Technical Woj's turbo project

Currently reading:
Technical Woj's turbo project

I have been up to something :) I said so many times that I want to find my ways around welding. I organised myself a tig welder for a week and welded all I could find in my basement, in particular some stainless steel exhaust pipes. Sample below :) Great fun this tig thing, simpler than people were trying to convince me, but indeed requires patience.

Attachments

• final2.jpg
    final2.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 112
I have been up to something :) I said so many times that I want to find my ways around welding. I organised myself a tig welder for a week and welded all I could find in my basement, in particular some stainless steel exhaust pipes. Sample below :) Great fun this tig thing, simpler than people were trying to convince me, but indeed requires patience.

Best Polish welding I've ever seen, Woj!

There are folk in England who are convinced that Poles, Czechs, Chinese and Italians are somehow genetically incapable of welding!

(I think they may be right about the Czechs, though................)

That is my best weld so far, it's not perfect, the penetration on the inside is not completely through in all places, but most, see below. But at least I am at the point where I know how to deal with it, what are the crucial things to watch out for, and how to setup the equipment. And I know that next time I am going to undertake a car project I can do the welding myself and not rely on expensive professional welders (though they are really good). Also, unfortunately, I know I cannot afford a decent good quality EU-produced tig that does the things I want it to do. And I am not even talking about AC welding. The one I had for a week is a 170 amps dc only with pulse one, and that one new is over 2k euros, used around 1k. I guess one just have to watch the second hand market carefully and get lucky :)

Attachments

• final2inside.jpg
    final2inside.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 54
You know, I'd not worry overmuch about where they're produced. My guess is that only Miller are actually significantly China free, and my local Miller agent casts doubt on that!

I have a little Rehmann DC set (German name, but Chinese made) which I'm very fond of, no pulse (which is mainly for pretty pretty anyway) but HF start, pre and post gas, etc. and I've recently bought an AC/DC Eastwood (Chinese made to US spec) one which I'm trying to get to grips with.

The Rehmann one cost me about 160 quid a few years ago, but you could buy an equivalent today for maybe £100.

So I had the Rehm Tiger 170 DC thing, I guess it is the same brand. But this one had pulse and is listed at 2200 Euros or so new. You may say looks only, but pulse (high frequency) was much more stable for me and more forgiving. Low freq pulse had the advantage of pacing me properly. HF start is a must, 4 tact mode is really nice too. But apparently I have to do more research here, I also got a good hint for an italian ebay seller that sells all-can-do machines for very decent money.

A silly reason to revive the thread :D, but I noticed that google changed something in gallery links handling and now my build gallery needs a new one, so here it is: [ame]https://picasaweb.google.com/105426133633588533252/FuraPics[/ame] (did not link it, because for some reason placing links is now broken?)

OK, another edit, for some reason FF insists on breaking this link either way...

Last edited:
But i did not try to paste a picture in, only a link to external gellery (had it been a link to any website the same thing would happen, but I will not keep trying not to mess it up).

EDIT: OK, analysing the source of the FF generated page, the link is there and by the looks of it FF tried to embed my google gallery like it does for YT clips, but on my (two) browsers this does not work, I see a white square.

Last edited:
i assume its this.. i went and found and just removed the link, should be able to copy and paste that into address bar and it work now.. If it don't work stick and put 'https://' in front of it.

picasaweb.google.com/105426133633588533252/FuraPics

Last edited:
So, who can tell me what I am up to this time? :cool:

Attachments

• 20141206_122114.jpg
    20141206_122114.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20141206_125453.jpg
    20141206_125453.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
Back