Technical 500 Hybrid 1.0 Service Intervals?

Currently reading:
Technical 500 Hybrid 1.0 Service Intervals?

Hi everyone.

I have looked online and am struggling to find a definitive answer to service intervals on the “new” 500 Hybrid, some sites say 9000 miles or 12 months, some say 12000 miles or 12 months and some say 18000 or 12 months.

My car was registered in April this year so when will it need its first service?

It seems a lot clearer for the original 1.2 engine but there is a lot of conflicting information on line for the 1.0 Hybrid.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

cheers.

Hi everyone.

I have looked online and am struggling to find a definitive answer to service intervals on the “new” 500 Hybrid, some sites say 9000 miles or 12 months, some say 12000 miles or 12 months and some say 18000 or 12 months.

My car was registered in April this year so when will it need its first service?

It seems a lot clearer for the original 1.2 engine but there is a lot of conflicting information on line for the 1.0 Hybrid.

cheers.
Forgive me if I am out of touch, but don't they provide a handbook these days? Failing that, can't you speak to the supplying dealer? Very important to stick to the specified service schedule for the warranty, obviously.

Forgive me if I am out of touch, but don't they provide a handbook these days? Failing that, can't you speak to the supplying dealer? Very important to stick to the specified service schedule for the warranty, obviously.
Hi TrevC,

Thanks for your reply.

I did speak to the dealer and asked on collection of the car and he said he thought it was 12k but that was for the 1.2 engine.

I’m waiting for them to send over my service book as it wasn’t in the car when I picked it up.

I just wondered if a member on here had the same model and could answer hence asking the question on a forum for Fiat owners in the 500 technical section.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi TrevC,

Thanks for your reply.

I did speak to the dealer and asked on collection of the car and he said he thought it was 12k but that was for the 1.2 engine.

I’m waiting for them to send over my service book as it wasn’t in the car when I picked it up.

I just wondered if a member on here had the same model and could answer hence asking the question on a forum for Fiat owners in the 500 technical section.

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry I can't help more, perhaps someone who owns a 1.0 hybrid will see this and chip in. When I got my first 500 in 2011 you could download a pdf of the handbook from the Fiat website, but I'm not sure that is still possible. Probably worth speaking to the main dealer service department, they must be able to tell you service intervals.

Service intervals for the 1.0 Firefly Hybrid are 12 months / 9000 miles

Screenshot_20221016-155816_OneDrive.jpg

My X has a service indicator in the menu (you have to hunt around to find it) which indicates 9000 miles and/or 12 months - it's giving me a countdown in miles and days left before the service is due. Your 500 might have a similar display... but if in doubt "9-12" is not a bad interval to use.

Ralf S.

Well, that saves a few hundred quid every few years, as long as they've used a decent chain and tensioner.
As long as, yes. Ever since the troubles they had on the earlier TSI engines I've been wary of long run chains. Doesn't take all that much wear per link to start to give you problems. Anyone remember the fun with the chains on the Lada? they could virtually machine their way out through the side of the casing. Timeous oil changes and best quality oil and you should be Ok. Of course you've got a turbo too which will very much appreciate good quality clean oil. Don't know if it makes much difference in these days of watercooled turbos (is the Firefly turbo water cooled?) but I got into the habit, with turboed engines, of always letting it idle for a few minutes before shutting down if I've been driving hard or on a motorway at high speed or anytime it's been working hard - hilly terrain for instance - This allows oil to continue circulating around the spindle and shaft bearings which takes heat away but more than anything reduces the chances of oil burning onto the spindle and it's bearings. The exhaust gasses will also be much cooler so effectively they can lower the turbine temperature and air will be still going through the other side so cooling things too. I don't do this if just running around locally or cruising along 2 lane country roads, just when the turbo is going to be well heat soaked. I've only had to have one turbo replaced on the "family fleet" - ever - and that was due to a known design fault on the early production run of that particular unit.

I don't sorry, but you could try asking the good people of shop4parts.

I am assuming you mean the hybrid batteries under the passenger seat as the 12v battery is just a standard stop-start battery, but then I wonder why these, plus the drivebelt and starter would need replacing on a relatively new engine?

I'd also check out the scrapyard for crashed cars for these parts.

