24 hour drinking?

Currently reading:
24 hour drinking?

KirstyTL said:
It's a good thing.. means pubs will need more staff and I am therefore more likely to get a job :D
is that your vocation in life? surely not.you would make a nice receptionist at least.mind you,a bit of flirting might put your bar tips up.:)

steve1219 said:
I just cannot help seeing alot of people on this thread wrapped up in a shawl,rocking in a chair, watching the news saying "must not go out the youngesters are bad, times were better in our time" :yuck: Things go on and progress!

Eh :confused: it is my time now - I am 23 not 63 :rolleyes: likewise wit a lot of people on this thread - i didnt realise that because some of us dont agree with it makes old.

Apologies in advance if i am repeatign what some people have said, but i haven;t read the whole thread.

I don't see the issue of a 24 hour pub. There are clubs that are open until 7/8am in the morning - so at the moment people can still go excessively drink if they wanted to (and still drive home).

Just because somewhere is open later, doesn't mean everyone will binge until later - it's just nice to have a choice. It does mean though people won't feel the need to drink drink drink quickly before closing time, they can pace themselves better.

Out here, 24 hour drinking is allowed (including purchasing it) and i personally think its great. I don't always want to go to a club, but would like to stay out all night - therefore a 24 hour pub is perfect for me....

I can't speak for the rest of the UK - but in London we already have 24 hour transport as well, so that issue would really not be a problem (y)

sammiboo said:
Eh :confused: it is my time now - I am 23 not 63 :rolleyes: likewise wit a lot of people on this thread - i didnt realise that because some of us dont agree with it makes old.

It is just that a lot of the views bring expressed are those heard from the 'older' generation

They do not know how to behave, need to be told what to do etc.

I would have expected alot more moderate views than what is coming across.

Steve

ben said:
Apologies in advance if i am repeatign what some people have said, but i haven;t read the whole thread.

I don't see the issue of a 24 hour pub. There are clubs that are open until 7/8am in the morning - so at the moment people can still go excessively drink if they wanted to (and still drive home).

Just because somewhere is open later, doesn't mean everyone will binge until later - it's just nice to have a choice. It does mean though people won't feel the need to drink drink drink quickly before closing time, they can pace themselves better.

Out here, 24 hour drinking is allowed (including purchasing it) and i personally think its great. I don't always want to go to a club, but would like to stay out all night - therefore a 24 hour pub is perfect for me....

I can't speak for the rest of the UK - but in London we already have 24 hour transport as well, so that issue would really not be a problem (y)

:yeahthat:

I wish I had your form of expression, agree wholeheartly.

Steve

But its peoples choice to express an opinion aslong as it isnt offencesive.

I never had an issues with pubs closing later - same time as what a club does so people have the choice to stay in a pub rather than be forced to go home early(ish) or go to a club.

My view is i think its a bad idea.

steve1219 said:
It is just that a lot of the views bring expressed are those heard from the 'older' generation

They do not know how to behave, need to be told what to do etc.

I would have expected alot more moderate views than what is coming across.

Steve
why does the older generation not know how to behave ? and be told what to do? reactions to the 24hr drinking are being posted from peoples experiances no doubt.there are to many yougsters who just want to get leathered.they are mixing booze with drugs and we see the results constantly.there are many youngsters who can behave.they are the ones who usually come out the victim.alcoholism amongst teenagers is now spiraling out of control.where will it end?

sumplug said:
is that your vocation in life? surely not.you would make a nice receptionist at least.mind you,a bit of flirting might put your bar tips up.:)

Just need something soon really... and receptionist?:yuck: I am an artist :D :rolleyes:

good work gaz :D im liking ur style

i cant be bothered to read it all, but i honestly think everyones said their bit. its not worth arguing cos its now law. end of the day, its up to the individual to do what they like, up to them to binge their selfs silly to whatever time they want.

Dunc

p.s. i'll be out on the lash fri and sat for as long as i can stand lol

KirstyTL said:
Just need something soon really... and receptionist?:yuck: I am an artist :D :rolleyes:
need to start somewhere,pub work is ok,but very boring or mad busy.why not a 9-5 job?:)

sumplug said:
well,you've painted this picture in my head now of kirsty behind bars:D
She should get locked up as well, with the amount of abuse she gives jamie ;)

Drunk.gif

ben said:

Are you sure about this Ben? Watford is just outside London (22 miles to the West End), but you try getting a train home in the small hours! Last train from Baker Street to Watford (underground Metropolitan Line) is at 12.15am. And those are similar last train times for most of the underground...

There is a later main line train to Watford from Euston, but that still stops running after about 1.30am.

