General 100hp now a comfortable ride

Currently reading:
General 100hp now a comfortable ride

Hi again Cinqster. I've posted a "side view" in PhotoShop Gallery with the others. Not particularly good as weather overcast at time. Still, shows that the 50 profiles are not overbearing. How did you show pic's in your reply?

Picture is fine, thank you, it looks ok, not too fat.

To post a photo from the forum, whilst writing a post you will notice a post card graphic roughly in the middle just above where you can type (hover over it and it will say "insert image"), click it and paste in the web address of the photo in your reply/post. You will need two brower tabs open to do it at the same time (or as least I do).

Preview/submit your post and it will be there.

Or upload to the Gallery to your own personal Gallery space - then when making a post, click on the little Camera Icon above (to the right of where you type) - which allows you to select photos that you have already uploaded :)

Or use the Paperclip icon to attach images.

Ideally, we prefer on-site hosting instead of people using off-site links.

Last edited:
Thanks lads...when the sun comes out I'll try to take another side shot if only to try & include the pic in the post!

Glad you tried this wurz... think im gonna give it a go :)

My fiance drives the car more than me, and although we both love it, we are getting a bit sick of feeling like our heads are going to fall off when driving in the new forest...

And im used to lowered cars!! ive had several with coilovers :eek:

Wurz

After your positive feedback I was in need of replacement tyres all round so I opted for the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. I went up a profile like you to 195/50/15. I have driven the car 20 miles today with them, the first 10 with the standard shock setup the next 10 with Koni Str.t dampers.

The 50 profile has made a much improved difference. Speed bumps are far better and the crashy nature had dissipated, its more compliant. Still stiff but alot better and I am happy with the overall result so far, a few more miles will tell.

The Konis Str.t rear shocks have also improved the situation as well. I will post my thoughts on those in the other thread.

Here is my car on the 195/50/15's. Chunky but just about acceptable. (y)

Last edited:
Glad you found the results good, you'll notice it more when you do the fronts as well. When I did my research I noticed the Koni "Streets" were listed for ALL pandas including the 100HP and were a similar spec to the Fiat OEM listed for all pandas except 4x4 & 100HP so go figure! I opted for Fiat as they were recommended and as I put more miles on I appreciate, as you will, the transformed ride aided by the higher profile tyres!

The spec of the Koni SRT.T dampers matches the softest setting of the Koni Sport springs. They should be noticeably "firmer" than stock. Is Wurz suggesting that Fiat OEM dampers for the 1.1 and 1.2 are as firm as Koni SRT.T (and therefore as firm as soft set Koni Sports?). I'm confused!!

I was just noticing that the Koni "Streets" were listed for all pandas whereas the OEM Fiats were listed for all pandas except 4x4 & 100HP. In the OEM case it would suggest a softer damper than those fitted as the original bone shaking ones on the 100HP. If the Konis are advertised as suitable for all inc 100HP then quite possibly they are firmer than the Fiats standards dampers. It was an assumption, not a known fact!. I went for Fiats all round as they are fitted to millions of pandas and are a proven product and certainly have worked for my vehicle. No doubt the Koni's will do a good job too as Cinqster has found with his.

I was just noticing that the Koni "Streets" were listed for all pandas whereas the OEM Fiats were listed for all pandas except 4x4 & 100HP. In the OEM case it would suggest a softer damper than those fitted as the original bone shaking ones on the 100HP. If the Konis are advertised as suitable for all inc 100HP then quite possibly they are firmer than the Fiats standards dampers. It was an assumption, not a known fact!. I went for Fiats all round as they are fitted to millions of pandas and are a proven product and certainly have worked for my vehicle. No doubt the Koni's will do a good job too as Cinqster has found with his.

Ok, so what you've done is put dampers on the car which are "softer" than the ones that were originally on it. Some of the benefit that you're experiencing is probably just because the old dampers were knackered. It was the same when I replaced mine with standard Bilsteins.

