General Yellow Exclamation Warning Triangle

Currently reading:
General Yellow Exclamation Warning Triangle

TTR

Established member
Eh up all (again 🤔)

Months of not a thing then it bl008y starts ..........

Right I’m just checking as I’m sure had this before.

Mrs drives car today from cold / shite weather / fog / mizzle and gets all the heaters , seat heat on, wipers ,full lights on you name it and drives 10 miles to work, all good as usual no triangle.

She Gets in tonight to drive home, no error messages appear but triangle ⚠️ Pops up and stays up, she drives all the way home with same things on 🤬🤬🤬😡

I get home and get the good news 🤔🙄

Went out and first checked battery voltage - 12.7 volts, didn’t check it with engine running - school boy error but heyho

Got in car switched every bl008y thing off before starting car - no triangle 👍

Checked all lights , bulbs, everywhere in works no obvious faults - I’m sure this could be battery related as positive I had it a few years ago hence why I did the above prior to starting

It’s the 2016 battery so it’s had a good life, anyone, I think it’s just high draw and little opportunity to charge up, its thrown a wobble somewhere it’s its algorithms and decided to put out a ⚠️- FFS I’ve no patience for computers .

Anyone confirm or offer a view

Cheers in advance

It usually give a message on the screen in the middle of the dash for a few seconds when it occurs - then the message goes away but the triangle stays. To see the message again you have to restart the car - but if it doesn't happen on restart you have to wait for it to pop up! It was easy on mine - blown bulb...

It usually give a message on the screen in the middle of the dash for a few seconds when it occurs - then the message goes away but the triangle stays. To see the message again you have to restart the car - but if it doesn't happen on restart you have to wait for it to pop up! It was easy on mine - blown bulb...
Ianwalrus,

Cheers - no message at all so no help from the car !

Still thinking 🤔 it’s the battery- wishful maybe

No message on re starting so no the wiser currently-

Keep the ideas coming 👍😁

Ianwalrus,

Cheers - no message at all so no help from the car !

Still thinking 🤔 it’s the battery- wishful maybe

No message on re starting so no the wiser currently-

Keep the ideas coming 👍😁
I suspect you are right; battery. I don't recall your car's model/engine but based on my TA 4x4 experience the Stop Start (SS) battery flatters to deceive - will measure a decent voltage but the reality kicks in under load. Experience says low voltages create carnage with the warning lights on the CanBus system, there are multiple threads on here with ABS, ESC, hill start etc warnings all traced back to an underperforming battery or voltage monitor (on negative battery post for SS cars). Definitely worth double checking for a blown bulb message however, as pointed out above these messages appear once on start up then go away leaving the triangle of doom.

Reactions: TTR
Anyone confirm or offer a view
I can confirm that the Mrs is worthy of blame here as the operator of the vehicle.

When you switched everything off - the Triangle didn't appear? Did it reappear when you switched stuff back on?

I'm wondering if there's an alternator issue here, although, seems as though the battery has accepted charge...

But, I wouldn't discount the Mrs being the issue. To be on the safe side, consider partial replacement.

Panda lls

Eh up

Cross TA 2016 plate - 15000 miles

No Triangle ⚠️ today as instructed Mrs to turn the bl88dy seat of and every other none essential equipment 🙄🤬

Let’s see how we get on - I’ll run a load test over the weekend plus drop into on to my Ctek charger.

I’m pricing up a new battery as well as I’m convinced that’s where the issue is as you rightly comment on

Defo no messages at all, and checked all bulbs and I mean all.

On a better note my post last week on my damp footwell appears sorted now - all dry ( for time being 👍😳)

Cheers all

UKRmedic

Eh up - will take your views as read your posts and you know your electrics - I’m better with the spanner’s and easing tools 🔨👍

To confirm , switched everything off before starting car, no triangle ⚠️👍

Ran car switched off and restarted - still no ⚠️

She ran it today under strict instructions ( see post above 😜) no ⚠️

Will check input into battery when engine running over weekend, but in fairness don’t think it’s the alternator

Re the Mrs - full replacement required not partial- sadly no trade in value or exchange 😂😁😂😂 ( I’m brave on the keyboard- 🐁)

Cross TA 2016 plate - 15000 miles
Just one other consideration. If you have Blue & Me (it maybe the later UConnect that you have in which case stop reading now!) and it has failed (flashing odometer is the indicator) then these modules typically fail on and so will add further drain on the battery even when the ignition is off. You need to physically disconnect the blue and me module under the (RHD) driver's seat to stop this.

Panda lls

Eh up - good shout

I do have the unconnect - but cracking input

Hope this thread of mine helps others who are having similar issues we are covering some ground here 👍😃

Im with you on Battery Voltage dipping..

My old 169 panda .. owned from 2004 to 2018.. got through 4 or 5 half.decent batteries in that 94k..
But no bulbs or fuses

Only time I had any error on dash was when I cranked before the Dash had finished its 'selftest' .. a rare occurence I was generally patient :)

BTW my 2012 twinair is still on its Factory battery.. but Ive just bought a replacement from Tayna

Its a proper AGM battery ( for S:S)
And for £94 with a 5 year warranty seemed a good deal

Im actually putting that on my 500 FIRE as that does get used in traffic (S:S operates 5 times per trip).. and its original Mopar 2018 battery can go onto the twinair..as it hasnt performed S:S in 5 years :) ( I bench charged it a few times in @2015..to restore S:S function.. but not bothered in last 6 years!!)

