Technical 56 1.1 Active P0115 error code engine coolent temp sensor

Currently reading:
Technical 56 1.1 Active P0115 error code engine coolent temp sensor

muz379

Got a 2006 1.1 Active . Driving back from dropping the OH off this morning and just as im about to pull onto the ramp onto the motorway the EOBD control system failure light comes on on the dash . When I glance down at my dash I also notice that the coolant temperature gauge has dropped to zero like It would if I took the key out .

About 3 or 4 miles later I pull off the motorway and find a car park to stop in . I shut the engine off and wait a minute or two before starting again. The failure light is still on and the temp still showing zero . I figure cos the car is still performing as it should be and I know the engine is nowhere near overheating I limp home another 4-5 miles . After this I leave the car parked outside for about half an hour whilst I ring my friend who has my OBD scanner .

When I drive to his I start the car up and the engine light is still on but the temp gauge has started working again . I drive to his and leave it parked outside for about 15-20 mins whilst I have a cup of tea and a chat . When I go back out it starts up and the engine light has now gone out and temp guage is working again .
Drove it home and run the OBD scan on it and it gives me fault code
P0115 which says there is a coolant temperature circuit malfunction . I kind of figured it would be something to do with the coolant sensor when the guage went dead when the light first come on .

At odds about what to do now . The temp gauge is working again and the error light has gone out and nothing seems to be wrong with the car from driving .Its due a service next month so If I can avoid it id rather not shell out for fixing something just before then If I can avoid it .

Hi, Your problem is similar to mine for which I have previously contacted the forum several months ago. The difference is that I suffer hesitation and erratic running.
A significant thing is that the temp gauge needle drops when going over road humps or bumps. I can't remember the thread but an Active owner put his finger on the problem which is an ecu and wiring problem.

He suggested I remove the ecu's (2) and spray elect contact cleaner and replace when dry also checking for misaligned contacts. You may also find if you wiggle the wiring loom to the ecu the engine will change speed or may stall. It was the same for me and for him.

I do the wiggle bit(!) and also press down on top of ecu's every time the problem occurs (which is quite regularly). This does definitely improve the running.

Going to watch the footie now but will try to locate the thread and get back to you.

I'd check and clean the connector for the tempsensor. Spray with contact cleaner (no WD40!), let it dry and reconnect with a little dab of vaseline.

gr J
Thanks for the advice , not had any problems since Thursday morning when this first happened . done this yesterday afternoon as a precaution though.

Back