Technical Aircon refresh

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon refresh

Derbyfella

Established member
Wife is saying her 500c Pop aircon isnt very cold. Please note her car does have aircon (push the fan button in). How much for me to do a refresh and is it easy to do?

Replace the cabin filter then go to a professional and have the system recharged DONT try it yourself, I've use Kwik fit for years and never had an issue, if it's cheap enough get them to do the cabin filter £60 to recharge not sure re fiter make sure the cooling fan(s) work as expected

Replace the cabin filter then go to a professional and have the system recharged DONT try it yourself, I've use Kwik fit for years and never had an issue, if it's cheap enough get them to do the cabin filter £60 to recharge not sure re fiter make sure the cooling fan(s) work as expected
two speeds for aircon?

she never has it on!
I've been fortunate to drive a car with ac from 1984, the best advice is never turn it off(that's what the temperature control knob is for) that way the seals stay good and the condenser stays warm and dry so lasts longer, add rapid demisting in winter even at 15-20 years old (car)all we've needed is recharging plus one receiver/dryer(failed due to ally container and steel bracket) so leave it on if you can

I've been fortunate to drive a car with ac from 1984, the best advice is never turn it off(that's what the temperature control knob is for) that way the seals stay good and the condenser stays warm and dry so lasts longer, add rapid demisting in winter even at 15-20 years old (car)all we've needed is recharging plus one receiver/dryer(failed due to ally container and steel bracket) so leave it on if you can
I’m surprised there haven’t been more A/C posts in this baking heat!!
Good advice tho John .. mine is auto & leave it on all the time

Check the front of the car though the lower grill and have a look at the state of your Aircon condenser

I've seen a lot of these with the fins very damaged or missing which will have a effect on the cooling capacity for the Aircon system

Not using the AC for more than a couple of weeks may destroy the AC. There's some oil in the refrigerant. That is needed to lubricate the compressor and keep the viton rings supple. Compressor may seize and or rings may start to leak.

gr J

Not using the AC for more than a couple of weeks may destroy the AC. There's some oil in the refrigerant. That is needed to lubricate the compressor and keep the viton rings supple. Compressor may seize and or rings may start to leak.

gr J
This is why I always say always leave on.

Think of it this way, you buy a car drive it for 3 weeks park it up for 5 months then expect it to work perfectly the second you want it to, goes back to the old saying " use it or loose it" ?

Now makes me think everyone should safely test their ABS now and again?

Some places have a "free aircon service" where they'll inspect your aircon for free. I used Merit to check my Stilo's system... and they diagnosed it the condensor had a leak, so that was that.

Yours could just need a re-gas.. but a reputable place ought to pressure testing and not fill it if it's leaking (one garage who refilled mine for not much money, admittedly) didn't check it... so it worked for 4 days then stopped again..

Ralf S.

You can get mobile ac people too any good technician will empty the system with a vacuum pump, pressure test it with nitrogen usually, then refill it( using scales to see how much they put in ), they may advise a new receiver dryer too depending on age / condition if fitted

That is why ABS performs a selftest on startup and checks plausability of the signal from the sensors while driving.

gr J
Yes but have you actually tried an emergency stop only to find the cars pulls way to one side perhaps as you normally never brake hard enough to show up a "minor" issue? Our old Mazda front discs and pads are 9 years old due to light braking every now and again I'll jam on the brakes

Back