Tuning Which stainless exhaust from DTR?

Currently reading:
Tuning Which stainless exhaust from DTR?

Neil just noticed you're in Essex - whereabouts? I'm in Woodford Green, right down near Loughton/Ilford/Chingford way.

Hi Jiggy,I live in Grays work in Southend but never far from the Romford/Ilford area, will drop you a line if im heading that way.
let me know if your around this way or heading to Southend in the B when the sun comes out :) (roof down of course), we could compare rusted steel wheel stories (n)

Doc, if you're about, or if anyone else knows the answer (y), quick question about de-rusting the wheels.

Got the sandpaper, and will have a crack at getting most of the rust off tomorrow. But when I was at Halfords just now, I looked for Etch Primer and couldn't find anything. One of the assistants said I needed this "Zinc Primer" spray. I didn't buy it as he was the same fella who tried to sell me the wrong audio lead I was looking for a few weeks ago so not sure I trust his judgement.

Hi Jiggy,I live in Grays work in Southend but never far from the Romford/Ilford area, will drop you a line if im heading that way.
let me know if your around this way or heading to Southend in the B when the sun comes out :) (roof down of course), we could compare rusted steel wheel stories (n)

OK will do mate. Lately the only time I've had the roof down is on the A12, tearing it home from work at about 6am. Invigorating! Keeps you awake anyway for the drive home after a nightshift (y)

Zinc primer is fine, you dont need etch primer for wheels, body yes but not the wheels.

Take your time and let it dry before applying additional coats...........I re-con'd some steelies on a BMW years ago, spent about 3 days removing the rust and prep'ing the surface and then made a total hash of the job by rushing the painting...................I am sure that you would not do the same thing but just in case you are tempted. ;)

best of luck with the B

for the exhausts, i'm considering visiting some friends AND DTR in the coming months, and i still have to decide if i'll go for quad pipes or dual ovals or just one oval :)

as for the wheels, i would not spend too much time and efford on them for now and save up to buy some decent alloys (16") and summertyres (205/45) once the gritting and salting season is over in Albion :)

Then you've got the whole summer (all two weeks of it :) ) to sand down and clean up the current wheels to get them ready for winter again.

Since i'm currently living in a country where they throw in 4 steel wheels and winter tyres as soon as you start hagglin when buying a new car, i've been thinking about it and realized that it makes sense to have two (or 4 depending how you look at it) sets of wheels and tyres. Esspecially in a country where it can get snowy in winter a set of steel rims and cheap but good wintertyres can be a lifesaver.

That said, i've lived in the UK for a few years before coming here, and overthere an allweathertyre makes sense. After all you really get 4 seasons in one day up north :D

Last edited:
Back