Yes, there are night buses, but they are a nightmare. One hour waiting times, loads of stops, slow, and they terminate at Harrow on the Hill. Not much good finding I am still 10 miles away from home :bang:

That leaves black cabs and minicabs, which are available in a lot of other cities but cost a fortune...

I'd also add as well that yes, 24 hour licencing DOES work. BUT, it works in countries that have a totally different attitude to drinking when compared with the UK.

Having lived and worked in Europe and the USA where late licencing is the norm in most big cities I've seen first hand that it works fine. However, though alcoholism is present in every corner of the world, the UK seems to have a rather different attitude to drinking. Going by the statistics published by the press, TV news and (I think) the government themselves, the UK has been rated as having the WORST binge drinking problem in Europe.

Over here it seems to be the norm to drink as much as possible, and even 'cool' to get completely plastered. Unfortunately, getting plastered often leads to abusive, rowdy, aggressive behaviour. Not in all cases, but many times I've seen mild mannered everyday citizens go from polite and decent people to nasty aggressive yobs when drinking to excess.

Taking my home town as an example, I can't see the new laws having any effect on the binge drinking culture. One major newspaper did a report on town nightspots, and Watford came up with the glory of being described as "Like Ibiza on acid".

We also had an unprovoked attack on Christmas morning of last year (2004) that left an innocent man dead. The attacker was found to be drunk and disorderly after a night of heavy drinking in the town centre.

There are LOADS of nightclubs and bars in Watford that already have late licences. Every weekend I see my home town degenerate into a rowdy, litter strewn, violent no-mans land. From 11pm to 4am there is a constant flow of people coming past my house making noise, causing vandalism, chucking litter, fighting, puking their guts up and generally making complete fools of themselves. They are coming from establishments that close at 11pm (most pubs), some bars with late licences (12am), more bars and clubs (1am) and a select few big clubs that are open up to 3am.

Ironically the town centre is just over a mile from where I live, yet I will avoid it like the plague. If I go out, I'll go to London instead by car which means I can't drink unless I go as a passenger in a friends car. For me that's not a problem, but it highlights the fact that my home town is so bloody awful at night I'd rather stay sober and drive a 44 mile round trip instead.

Quite how the 24 hour licencing is going to have much effect here escapes me. I suspect that instead of the procession of drunkards starting at midnight, it will simply shift to 2am or later.

On top of that, I feel very sorry for the over stretched police that have to put up with abuse every weekend, and the ambulance service that also have to take abuse and deal with idiots who don't know their limits.

In the long run, 24 hour licencing will work, but only when attitudes change and the UK can banish this stupid binge drinking yob culture. Until then, I suspect nothing will change. The cause as to WHY so many people WANT to binge drink (regardless of closing times) needs to be found and addressed before we can hope to follow examples of workable 24 hour licencing, as shown by our European cousins.

Maybe it's going to take a generation to suffer with alcohol generated liver problems before anyone actually bothers to sit up and take note. Perhaps it's going to take a few more George Bests before the general public realise that necking umpteen pints in one go is not good for their health. Sadly, that's a few years away yet, but maybe only then will the **** hit the fan.

I also agree with someone elses post on here, that if alcohol was just discovered it would be instantly banned, and most likely classed as a class 'B' or even 'A' drug!

But too much in the way of industry and of course government taxes come from this 'drug' alcohol, so it looks like it is here to stay. I just wish more people would drink responsibly and stop making town centres no go areas for other people who just want a pleasant night out.

Chas

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the idea of 24 hour drinking in itself, despite being a non-drinker. The 24/7 society is coming and this is just one part of it. People who work funny shifts or want to buy wine with their shopping at 1am in the morning should be able to do so. It's the attitude some people have towards alcohol - not have a drink and relax and get merry and have a good time but drink until you fall down, puke up and make a prat of yourself. It's no good saying pubs shouldn't serve drunk people because they'll just get their mate to go to the bar for them. But bouncers and bar staff should keep an eye open and be able to refuse service and eject drunk people. I also feel very sorry for some of the people who live around pubs/ bars/ clubs open for all hours and think they should have more rights than they currently do - the councils say they will listen to objections but in practice this appears to be untrue so they should start listening to the people who voted them in! As for the taxi queue fights, these will still happen. Check out Scotland where the law has been like this for some years - I always ended up waiting ages for a taxi and rowing with people about queue jumping etc!

1986Uno45S said:
Are you sure about this Ben? Watford is just outside London (22 miles to the West End), but you try getting a train home in the small hours! Last train from Baker Street to Watford (underground Metropolitan Line) is at 12.15am. And those are similar last train times for most of the underground...

There is a later main line train to Watford from Euston, but that still stops running after about 1.30am.

