windows XP support

Currently reading:
windows XP support

There was talk of the govt having a contract with Microsoft for extended support -- dunno what became of it.

Does rather raise the question of why we're buying an incompetent closed source OS off a bunch of muppets................

vosa or whatever they are calling themselves are setting up their own programming for mots so the Siemens contract isnt getting renewed next year
this sounds fun ..not:D

At the end of the day, you wouldn't expect Fiat to extend the warranty period on a 500 to 14 years from the standard 4 would you?

I was adamant that XP was fantastic etc until I started using 7, now when I use XP it feels prehistoric!

I tend to find my rule of thumb is using every other one, ie Liked XP, didn't like Vista, Liked 7, don't like 8 so I'm guessing ill move onto 9 next (whenever that is).

At the end of the day, you wouldn't expect Fiat to extend the warranty period on a 500 to 14 years from the standard 4 would you?

I was adamant that XP was fantastic etc until I started using 7, now when I use XP it feels prehistoric!

I tend to find my rule of thumb is using every other one, ie Liked XP, didn't like Vista, Liked 7, don't like 8 so I'm guessing ill move onto 9 next (whenever that is).

it goes further back then that tho
98 was OK
ME was crap
XP was good
Vista was crap
7 is good
8 is crap - So crap they made 8.1
So in thoery win 9 is possibly gonna be a good one?

But heard rumours is gonna be expensive and limits applications running - and you have to pay to run them....

Ziggy

it goes further back then that tho
98 was OK
ME was crap
XP was good
Vista was crap
7 is good
8 is crap - So crap they made 8.1
So in thoery win 9 is possibly gonna be a good one?

But heard rumours is gonna be expensive and limits applications running - and you have to pay to run them....

Ziggy

Heh, i was tempted to go back to 98 in the list but thought as we were talking XP not much point :p

I don't understand why you have this view? Same could be said for any major corporation that makes money by selling a product that people use :confused:

It could.

But to do so is to oversimplify the issue.

Many years ago Gates created a storm by declaring that people should pay for software.

Were that software in any respect superior to other stuff out there it would make some sense. Gates' move was essentially to capture the PC market and through corporate bullying and legalistic stunts try to make it his domain.

He largely succeeded due to public gullibility and idleness.

But the OS and Microsoft's software remains **** poor and insecure.

There are free (as in "free beer" and "open source") operating systems out there which are in most respects superior to Windows -- Linux and Free BSD (the latter forms the basis for Apple's OSX due to an unfortunate copyrighting blunder) are the obvious candidates, but there are others. Both can run a huge range of open source software (and some commercial software, some of which is free in the "free beer" sense) on your PC.

Linux runs Google, the 10 fastest computers in the world and most of the Internet. The NSA use it and write kernels for it (much to Bill's dislike).

Last edited:
It could.

But to do so is to oversimplify the issue.

Many years ago Gates created a storm by declaring that people should pay for software.

Were that software in any respect superior to other stuff out there it would make some sense. Gates' move was essentially to capture the PC market and through corporate bullying and legalistic stunts try to make it his domain.

He largely succeeded due to public gullibility and idleness.

But the OS and Microsoft's software remains **** poor and insecure.

There are free (as in "free beer" and "open source") operating systems out there which are in most respects superior to Windows -- Linux and Free BSD (the latter forms the basis for Apple's OSX due to an unfortunate copyrighting blunder) are the obvious candidates, but there are others. Both can run a huge range of open source software (and some commercial software, some of which is free in the "free beer" sense) on your PC.

Linux runs Google, the 10 fastest computers in the world and most of the Internet. The NSA use it and write kernels for it (much to Bill's dislike).

Before Windows, most computer users were afraid of it, and could open only one or two programs, such as their word processor or spreadsheet. Windows took away the need to know and input DOS commands, opening up computer use to everyone, not just those who were technically minded. Because it worked so well, it became dominant.

Microsoft's Word and Excel, and to a certain extent Access and Powerpoint have become international languages themselves. Companies wishing to communicate worldwide and swap files easily all use these programs. I worked for a company that tried for a long time to use alternatives, but it became difficult to run the business.

There is still no viable alternative to Windows for the majority of the population. They need to be able to switch on and use it, without any knowledge. if you need to exchange word processor or spreadsheet documents, Apple and Linux won't do.

So until an operating system is created that works out of the box, and will run all of Microsoft's office software without a fight, Windows is here to stay.

But we don't have to be happy about it.

Apart from the odd spreadsheet, Open Office/Libre Office will manage fine with Word documents: will save in their .doc format, export to .pdf and is pretty much the industry standard for recovering Word documents that Windows has fubared!

You can buy computers with Linux pre-installed -- it even has a desktop (or two) that Windows users can find their way around.

To my mind, only a fool pays £70 for an MS Office licence when Libre Office and Open Office are free (and made by 2 better software houses!).

What you were saying was true 15 years ago. It's not true now.

I can't fault Office 365 and Onedrive, but if you call me a fool, that is fine. You totally understand my needs and quite clearly need to tell me what I want to use :)

What about the additional £2k+ worth of business licences I need to pay per year to run my business? I am a total idiot now ....

Last edited:
Apart from the odd spreadsheet, Open Office/Libre Office will manage fine with Word documents: will save in their .doc format, export to .pdf and is pretty much the industry standard for recovering Word documents that Windows has fubared!

You can buy computers with Linux pre-installed -- it even has a desktop (or two) that Windows users can find their way around.

To my mind, only a fool pays £70 for an MS Office licence when Libre Office and Open Office are free (and made by 2 better software houses!).

What you were saying was true 15 years ago. It's not true now.

Ouch! "Fool" is a little harsh. (Not true in this context, but probably in others):p

I have OpenOffice, and as you say, for word documents it works fine. Excel spreadsheets it will do basic ones, but struggles with some formatting issues. Not good if exchanging spreadsheets with others. With my work I have to give presentations, using Powerpoint, created by others. OpenOffice can't cope at all. Being very familiar with Microsoft products, makes them easier to use than trying to find the features in a different product, so paying for Office is a small price for ease of use.

I got Office 2010 for £50, sealed, unused, with licence for 2PCs. Not always necessary to get the latest.

So I "need" Office.
I do not "want" Office.

Last edited:
Doing the odd bit of work at home linux and open office etc are fine. It's NO WHERE near suitable for business use i.e. where time = Money..

Only thing I'd ever use Linux is for behind the scene applications where the end user doesn't need to be involved. I've got a customer with a Squid proxy coming up to 4 years uptime :D. Sorry to say it's running on a Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machine :eek:.

Last edited:
Back