General Service interval indicator reset

Currently reading:
General Service interval indicator reset

Jodsclass

Hi Everyone.

I've been servicing our Panda for years. We recently changed the car for a 2017 500s which I intend to service soon. Out of curiosity, I emailed our local garage for a quote. The screenshot below is that quote, made me laugh out loud over my coffee this morning. Thought I would include both that & a service kit I've found on that auction site for a fraction of the cost.

My question is this, what is the most cost-effective way of resetting the digital dash service level? It currently reads 79 days and 1000 miles. Do I need leads etc & multiscanECU or is there a cheaper tool that can simply reset the service indicator?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4629.PNG
    IMG_4629.PNG
    330.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4630.PNG
    IMG_4630.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Evening. I have a 2018 500S which is now serviced at my local independent garage as the prices the main dealer quoted are extortionate to say the least. I’ve just had my 36000 service for £213 which includes MOT and the correct oil as my car is a twin air.

The first time they serviced it they said to me that after about 300 miles past the service, the service indicator will go out, which it did. It’s never come back on again. I do however ensure it’s fully serviced annually, when it has its MOT, which for me is about every 8000 miles. This is by far the cheapest way to reset the service indicator. Hope this helps 😀

Evening. I have a 2018 500S which is now serviced at my local independent garage as the prices the main dealer quoted are extortionate to say the least. I’ve just had my 36000 service for £213 which includes MOT and the correct oil as my car is a twin air.

The first time they serviced it they said to me that after about 300 miles past the service, the service indicator will go out, which it did. It’s never come back on again. I do however ensure it’s fully serviced annually, when it has its MOT, which for me is about every 8000 miles. This is by far the cheapest way to reset the service indicator. Hope this helps 😀
Thanks, that's a great help & a decent price compared to the quote I’ve had from the local garage we normally use for repairs. Even pricing up all the parts separately online & using high-end parts & oils, it's less than £100 for parts & about 90 minutes of work for me on a dry day. These prices are boggling my mind at the moment. Only a few years ago I'd be around £150 for a full service.

It would be great if I could reset the indicator when I do the service as a guide to keep me in check. I normally do it annually, but this year our mileage has spiked thanks to a family crisis & lots of driving to Scotland from Cornwall to help out.

Your welcome. Yes, my local garage is great and literally at the top of my road so he collects the car from me, takes it to MOT. collects it from there, does service and drops it back when done with a bill and stamp in the service book. I pay when I next pass, which is daily as my greyhound likes to pop in for dog treats and to check on the progress of my Panda‘s rustoration.

Bill breakdown

MOT £50
0-30 Oil, Oil filter, Air filter, Pollen filter £101.22 (The oil alone was £49.54)
2 hours labour, including cleaning the Uniair filter £60.00

I‘m sure a resident expert will be along shortly to advise if there is any way to reset the service indicator 😀

Off to Yorkshire next week in the 500 so looking forward to giving it a good run.

4 hours labour for 2 hours of work.. 🙄

I've done both jobs on my 500

Oil and plugs.. Not very involved 🙂

AND you won't break the airbox stub 😉
I was going to say about plugs, how fiddly are they to do on the 500? I’ve had a little look & they look easier to get at than on the panda.

I know, 4 hours work must be using the apprentices apprentice ;)

FIRE motors haven't really changed much since 1986.🙂. Plugs are in a Vee formation.. Pointing out towards the wings

Not bad.... but make gauging 'squareness' of the plugs a little tricky when refitting🙄
Yes Someone cross threaded one of mine before I bought the car. I managed to forget and follow suit last time. Fortunately now fixed. It needs a bit of care, and stop if you are not sure it is right. Easier that paying for the repair.... Start them off by hand is my tip. Oil filter at £22 is madness ditto air filter. Unfortunately oil at £50 a gallon now seems par for the course.

Last edited:
Yes Someone cross threaded one of mine before I bought the car. I managed to forget and follow suit last time. Fortiunately now fixed. It needs a bit of care and stop if you are not sure it is right. Easier that paying for the repair.... Start them off by hand is my tip. Oil filter at £22 is madness ditto air filter. Unfortunately oil at £50 a gallon now seems par for the course.

I‘ve pricing up bits for my 4x4 I already have the oil just wondering if this filter is okay, there’s a cheaper one for about £6.IMG_0054.png

I wrote a GUIDE when I did the 500 plugs. Less than an hour taking photos along the way..

I have a 3/8" extension with a screwdriver type handle.. I completely bottom the plugs.. Then come out 6 turns

If cross threaded it will now be free of the threads 😉

A pattern part oil filter cost me £300+ few quid for the filter the rest for replacing the ballencer shaft oil seal that a shard of metal from the filter broke dumping all the oil from the engine into the cam belt housing then on the floor whilst my wife was driving, was about a litre from total disaster nothing on the stick, from then on only genuine filters.

I‘ve pricing up bits for my 4x4 I already have the oil just wondering if this filter is okay, there’s a cheaper one for about £6.View attachment 430489
Thats a Magneti Marelli filter and its a brand I trust and use. MM supply some OEM equipment to Fiat. I have not had anything from s4P that would give concern. They quote the FPT filters at £13.44. With oil filters I stick to the FCA stuff but MM parts should be fine. I shall buy one of each so I can compare the MM filter with the one that comes out of my engine.

Last edited:
Back