General 2019 4x4 Cross Running in

Currently reading:
General 2019 4x4 Cross Running in

gloomyandy

Sorry I'm sure this question has been asked before but...

What's the current recommendation on running in a TA as fitted to the Cross 4x4 (2019). At the moment I'm just leaving the ECO setting on (it is always on by default) and following the gear change indicator. No idea if this is good or bad. Most of my mileage is likely to be 60-70 mile motorway journeys if that makes any difference?

Oh and what's the scoop on oil with this engine, I've seen a number of comments about how important it can be to get it right.

Thanks!

Probably better to ignore the gear change indicator. Use a light foot on the accelerator, and don't make the engine 'labour' by putting your foot down at low rpm.

Changing up early (as these indicators often suggest) might give marginally better fuel consumption, but is hard on the engine and clutch, especially for any vehicle with a dual mass flywheel.

A car might be CAPABLE of pulling away from low speeds in high gear, but that does not mean it is a sensible thing to do.

There are nor running in requirements for teh car. Common sense says give it a little time to settle in before driving hard or fast, but a good mix of driving conditions and allowing the car to run through the rev range is a good idea. If you don't hammer a car it will always last longer and treating the engine with mechanical sympathy from the word go is a good thing. Its clear that you do need to use the engine though to avoid labouring it. Use the eco switch as you choose.

I hope you enjoy the new motor as much as I do mine!

Hi.

I bought a new TA in 2013.. and while waiting for delivery I was concerned by stories of high oil consumption.

I read of a method for seating the piston rings in the bores. Car has not shown evidence of any level drops in 50k miles.

We now have a recent purchase panda of 10k miles.. and will be doing the same to it

This 2013 panda is VERY tight: sluggish
compared to my TA punto.

OIL:

The oil is used in additional ways compared to a conventional engine design..

So I have purposely stuck with the FIAT specific Petronas oils.

Charlie

That's intriguing, so what was the procedure for seating the rings?

Nice and simple.. and rewarding..:)

Get nice and warm ..towards the end of a 30 minute drive..etc

So everything is all up to operating temperature.

When entering a bend..or roundabout.

When changing down.. go a gear lower than normal..
for @ 5 seconds the rpm : tacho will flick round to @4,000 this is how they run in racing motorcycles.

The TA has similar characteristics..

Natrually free revving..very little engine braking.

I just did that once a week until the 6k oil change..

Oil changes.. I just get annually so @8k.

Not far.. but some others talk about 3k.. which I look at as a bit excessive.

Charlie

Back