General 100hp now a comfortable ride

Currently reading:
General 100hp now a comfortable ride

Anyone got the part number for 100hp rear shocks?

Just requested a set of shocks at work and they come up on the system as all pandas... seemigly the system thinks 100hp shocks are the same as standard :confused:

Yeah, I'll miss my Cinq, I already miss a good part of one of the rear arches ... that, general tattyness and Cinq crash safety is making me look at 100HPs. Apart from a HG fail and the obligatory clutch cables the Cinq has been pretty reliable, though I would enjoy the extra toys on a 100HP, and the extra squirt of speed too :)

Cinq and Sei may be better because they also have a pair of trailing arms instead of a single beam between the rear wheels?

Supercub. I changed my 100HP dampers all round with standards but I don't drive my car to the potential limits it may be capable of. If you look at the Koni Damper Experiment thread you will find that many are using either Koni adjustable Sports or the cheaper Koni "Steet" to replace at least the rear dampers in an attempt to reduce the harsh ride. You might want to look at tyre ratios as well as this also helps.

About the 100hp bounciness... has anyone driven (ideally, owned) a Cinquecento or Seicento Sporting as well, and could compare the two on standard suspension?

Did over 120,000 miles in a much-liked Cinquecento Sporting - as usual it was somewhat under-damped but, having much softer springing, the pogo effect was not noticeable. Not nearly as chuckable as a 100HP, which is the quickest thing I've driven round smooth roundabouts.

Supercub. I changed my 100HP dampers all round with standards but I don't drive my car to the potential limits it may be capable of. If you look at the Koni Damper Experiment thread you will find that many are using either Koni adjustable Sports or the cheaper Koni "Steet" to replace at least the rear dampers in an attempt to reduce the harsh ride. You might want to look at tyre ratios as well as this also helps.

The prime intention in fitting Konis is to stop the bouncing, especially on the rear end; any gain in comfort is a secondary consideration. You don't mean "standards" as the dampers you've fitted are not standard on the 100HP - you mean "as fitted to petrol-engined 1.1 and 1.2 Pandas" - not sure how many times this has been pointed out.

The prime intention in fitting Konis is to stop the bouncing, especially on the rear end; any gain in comfort is a secondary consideration. You don't mean "standards" as the dampers you've fitted are not standard on the 100HP - you mean "as fitted to petrol-engined 1.1 and 1.2 Pandas" - not sure how many times this has been pointed out.

i think its fairly obvious what he means. A bit less of the constant one upmanship and this thread might make some sence. A bit like alot of the threads on here realy. Too many know it alls. :bang:

Thanks Supercub! In my case comfort was the MAIN consideration as I loved the looks, equipment and oomph of the 1.4 100HP but not the bone shaking ride. I also took a year of ownership to decide on the work done. The harsh ride is the reason that residuals drop and dealers generally find 100HPs take a while to shift. Now of course, I could always change the 100HP shorter springs for the usual springs fitted to all other panda’s except 4x4 & 100HP. (interesting that the forum noted the same dampers are fitted to both models) The springs would certainly be a match for the dampers I’ve had fitted and improve the comfort factor even more! It’s not necessary as I have found a happy medium with tyres & dampers. (Can you imagine the reaction from some purists if I did?) Interestingly the Fiat garage that supplied the parts didn’t raise an eyebrow when the objective was explained by an experienced mechanic from my own local garage! I wonder what the reaction would have been if I had bought a 1.1 or 1.2 or MJ and slung a 1.4 engine in. But then I would be missing the climate control, sport interior, body mod’s……….

Mine is due for new tyres soon, so I'll go for 195/50s and report on the change in ride without any suspension changes.

If it is still too hard, I'll go for the rear shock change to Konis.

It is an utterly fantastic little car, ruined by its ride. I find myself taking the A roads instead of the B roads, which defeats the purpose of such a car. A shame, but hopefully easily fixed.

Mine is due for new tyres soon, so I'll go for 195/50s and report on the change in ride without any suspension changes.

If it is still too hard, I'll go for the rear shock change to Konis.

It is an utterly fantastic little car, ruined by its ride. I find myself taking the A roads instead of the B roads, which defeats the purpose of such a car. A shame, but hopefully easily fixed.

Redlake27 the 195/50's will take 80% of the sting out of the harsh ride, the other 20% will be completed buy the Konis (which is essential, dont just do the tyres). Its not perfect but a lot better than factory settings. Please note none of these mods are for ultimate performance they are for comfort so as long as thats your end goal you will be happy with your results. I am. :slayer:

