Who are you voting for in the elections next month?

Currently reading:
Who are you voting for in the elections next month?

I know who im voting for in the local bit, but not for the MEP. only had one leaflet about candidates in my area and it was **** to say the least, said they vote for things the tories and labour dont, yet never gave any facts.

The basic differences between the parties (in my view) are:

Labour : High tax, high spend, with the emphasis on over-funding and over
staffing with special emphasis on the NHS. The Police and MOD are
usually struggling for money while the NHS are swimming in it.

Tories : Low tax, low spend, with the emphasis on businesses making their
own way without Government intervention. Usually under-funds
public bodies such as the NHS.

Lib-Dem :Somewhere in between but usually fail to appear better balanced
than either of the other 2 main parties. Not as green as the Greens
and not as far left as Labour. Should be the ideal party for those
in the middle of the political spectrum; but usually fail to have any
substantial policies.

UKIP : Not really aware of their policies, except that they would, given
half a chance take Britain out of the EU. Personally, I think that
would be a disaster; but some successes for them may get the EU
into some sort of order which would be a good thing.

Taxpayers Alliance: Parties like these and independent candidates are usually
very narrow in their policies and their appeal to the electorate. But
if there are pressing local issues you don't think are being
addressed by the big boys, then these people could be for you.

That only leaves the marginals like the Monster Raving Loony Party, Communists and the loathsome BNP, so everyone can pick their own bones out of that lot. For most young people voting for the first time, the choice is usually the same as their parents unless they are at Uni, in which case they could come from a family of Stockbrokers yet vote for a Revolutionary Communist candidate; until they get a well paid job, at which time they suddenly join the young Conservatives. Such is life.

If this is your first time, whichever party you vote for, you really can't do too much damage. The important thing, I think, is to take more interest in politics and watch a bit more of the news than just the "and finally" bit.

It might be worth remembering that there is no such thing as an impartial commentator. The papers and TV, while not strictly speaking changing sides, will be a lot more supportive of a party depending on who is leading it. The Express and Mail are supportive of the Tories but not David Cameron. They want a return to hanging and National Service. One of their columnists even went so far as to exhort readers to vote for Labour because he thinks we should have stayed in Suez in 1956. The Mirror is so rabidly supportive of Labour they will brook no argument against them. Even if Stalin took over from rown the Mirror would tell you that internal exile is Siberia is a good thing.

So, if you're voting for the first time, good luck. If not, then you'll probably know which way you're going to vote and won't have read this far anyway.

Last edited:
if you go to the EU profiler website you just fill in the questionnaire, it only takes about 5 minutes, and they tell you which party in your area is best suited to your political opinions.
It will also tell you which party is closest to your opinions in the rest of the EU too.

Apparently I am somewhere to the right of Genghis Kahn.

Cheers

SPD

I don't know why so many people in Britain are anti EU.
We have the right to live and work in any EU member country. Would you want to give that up?
Maybe you love Britain so much that you would never want to leave, fair enough, but at least we have the choice.

How would the democratic system deal with a complete No Vote at a General Election, as a vote of no confidence!

I have no intention to vote, all our cards have been shredded and consigned to the bin...

I can still moan and whinge, I wouldnt trust any one of the scheming, money grabbing coniving tea-leaves as far as I could kick one TBH.... :tosser:'s

voting UKIP or BNP in the Euro elections is a waste of time because they get a seat in the European parliament. That doesn't get us out of Europe, it just puts another idoit in Europe.

If you want us out of Europe you have to vote for them in a general election to put them into government, which is also a waste of time because most people come to their senses in a general election and vote for someone with more than 2 brain cells.

voting UKIP or BNP in the Euro elections is a waste of time because they get a seat in the European parliament. That doesn't get us out of Europe, it just puts another idoit in Europe.

If you want us out of Europe you have to vote for them in a general election to put them into government, which is also a waste of time because most people come to their senses in a general election and vote for someone with more than 2 brain cells.

Would be a hard job 98% of all parties have less than 2 brain cells tbh. Latest episodes just hammer it home further.

We need another Cromwell in the UK, I said it before and I say it again, root and branch reform. The Spivs we call Politicians are supposed to be there to REPRESENT the People and Govern, not DICTATE to the People.

We need another Cromwell in the UK, I said it before and I say it again, root and branch reform. The Spivs we call Politicians are supposed to be there to REPRESENT the People and Govern, not DICTATE to the People.

too fqn right. Did you see question time a couple of weeks ago with that woman MP (Can't remember her name), she came across as if she was the queen all high and mighty. She was then asked if she would pay back the £40k she fleased out the system she said NO!. Then realsed a torrent of heckleing and abuse :devil:.

Should Fire her ass there and then and then prosecute them like you would a criminal. For all the MP's that were deliberatly abusing it anyway.

Back