trailer2.jpg

500 (Classic) 500F Rebuild

Introduction

This may be the shortest rebuild thread here. It is going to be a race to the end of the project or to the end of the funds. I am sure there are those of you who know what I mean.

I have owned the car for about 24 years, I did a quick rebuild/tidy when I purchased it. Used it as my daily drive for about 14 years and then took it off the road about 10 years ago. (There is more to this story but this will have to suffice for now.)

In the last month I have done a parts strip and have almost finished the paint strip so that I can ship the body off to my panelbeater. If I don’t do what I can do myself then the car will sit for another ten years.

Regards

Joe R

24 years ago (Free delivery!)
trailer2.jpg

About 15 years ago
scan0001.jpg

1 Month ago
SANY0324.JPG

Today
SANY0439.JPG

Now for a quick quiz. Found this on the roof. I think I know the letters and numbers and I have a theory on what it all means. Chocolate frog for the correct answer. (Judged by forum consensus and the prize has to be collected in person.)
SANY0365.JPG
Hi Joe, congratulations on finishing your build and getting back on the road. Looks like a fine job. I am very jealous as I won't be on the road for at least six months - which means a whole summer will pass by with no top down motoring!
Cheers Roger

John,

I am doing what I have always done which is why I am having a hard time working out what is going on. Have not had a chance to look this morning, I will work my way through your note and see how I go. I may decide to leave it for now (given that it was OK yesterday) and just enjoy where I am at.

Electromnic ignition is an option down the track, but again, I have had the std distributor in place for 26 odd years. All things being equal this should perform the job. (but from eveyones reports I would have to agree that an upgrade to the likes of a 123 unit will be of benefit)

Roger,

not finished yet as there are small details to be looked at. I would expect that there will always be a degree of tinkering to be had in the future so I am not sure if I will ever be finished.

Don't be jealous, the photo's are misleading. 7 or 8 out of 10 I think. Use this as incentive (not that you need any given what I can see). As Chris has noted elsewhere, Down under and across the ditch we need to keep waving the flag and gtting these little cars back on the road.

Regards

Joe R

Joe,

A fairly cheap distributor upgrade is to ditch the points and condenser and replace them with a Hall-effect sensor. The rest of the distributor remains standard so you still have to content with the old style mechanical advance though it is usually not a major problem.

Chris

Attachments

• Hall effect distributor 2.jpg
    Hall effect distributor 2.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 295
I've just put one of those hall effect sensors in place of points and condensor. Easier starting and smoother acceleration. Well worth doing in my opinion. £33 off ebay

I agree!
I had also hot starting problems last summer with my 500F. Correct timing and adjusting the valves+carb settings sorted things out. When I fitted the whole 123 ignition it now starts very easy, just in 1-2s and a small pulling from the starter switch. 228€, worth every penny.

Joe, all this time I hadn't realised you had a whole restoration thread to yourself. A brilliant and entertainingly written Saga. I like the honesty and modesty about it all. Do you still have the car as an everyday runner?
Please show us recent pics and give us an update as it must have settled back in now and be developing a new patina.

thanks for the inspiration.

Peter

I agree!
I had also hot starting problems last summer with my 500F. Correct timing and adjusting the valves+carb settings sorted things out. When I fitted the whole 123 ignition it now starts very easy, just in 1-2s and a small pulling from the starter switch. 228€, worth every penny.

Having spent about 30 years making my living as a mechanic, I kind of like setting ignition points once in awhile. It is points and condenser forever for our 1972 500L. It always runs great and I love the fact that it is original!
Bruce

Chris,

can you have a look at this for me? The hole circled is at the end of the row of holes for the rear sunroof bracket. My car had a sheet metal screw through the edge of the sunroof and into this hole (on both ends). I can't see it referenced like this in any of the diagrams I have seen but it seem a little 'rough' to me.

I need to know just in case I have to get David to seal this hole up.

Regards

Joe R

View attachment 81048
I realise this post is very old, but these holes are for the cloth sunroof ends, a regular screw goes there to bend the ends of the metal plate holding the cloth to the shape of the car. I welded mine close, (because I also didn't know what it was (but mine where huge rusted holes). Now when I installed my new sunroof kit, I immediately understood why there where hole there. However, I decided not to drill them again and just leave the metal ends as they are. It's fine so far. This, because I don't want water in the car, and those spots are so vulnerable!

the best way to secure the sun-roof bar ends is to put 'riv-nuts' into the roof (an internally threaded rivet) and then put a soft sealing washer under the end of the bar before you screw it down.

Hello all, some advice please, my 500F is back from blast cleaning. Does anyone know where to source the rear cross member with hanging brackets for the rear spring mounts. Mine look pretty shot. I've not been able to find it in the usual sources. I know is structural so will be getting a professional repair. I'm very interested to hear on what other options, experiences by others who have also had to fix this.IMG_20200516_123137.jpg

I have looked through most of the usual 500 parts supplier's body-parts lists---these parts do not appear on any of them. As far as I can ascertain, the parts number numbers that you need (original factory body book)are :--4117872 which is a rear floor-pan complete. The picture in the book doesn't show the rear wish-bone mounts, which I THINK are part numbers:--91036588 and 91036589 ( the mounts are handed). It might be that the only way to find these parts is through the 500 club of Italy, or if you have one, a friend in Italy doing some digging for you.

Hello all, some advice please, my 500F is back from blast cleaning. Does anyone know where to source the rear cross member with hanging brackets for the rear spring mounts. Mine look pretty shot. I've not been able to find it in the usual sources. I know is structural so will be getting a professional repair. I'm very interested to hear on what other options, experiences by others who have also had to fix this.View attachment 209115

Maybe start here...adapting a Fiat 126 part?

https://webshop.fiat500126.com/en/body-panels/fiat-126/others/crossbar-rear-with-coil-spring-bearer

Ref. my previous comment on this thread Peter, I think that you are correct. When you see how complicated the part is (hence its price) you realise that no matter how good a body-shop is, it would struggle to replicate the part. When the body-shop re-built the front of my car, a lot of the parts used had to adapted 126 parts.

Back