As long as, yes. Ever since the troubles they had on the earlier TSI engines I've been wary of long run chains. Doesn't take all that much wear per link to start to give you problems. Anyone remember the fun with the chains on the Lada? they could virtually machine their way out through the side of the casing. Timeous oil changes and best quality oil and you should be Ok. Of course you've got a turbo too which will very much appreciate good quality clean oil. Don't know if it makes much difference in these days of watercooled turbos (is the Firefly turbo water cooled?) but I got into the habit, with turboed engines, of always letting it idle for a few minutes before shutting down if I've been driving hard or on a motorway at high speed or anytime it's been working hard - hilly terrain for instance - This allows oil to continue circulating around the spindle and shaft bearings which takes heat away but more than anything reduces the chances of oil burning onto the spindle and it's bearings. The exhaust gasses will also be much cooler so effectively they can lower the turbine temperature and air will be still going through the other side so cooling things too. I don't do this if just running around locally or cruising along 2 lane country roads, just when the turbo is going to be well heat soaked. I've only had to have one turbo replaced on the "family fleet" - ever - and that was due to a known design fault on the early production run of that particular unit.
Yes its the 'as long as' thats the nub. All these sensors that say the chain has a micron of slack and the bills can be a lot bigger when the car wont go without a new chain being fitted. There is no escape from the re[air and service bills for any of us. I dont think thesre is a lot of difference between 2 or 3 belts or a chain at a higher milage.

Well, that saves a few hundred quid every few years, as long as they've used a decent chain and tensioner.
I wouldn't bank on it. Fiat have a bit of a history with their 1.3 multijet engine of using a chain which is not much better than a bike chain very thin and light, no real strength to is and so don't have the longevity of chains from the past. where they would be 3 to 5 links thick.

I wouldn't bank on it. Fiat have a bit of a history with their 1.3 multijet engine of using a chain which is not much better than a bike chain very thin and light, no real strength to is and so don't have the longevity of chains from the past. where they would be 3 to 5 links thick.
On balance I'd much rather have a timing belt. Yes it's got to be changed at regular intervals but, with continuous development in design and materials, these intervals are becoming much longer. In general it's a simpler operation where a belt is concerned and, unless you've got one of the "dreaded" "wet" belts, there's not the problem of dismantling oil tight casings - where sealing surfaces might be damaged - or the possibility of someone applying excess sealant on reassembly which might then partially block the oil pickup strainer mesh. Then there's always the possibility of failing to achieve a seal and ending up with an oil leak which, If you're doing it yourself, is just so annoying. By the way, chain kits are generally quite considerably more expensive than a belt kit. Worth considering also that synchronous belts - which is what timing belts are - really don't stretch. Therefore cam timing really doesn't change, to any measurable degree, throughout the life of the belt. You can't say that about a chain. I don't know whether the "clever" electronics types build in some sort of timing compensation via the ECUs on engines which use chains?

In recent times chains have been getting a bit of a poor reputation - there was the VAG TSI problem (pretty much cured by going back to belts on the latest EA211 engine family) and how another manufacturer's TCE petrol engines which have posts littered all over the internet regarding chain problems and I can think of others. I think part of the problem is to do with the length of the chains and the lengthy guides they therefore require which subsequently wear, which is not to say the chain quality isn't a problem too. Then there's the fact that nice clean engine oil, changed frequently, undoubtedly makes chains last longer. But what are the manufacturers doing? recommending extended service intervals!

The only "stand out" exceptions I know of are the Japanese stuff. Hondas and Mazdas, for instance, seem to go on to achieve "starship" mileages without having chain problems. If you own one though don't think you can ignore your oil change intervals - Clean "young" oil really matters if you've got a chain cam engine.

Hi everyone.

cheers.
Here is what's written in my Fiat Owner's Service Manual for my 2021 Fiat 500 1.0 Hybrid:

The book is in Turkish but I highlighted the "Motor Oil Change" section for you with yellow. Please notice that the intervals are in kilometres.

Apparently the recommended oil changing intervals for our 500 1.0 Hybrid's Firefly engine is every 20.000kms (approx 12,4k miles)
As you can notice, there is an additional information next to it; "(1.3 diesel and 1.4 16V petrol engines, every 10.000kms)".
Now, why would they bother giving information about other engine options in this manual, I don't know...

I usually prefer to change my engine oil more frequently than what the factory manual recommends. I changed my 500's first oil at 7.000 kms because I do believe in the "proper break-in" procedure. Poured some 0w20 Castrol synthetic oil in it even though I still think it is a very thin oil, especially for the mediterranean environment that I live in where summer ambient temps are sometimes above 40 celsius. So next time I will be using 5w30 sythetic and see how it goes.

What actually got me thinking is the difference between my service manual and the one MN500 shared above. I would expect the recommended service intervals to be the opposite since Turkish geography and road conditions are much rougher than Europe's or Britain's. Higher altitudes, mountanious topography, broader climate range from -20 to +40 celsius depending on the region.

Having withnessed the contradiction between two factory service manuals for the same model, I will insist on sticking to my own mechanical experience and instincts and will keep on changing my engine oil every 7000-14.000 depending on the driving conditions.

I've been running my 10 years old air cooled Triumph motorcycle, 56 years old Willys CJ-5 Jeep and 16 years old Mazda Miata/MX-5 with the same maintenance philosophy, always chaning the oil more frequently, not necessarily using the highest quality oil but the one with the right engine viscosity specs that suits my riding/driving conditions. All of my engines are still running smooth to this day without having any issues. 🫶🌞

IMG_7256.jpg

Back