Yes, there are night buses, but they are a nightmare. One hour waiting times, loads of stops, slow, and they terminate at Harrow on the Hill. Not much good finding I am still 10 miles away from home :bang:

That leaves black cabs and minicabs, which are available in a lot of other cities but cost a fortune...

I'd also add as well that yes, 24 hour licencing DOES work. BUT, it works in countries that have a totally different attitude to drinking when compared with the UK.

Having lived and worked in Europe and the USA where late licencing is the norm in most big cities I've seen first hand that it works fine. However, though alcoholism is present in every corner of the world, the UK seems to have a rather different attitude to drinking. Going by the statistics published by the press, TV news and (I think) the government themselves, the UK has been rated as having the WORST binge drinking problem in Europe.

Over here it seems to be the norm to drink as much as possible, and even 'cool' to get completely plastered. Unfortunately, getting plastered often leads to abusive, rowdy, aggressive behaviour. Not in all cases, but many times I've seen mild mannered everyday citizens go from polite and decent people to nasty aggressive yobs when drinking to excess.

Taking my home town as an example, I can't see the new laws having any effect on the binge drinking culture. One major newspaper did a report on town nightspots, and Watford came up with the glory of being described as "Like Ibiza on acid".

We also had an unprovoked attack on Christmas morning of last year (2004) that left an innocent man dead. The attacker was found to be drunk and disorderly after a night of heavy drinking in the town centre.

There are LOADS of nightclubs and bars in Watford that already have late licences. Every weekend I see my home town degenerate into a rowdy, litter strewn, violent no-mans land. From 11pm to 4am there is a constant flow of people coming past my house making noise, causing vandalism, chucking litter, fighting, puking their guts up and generally making complete fools of themselves. They are coming from establishments that close at 11pm (most pubs), some bars with late licences (12am), more bars and clubs (1am) and a select few big clubs that are open up to 3am.

Ironically the town centre is just over a mile from where I live, yet I will avoid it like the plague. If I go out, I'll go to London instead by car which means I can't drink unless I go as a passenger in a friends car. For me that's not a problem, but it highlights the fact that my home town is so bloody awful at night I'd rather stay sober and drive a 44 mile round trip instead.

Quite how the 24 hour licencing is going to have much effect here escapes me. I suspect that instead of the procession of drunkards starting at midnight, it will simply shift to 2am or later.

On top of that, I feel very sorry for the over stretched police that have to put up with abuse every weekend, and the ambulance service that also have to take abuse and deal with idiots who don't know their limits.

In the long run, 24 hour licencing will work, but only when attitudes change and the UK can banish this stupid binge drinking yob culture. Until then, I suspect nothing will change. The cause as to WHY so many people WANT to binge drink (regardless of closing times) needs to be found and addressed before we can hope to follow examples of workable 24 hour licencing, as shown by our European cousins.

Maybe it's going to take a generation to suffer with alcohol generated liver problems before anyone actually bothers to sit up and take note. Perhaps it's going to take a few more George Bests before the general public realise that necking umpteen pints in one go is not good for their health. Sadly, that's a few years away yet, but maybe only then will the **** hit the fan.

I also agree with someone elses post on here, that if alcohol was just discovered it would be instantly banned, and most likely classed as a class 'B' or even 'A' drug!

But too much in the way of industry and of course government taxes come from this 'drug' alcohol, so it looks like it is here to stay. I just wish more people would drink responsibly and stop making town centres no go areas for other people who just want a pleasant night out.

Chas
wow! absolutely correct.well put and said.:)

Well I must admit, I don't think of Watford as London ;) I lived in Clapham and Kingston, both which had night buses every 30 minutes and only took about 15 minutes and 30 minutes to get home respectively.

I think also, binge drinking is partly caused by early closing - it means you go out, you need to get as much in as possible before the place closes. When there is no time limit, you can pace yourself.

Now yes there will be people who binge drink - but a 24 hour law is not going to change anything here. If anything, they will need to go home earlier as they are mullered, whilst everyone else can stay (so there will be no one to fight with ;))

For the sensible people, this is a great step forward - for the others, I don't think it will make any difference - if they go out to get wasted - 1, 2, 3 or 10 hours will be the same.

Basically alcohol will always cause problems, regardless of how long something is open - the only solution is to ban it completely.

I also don't think the police will be any more stressed, they will still have the same amount of people to deal with, just now at different times - so surely this is better for them (rather than needing to be in loads of places at the same time/....?)

If shops are able to sell 24 hours too - this can also be a good thing, as instead of people needing to stay out to drink, they can pick up a bottle of wine or something and go home - continue the party there! (y)

Back