You've gone in the opposite direction of what everyone else has suggested and experienced. The Panda 100HP is definitely under-damped in stock form (Fiat seemingly used the 4x4 dampers as that's what was available and very easy / cheap). The Koni STR.T and Sport dampers will be both "firmer" than any stock Panda damper. This would better match to the 100HP springs, and control the pogo effect that's experienced under certain conditions (usually at higher speeds and when the road surface is uneven - the suspension being put under proper load). In these higher speed circumstances, your solution won't help and could result in a significant worsening of car control. So whilst at slower speeds and around town the car may be more comfortable to be in, at higher speeds I'd be fairly concerned about the complete mismatch of springs and dampers.

So it may suit your own situation but when you come to sell the car, you've got to tell the new owner what changes you've made...

Ok, so what you've done is put dampers on the car which are "softer" than the ones that were originally on it. Some of the benefit that you're experiencing is probably just because the old dampers were knackered. It was the same when I replaced mine with standard Bilsteins.

You've gone in the opposite direction of what everyone else has suggested and experienced. The Panda 100HP is definitely under-damped in stock form (Fiat seemingly used the 4x4 dampers as that's what was available and very easy / cheap). The Koni STR.T and Sport dampers will be both "firmer" than any stock Panda damper. This would better match to the 100HP springs, and control the pogo effect that's experienced under certain conditions (usually at higher speeds and when the road surface is uneven - the suspension being put under proper load). In these higher speed circumstances, your solution won't help and could result in a significant worsening of car control. So whilst at slower speeds and around town the car may be more comfortable to be in, at higher speeds I'd be fairly concerned about the complete mismatch of springs and dampers.

So it may suit your own situation but when you come to sell the car, you've got to tell the new owner what changes you've made...

Dan, we've been through this with Wurz many times. The problem is that at the same time he changed the dampers he also changed the tyres so he doesn't even know what has made the difference, the tyres or the dampers. But sadly he just doesn't want to listen.....

Exactly - see my earlier post about the risk of being scared sh--less under certain road conditions.

Thanks for your concern lads, but to put things in perspective my main ride is a 200HP 2ltr Sport VW Eos CC (that’s the one with the golf GTi lump) that in the last year has clocked 17000 mainly motorway miles to and fro from work. My 100Hp panda I purchased May last year has done less than 3500 city miles doing runs to Tesco, 7 miles to Town, and the occasional 12 mile trip to the civic dump. I always fancied a Panda as a back-up car and the 100HP fitted the bill on all aspects except the weedy horn (changed to a dual horn with advice from the forum) and the harsh ride. The chances of me using it long distance are remote and at this type of mileage should last me for years. It’s a funky city/second car for me. I’ve kept the original low mileage dampers in case I get a hankering to have a bone-shaker again. I’ll be changing the Eos long before I part with the cheeky Panda! Oh and I just fitted the Aero flat windscreen blades that I saw on another post and ordered via ebay.

Thanks for your concern lads, but to put things in perspective my main ride is a 200HP 2ltr Sport VW Eos CC (that’s the one with the golf GTi lump) that in the last year has clocked 17000 mainly motorway miles to and fro from work. My 100Hp panda I purchased May last year has done less than 3500 city miles doing runs to Tesco, 7 miles to Town, and the occasional 12 mile trip to the civic dump. I always fancied a Panda as a back-up car and the 100HP fitted the bill on all aspects except the weedy horn (changed to a dual horn with advice from the forum) and the harsh ride. The chances of me using it long distance are remote and at this type of mileage should last me for years. It’s a funky city/second car for me. I’ve kept the original low mileage dampers in case I get a hankering to have a bone-shaker again. I’ll be changing the Eos long before I part with the cheeky Panda! Oh and I just fitted the Aero flat windscreen blades that I saw on another post and ordered via ebay.

Hmmm.

About the 100hp bounciness... has anyone driven (ideally, owned) a Cinquecento or Seicento Sporting as well, and could compare the two on standard suspension?

I have owned both a Cinq Sporting and Sei Schumacher (basically a Sporting with a few extras) as well as Panda 100hp. The Cinq and Sei are alot softer, the 100hp is much firmer and pogos on stock suspension.

Overall the Panda is the better car but I still miss my Sei.

Back