a band? you are not in a band....

head
GEAR9175.jpg

wrist
Hand_Band___Wrist_Supporter.jpg

rubber
apparel_necklace.jpg

Steve said:
Of course they're a band. There voices are their instruments. :)

Except most of their recordings have been digitally manipulated to put their voices into tune, as they can't actually sing for real. I had the mis-fortune to see them 'perform' at the 2001 Record of the Year awards, and as per usual with this kind of band they were miming rather than using any actual musical talent. Unless you call going through their pre-rehearsed stage moves 'talent' :rolleyes:

I've yet to see any of these kinds of bands really show what they're made of by performing LIVE, writing their own music AND playing their own instruments. There are some exceptions to the rule (Robbie Williams, the ex-singer of Busted who set up the band 'Fightstar', Will Young sings live but I still don't think much of his voice), but on the whole boybands are just puppets on strings who have no creative input whatsoever, and are marketed by the industry as a quick and easy way to make a lot of money.

'Band' my arse!

ive seen them live, and they are fab!! id go again tomo given half the chance!!!

jealousy gets you nowhere lads :p if you guys had have the looks they have then you'd be lucky sods :p lol :p hehe

Also having some real character helps.

Travis - now there's a band who can play, write songs and know how to have a laugh with their audience.

The Magic Numbers are pretty good too - although I didn't really know them when I saw them, was too hyped up about seeing Travis :rolleyes:

PuntoSaz said:
ive seen them live, and they are fab!! id go again tomo given half the chance!!!

jealousy gets you nowhere lads :p if you guys had have the looks they have then you'd be lucky sods :p lol :p hehe

Are you sure you've seen them 'live'?!!! Sorry, but it's such a con when performers (I refuse to call them artists because artists actually create something) charge people to watch them lip sync to backing tracks. I bet they don't belong to the Musicians Union and the 'Keep Music Live' campaign :p

And jealous? Pah! I'd rather be known for actually having some talent rather than laughed at by half the population for being nothing more than a pretty face and only liked by pubescent girls experiencing damp knickers for the first time. Sure they've got more money than me, but I can actually play my guitar, write songs and have 350 gigs under my belt from performing live over 19 years. And I drive a Fiat :D

Besides, when those kind of manufactured bands split up and one of them attempts to go solo virtually none of them actually get anywhere because they HAVEN'T GOT ANY TALENT OTHER THAN A PRETTY FACE!

If some of these boy bands spent as much time on learning music as they did on their dance moves they might actually be in a position to call themselves musicians...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

lest we forget the beatles started out with screaming hordes of girls too, however i cant see westlife et al creating an album like sgt peppers, which incidently sent brian wilson, no mean songwriter himself over the edge of sanity into years of depression, when he realised, these lads could blow him away effortlessly, despite him being a master.....

theres always a pt barnum in the background to crowbar money out of the purse of a hormonal teenager, it's just easier to do with a plug and play rent good looker with the talent of a dead elk and the range of a teletubby

'Actors' are the same, what about Brian Tilsley off Coronation Street, when he got to the 'peak' of his career in Corrie, he went off to seek his fame and fortune in Hollywood, he couldn't make it there, his Corrie Heart-throb luck ran out (plus the fact he couldn't act) and ended up doing Panto, he he :)

Jai said:
lest we forget the beatles started out with screaming hordes of girls too, however i cant see westlife et al creating an album like sgt peppers, which incidently sent brian wilson, no mean songwriter himself over the edge of sanity into years of depression, when he realised, these lads could blow him away effortlessly, despite him being a master.....

theres always a pt barnum in the background to crowbar money out of the purse of a hormonal teenager, it's just easier to do with a plug and play rent good looker with the talent of a dead elk and the range of a teletubby

Yes, but wasn't Sgt. Pepper apparently inspired by 'Pet Sounds' and caused Brian Wilson to work on 'Smile'? I know that after he started working on 'Smile' he totally lost the plot and went over the edge, but it only took hime a few more decades to finally get round to finishing it. :p

Here's a review of Pet Sounds by the way ;)

Amazon.co.uk Review
This was pretty much the only occasion on which Brian Wilson managed to articulate his extraordinary musical vision over the length of an album. As such, Pet Sounds is not merely one of the greatest records ever made, but also one of the towering masterpieces of 20th-century art. Every song here, from the exuberant introduction of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" to the concluding, wistful lament of "Caroline No", is definitive pop music. Wilson's fantastical orchestrations and harmonies support a collection of lyrics which are childishly innocent almost to the point of appearing sinister--no album has ever started with a less traditionally rock & roll sentiment than "Wouldn't it be nice if we were married?". When delivered in Wilson's anguished whine, the effect is gloriously heartbreaking--as statements of naked vulnerability go, "I Know There's An Answer" and "I Just \ Wasn't Made For These Times" remain difficult to top. Popular legend has it that when the fiercely insecure and competitive Wilson, a year on from Pet Sounds, heard the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, he was devastated. He needn't have worried. Pet Sounds wasn't trumped then, and it won't be anytime in the future.--Andrew Mueller

inspired? sure, thats known, better? by far, and smile? lets face it wilson knew he'd have his arse handed to him on a plate, so he does the honourable thing, and commits proffessional seppuku in a most spectacular style

Back