Well, I have to say that the ride on my 100hp Panda is transformed as of today. The combination of Dunlop SP Sports all round with a 50 ratio as against the original 45 (has a similar tread pattern to the eagles) and replacing all the shocks with original Fiat equipment as recommended by my friendly garage including Ron (from TV’s Pimp My Ride) and cohort Keith has stopped me ricocheting over bumps & potholes, rattling my fillings when going over rumble strips and generally makes the car more of a joy to drive. As I said in the Koni thread, I was told that shocks fall into two categories, comfort & sport. All Panda’s except the 100hp & 4x4 have the comfort shocks and funnily enough the Koni’s fit the same criteria. I was persuaded to go for OEM comfort as these shocks were designed for the chassis and of course will not cause any mismatch. The original springs have been retained and even before I got the car back one of the mechanics (who does rally driving) had road tested the vehicle to ensure the handling was all OK. Having just done a 50 mile round trip ranging from country side-roads to the A12 motorway I have to say I’m delighted with the new ride. The cost of the original equipment is on par with Koni at £80+vat (£96 each) for the fronts and £60+vat (£72 each) for the rears. Dunlops came in at £58+vat (£69) each less than half the price of similar boots on my VW Eos. Fitting charge £150 included 20 mins trying to get the alloys off the hubs. I’d have been mullered if I had needed to change a wheel. Worth checking yours to make sure they are not seized on the hubs. Alright, cost me a few bob but after a year of ownership it feels like a new car. I would recommend this mod to any 100hp owner who wants a more comfortable ride!
My 100hp ride is now fixed. Oversprung
How to:
fit 50 ratio Perelli's
Front & rear springs meant for 1.2 2005 model
Front = Suplex P/N 09159 £23 ea from Car Factors UK (ebay)
Rear = Suplex P/N 09136 £22.50 ea from above
Rear shocks £45 pair intended for 1.2 2005 Panda (slightly longer)
Rear Bump stops from 1.2 2005 Panda £12 pair on ebay - fit straight in.
Total to transform the car about £400 quid - best money I have spent in a long time.

My 2008 100hp rides about 25mm higher, and looks right with the 50 ratio tyres.
The ride quality is now 500% better - no kicking off speed bumps, no pogoing over multiple bumps and I can even drink a cup of tea on the M42!

The Panda is now all I hoped for and more.

I still don't quite understand this whole transforming a 100hp into a 1.2 thing..... I drove a 100hp for a few miles and loved the way it handled.

Me too, I've only just had mine, I kinda like the silly bouncy ride for now, plus it has new rear shocks and tyres all round so I wouldn't want to get rid of them right away anyway. But I'll bear this in mind for in a few years time :)

I'm guessing this is more like a 500 1.4 than a Panda 1.2, I believe the n/a 500 1.4s are nippy but not as harsh as a 100HP?

How does it handle other that over bumps, worse in other cases now?

It's not transforming into a 1.2 thing, it's all about comfort with oomph! I'm driving my 100hp more than my Eos at the moment such is the change in the ride, and my passengers appreciate the change as well!

Had a couple of enquiries as to the part numbers of the original equipment Fiat Shock Absorbers I fitted to improve my ride. Sorry to read that some had problems with the front Koni's. Anyway, after even more miles on my new setup I can say that the ride is still good! The numbers are as follows:
FRONT: 0051857950 REAR: 51870990. I retained the original springs and upped the tyre profile to 50 but it was interesting to read that one member has not just replaced all shockers but used 1.2 springs as well. He reported that the ride was transformed and he is well pleased. Improving the ride seems a growing trend for us 100HP owners!

I dunno... I thought 100hp was meant to feel like a little go-kart, don't get why ppl would want to turn it into a bouncy castle. :confused:
EXACTLY! Fair enough some better dampers to better control the ride, but turning it into a 1.2.....

Had a couple of enquiries as to the part numbers of the original equipment Fiat Shock Absorbers I fitted to improve my ride. Sorry to read that some had problems with the front Koni's. Anyway, after even more miles on my new setup I can say that the ride is still good! The numbers are as follows:
FRONT: 0051857950 REAR: 51870990. I retained the original springs and upped the tyre profile to 50 but it was interesting to read that one member has not just replaced all shockers but used 1.2 springs as well. He reported that the ride was transformed and he is well pleased. Improving the ride seems a growing trend for us 100HP owners!

Well, I'd be more surprised if the suspension characteristics had changed in a relatively short time.

The trend is for a better-controlled ride - which I consider to be improved - not to fit dampers that result in an even more under-damped system. If you see my comments in another thread about our recent trip to Italy, you'll see that reducing the effectiveness of the dampers - especially the rears - can only be a retrograde step as far as I can see.

I dunno... I thought 100hp was meant to feel like a little go-kart, don't get why ppl would want to turn it into a bouncy castle. :confused:

Do you own an 100hp? I do and after 3 years of ownership its either sell up or soften the harsh pogo ride. I opted to fit Konis (on the rear only) and 50 profile tyres. I am happy I did, I still have the go kart handling but less spine jarring bouncing. Needless to say I still have the car as well.

My wife refused to get into my 100HP on standard suspension as it made her car sick due to the harsh and bumpy ride. Now I've changed to the Koni STR/T front and rear with Spax springs set up she has actually noticed the amazing difference and could see why I had to change the suspension. I now have comfort as well as improved the handling. It now embarrasses my Clio Sport friends around corners in what was regarded as one of the best handling chassis on a hot hatch.

Back