The old 169 panda would just refuse to crank on its Varta..etc batteries

Modern kit hasnt given me any such issues..

The 2012 sat for months during Covid.. but has managed another 2 winters..
Excellent really !!

To confirm , switched everything off before starting car, no triangle
I'd check charging voltage with engine on, then check voltage in the morning (Where there's been no overnight charge.

If you're happy with the charge system, the liklihood is the battery dropping some power, could be early indication it's on the way out.

However, My take on such things is if it's kinda 'self fixed', continue to monitor going forwards. Frikkin cars are forever throwing up a sporadic one off issue.

And never discount a bad earth, or a loose connection.

To be on the safe side, replace wife. I got a toaster as a replacement for mine. Never been happier.

The warning triangle will light up for really trivial faults. The only time it has happened with mine was for a "failed number plate bulb" that was just a bad bulb contact.

Veresecrazy

Ehup - ta for that , I’m getting more at ease it’s the battery for sure

as a tight proud flat cap wearing Yorkshire man with deeeeeep pockets and short arms - where did you get the battery from.🤔

Technically I’m not coughing up for it I’ll just reduce the Mrs housekeeping money ( que sexist 🐖 / none politically correct comments 😂😁😂😁😂) 👍 . As UKR points out it’s actully pilot error 👍

I’m looking at Exide, Bosch or Varta AGM preferably

Cheers

I'd check charging voltage with engine on, then check voltage in the morning (Where there's been no overnight charge.

If you're happy with the charge system, the liklihood is the battery dropping some power, could be early indication it's on the way out.

However, My take on such things is if it's kinda 'self fixed', continue to monitor going forwards. Frikkin cars are forever throwing up a sporadic one off issue.

And never discount a bad earth, or a loose connection.

To be on the safe side, replace wife. I got a toaster as a replacement for mine. Never been happier.
Interesting; two or four slice model?

On the battery front, if left overnight there will be a tendency for voltage to recover (in my experience) so any reading may not be that meaningful.

The new AGM battery was posted from the Excellent TAYNA batteries of NorthWales..an overnight service for @£8

All those 'good brands' had 3 or 4 year warranties..and were more money..

The 5 years was 'Enduroline'.. or similar

They sell all kinds.. so have a look on their site :)

No plans on keeping the car less than 5 years.. so decision made (y)

The new AGM battery was posted from the Excellent TAYNA batteries of NorthWales..an overnight service for @£8

Cheers 👍

Hi Charlie. Your mention of Tayna and the fact we are discussing batteries here has reminded me that Mrs J came back from shopping the other day and told me the clock is flashing. This happened last winter and after exhaustive checks I came to the conclusion it was the battery voltage dropping just enough when cranking. She's (the car that is) been behaving fine through the summer but I think the battery is just politely giving me advanced warning it's not going to see us through this winter so I might as well get ahead of the game and order a replacement up from Tayna.

The battery in it (Becky, 2010 1.2 169 Panda dynamic eco) is likely to be the original factory fit Exide jobbie but I seem to remember us, and one or two others, having a bit of a conversation about batteries of larger electrical capacity which can be fitted when renewing. Anyone like to make a specific recommendation, especially sizewise - They seem to be "sized" by a three figure number, like 012 or whatever, now a days rather than the older capacity and battery dimensions I'm more used to. The standard offering seems to be a 45 Ah capacity but I'm sure someone was saying a larger capacity item is fitted to the 100Hp and so it will fit the standard 169? Any suggestions/help gratefully appreciated thank you.

Hi Charlie. Your mention of Tayna and the fact we are discussing batteries here has reminded me that Mrs J came back from shopping the other day and told me the clock is flashing. This happened last winter and after exhaustive checks I came to the conclusion it was the battery voltage dropping just enough when cranking. She's (the car that is) been behaving fine through the summer but I think the battery is just politely giving me advanced warning it's not going to see us through this winter so I might as well get ahead of the game and order a replacement up from Tayna.

The battery in it (Becky, 2010 1.2 169 Panda dynamic eco) is likely to be the original factory fit Exide jobbie but I seem to remember us, and one or two others, having a bit of a conversation about batteries of larger electrical capacity which can be fitted when renewing. Anyone like to make a specific recommendation, especially sizewise - They seem to be "sized" by a three figure number, like 012 or whatever, now a days rather than the older capacity and battery dimensions I'm more used to. The standard offering seems to be a 45 Ah capacity but I'm sure someone was saying a larger capacity item is fitted to the 100Hp and so it will fit the standard 169? Any suggestions/help gratefully appreciated thank you.
I've just fitted a 55amp/Hr battery to our 169. Its the same one recommended for the 319 Panda. I wouldnt wait to change your battery as ours just stopped working leaving us stranded. Fortunately twice at home and once at my local garage. The 319 got the new battery and the 169 got the old one from that. It failed two days later. W ehave 2 Yuasa premium batteries with 5 year warranty £78 with a GEM discount from Halfords. Not my favourite supplier but if things go wrong theu do seem to replace things without a fight. I needed a new battery immediately so next day was too slow so the internet was no use. Buy earllier and save a few quid. Amazing the car fires instantly now and rather oddly is clearly running smoother for the change.

Back