24 hour drinking?

Currently reading:
24 hour drinking?

Sorry I did not mean for it to be taken as I took it as a personal insult against me ( Don't really care most of my 'binge' drinking was done years ago:D ) I meant it as against every person needing to be told what to do.
Drink seems to be getting the bad press for all troubles,how is it every where else that has long drinking hours does not have the problems we do with British drinkers surely it is because they are used to the hours and have therefore adjusted their habits accordingly so maybe it will work.

If it does not then maybe we have a deeper rooted problem??

Steve

steve1219 said:
Sorry I did not mean for it to be taken as I took it as a personal insult against me ( Don't really care most of my 'binge' drinking was done years ago:D ) I meant it as against every person needing to be told what to do.
Steve

Glad you weren't offended :)

So if what everybody is saying is right, what stops all clubs just closing at (say) 3am, how will it become staggered?

The Negotiator said:
So if what everybody is saying is right, what stops all clubs just closing at (say) 3am, how will it become staggered?
Because not all clubs will get a 24hr licence.

But all clubs that apply for one with the correct conditions can.

Also, if pubs can now open until the same time as clubs, this again could increase the number leaving at 2.

chrisunoman said:
But it might be... we shall see.

That's the bit I can't understand about the reason for the goverment to change, because the fact "it might" isn't such a good reason.

Looking at this from a different angle, with many people here opposed to opening longer, why is no-one called for closing time to be brought forward, or even (shock horror) for alcohol to be made illegal. After all, other drugs that have similarly, (or even less) damaging consequences are illegal.
If alcohol was discovered today, there's no way it would be classed as a legal drug....
H

where i live,there is or were 45 pubs in a square mile.until the outdoor market was built,there was 47,making it the most dense for pubs in britain.now those pubs need custom.not just at weekend,but all week.what happened,the breweries and the government put beer prices mega high.so the pubs came up with an idea.lets have an happy hour.this happy hour allowed doubles for a £1.the happy hour became 2 hours,then 3 hours and so on.people looked at this and decided to have there own before going out.you have seen no doubt the programme on bravo following drunks around various towns whilst they got drunk. they necked several shorts down before hitting town.they were half cut.that to me showed the mentality of getting smashed at weekend a sorryful state of affairs. also i know a few people who are really decent.get a drink down them,and there personality changes for the worse.they are a nightmare to have as company.always looking to start fights.and they are not all men either.it shows we are a nation of alcoholics

christopher watson said:
24 hour drinking - that means we will never see the irish members again :D
This law applies to the UK. Ireland is a different country. :rolleyes:
H

hmallett said:
This law applies to the UK. Ireland is a different country. :rolleyes:
H
two parts to ireland.northern ireland is under uk rule.southern ireland have no hours as far as i know.officially yes.real world,no.:)

havent read the thread but **** yeah its a great thing, no more rushing to the supermarket before 11pm and buying far too much booze for one night lol... whoop whoop spent £10 on 2 mates tonight on 20 330ml bottles of stella and when i left 1 was left lol, no more wasting my money wooohooo

So pretty much everyones against it then :rolleyes:

I have to say that the stabbing in Brum has erm scared me slightly :eek: i will be hiding in amoungst all the lads when we're going round Broad Street at Christmas :eek:

black_cinq said:
So pretty much everyones against it then :rolleyes:

I just cannot help seeing alot of people on this thread wrapped up in a shawl,rocking in a chair, watching the news saying "must not go out the youngesters are bad, times were better in our time" :yuck: Things go on and progress!

Steve

steve1219 said:
I just cannot help seeing alot of people on this thread wrapped up in a shawl,rocking in a chair, watching the news saying "must not go out the youngesters are bad, times were better in our time" :yuck: Things go on and progress!

Steve
dont know what its like in south wales,but at weekend where i live,the ambulances queue up to take the mindless thugs to hospital and the police,what police.i dont call it progress.so many people stay away.i dont want to be a victim like a mate of mine.he's got a scar running from his mouth to below his chin because he was first in the taxi queue.rocking chair safer.:(

The town I live in regularly appears as one of the top most violent towns in the UK, mostly drink related, but what I have said previously as stated by our police there has been no increase when they brought in all day drinking so lets see what happens with 24Hr drinking.
Everyone only has a certain amount of deposable income so it will all adjust.

This is starting to remained me of my older family members whose only information is the TV and tablots suddenly they would panic everytime they saw a youngster in a hoodie because they were all bullies and criminals, they were shocked when they were shown their own youngsters dressed like it and when my parents talked to some car modders in a car park it changed their view all of them are a bit more relaxed now they realise the news only shows the bad side of life not always the good.

As in everything there is good and bad, we must never let the small minority of idiots stop the majority of us from enjoying life.

Steve

It's a good thing.. means pubs will need more staff and I am therefore more likely to get a job :D

Back