Yellow - FS Project Seicento 2

Currently reading:
Yellow - FS Project Seicento 2

Johno933 said:
If the cat is new, (ie less than a year old) then it prob not a cat issue, one thing to be aware of, is a non approved CAT converter (i.e cheaper replacement, less good minerals inside) can fail well within a few months, i have seen myself change a CAt converter 1 year, then 11 months later it still fails next MOT......

If we are sure the cat is relativly new, under 1 year, then we need to be thinking, that a internal engine seal is gone, and oil has contaminated the exhaust sytem, which if true would warrent a new cat (as cat fitted will be contaminated) due to Very High HC readings (unburnt oil).

From my years running a gargae and dealing with MOT failures, i can positivly say emmisions are the black arts, of motor repairs....although the most expensice repair is genarraly cat replacement, it solves the issue 9 times out of 10. \if it is an interal oil seal, though you could be looking at replacing cat every year....just to get reading down at time of test...

Other option would be drop another engine in with, existing cat atc and re do a full MOT......which may be a cheaper option, excluding time ....if that then fails for same reason, then we basically confirm the cat, as faulty...as it would be unliky 2 engines both have internal oil leaks.

Did you work for Arnold Clark in a past life trying to sell the most expensive/labour intensive bits? :laugh:

Even with shot piston rings, my Cinq passed emissions. So we're saying it potentially has a leak internally worse than that to throw emissions off by a huge amount? No chance IMO. Having ran variations of this engine for the past 6 years, i'm pretty confident it's not that. Valve seals are new, so that really limits it down to Piston rings of which there are no symptoms at all.

Taking a stab in the dark, the car hasn't had much running, The running it has seems to have been at idle a lot with the airbox off a bit of that, fuelling i think is off at TB (probably badly off), Probably sooting plugs, lambda etc etc. Could well be a selection of sensors at fault. Map, crank, Coolant temp...

Hopefully i'll be able to get a poke about at it soon, Went through everything to sort my own emissions out at engine end so have a fairly good idea on what it could be from looking at/sniffing/pulling plugs off the tell tale areas.

Touchy feely sniffy style of Mechanics > Fault codes :laugh:

Tbh stuarty had said from the off the engine wasnt running 100%...idling too high etc. Im hoping that your on to something and its just a case of setup and adjustment.

Again its just tryin to confirm whats shot and that weve made a difference. Ransoman has some sort of diag kit that he says we can use....hopefully that may be able to help trace the issue?

I obviously can't comment on how it's running now til i see it again, but i know last time it was running, the engine was idling fine and running sweet :) so barring anything having deteriorated internally after a while of it not moving (which shouldn't be the case), then it should just be setting up :)

you should not need diag tools to diagnose somehting wrong on a cento....

it could be the most simple thing .. how far has it been drove , is it still in its "set up" period , if so it will be higer emitions , but if mark gets a look it shold get sorted (Y)

With the Diagnostics we should be able to do a self learning parameter reset and an idle reset. This might help with the emissions.

I think it just needs a few long journeys to properly loosen up again. Shame you can't without an MOT.

Ransoman said:
With the Diagnostics we should be able to do a self learning parameter reset and an idle reset. This might help with the emissions.

I think it just needs a few long journeys to properly loosen up again. Shame you can't without an MOT.

If I've time and the weather is not too atrocious tomorrow night I'm going to try and get Yellow out for a thrash up and down the access roads to the Rowett and round the car park for a bit. It's not going to be a decent long journey and I can't promise anything but better than nothing

i dont know if it has or not but has the fueling on the injector been adjusted any ?? small tiny allen key type thingy lol

Overlooking an icv or unretracted throttle cable, There's only really 2 things that will give it a fast idle, too much air, too much fuel.

Fuel needs leaned back, sensors tested and cleaned if applicable, need to take plugs for a look, check induction for leaks etc

A quick recap of the failures

001 Brakes imbalanced across an axle

002 Horn sounds harsh or grating

003 Nearside rear seat belt retracting mechanism defective

004 Offside rear seat belt retracting mechanism defective

005 Offside front seat belt retracting mechanism defective

006 Nearside steering rack gaiter insecure

007 Nearside windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively

008 Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] fast idle excessive

So we headed back to the shed to take a look at things despite this supposedly being a weekend off. Who am I kidding... we don't do weekends off
:D With thanks to lewisp and his mate Stuart for taking a look at Yellow for us

3 & 4 were easily sorted by Stuart with a bit of lubrication however the drivers seat belt requires a spacer. The white paper test revealed hardly any soot/oil and further investigation left both Lewis and Stuart convinced that the timing is out. Don't ask me reasons why as I was away on one of my acquisition missions at the time however hopefully Lewis will post up later why they think that's the case.

Things that are needed

Punto 1242 airbox
drivers side seatbelt spacer
New horn - maybe going down the air horn route for this
New wiper blade

Lewis and Stuart are not happy adjusting the timing therefore we need help from anyone who can. I won't be around next weekend so we're looking at the 9th of November as the date of the next fix-it meet. Please post up if you are able to get to Aberdeen to help - Yellow needs you

timing is easy to do if its slipped off as it was done a few times when we had it in and out the engine bay

The timing is fine......... What makes you suspect it isn't? it's showing absolutely no symptoms. It's a job i've done many times on many engines including this one, i've not had one wrong or slip yet... And there's even video evidence on here that it was running fine prior to being parked up again.

If anything is out, it's fueling, either mechanically by the tb screw, or digitally by a sensor either getting the wrong message or dead. especially if the TB/airbox isn't sealing on top of that, overfuel + unmetered air = emissions rocket central and a fast idle, strange runnings etc etc

I think the general idea from yesterday is that we need someone on site to check the timings ok....rather than insisting its out.

Theres deffo an air intake issue which I hope a renewed intake system will rectify.

Paper test suggest cat is ok and no lamva issue that we could see....again though....needs expert opionion from someone who knows a 1242 engine properly.

Back