look ...... on line....... you would be very sensible to check which type is actually fitted !

I had a quick look ...... on line....... you would be very sensible to check which type is actually fitted !
I usually take photos of everything I take apart (my Google photos timeline is incredibly bizarre!) but I didn't this time 🤬
Thanks for the hint though.

If it was a bespoke design, you're correct. This is a mass produced car. Gotta love Fiat...

Back