Technical Barchetta Exhaust System

Currently reading:
Technical Barchetta Exhaust System

Gonflage

Good afternoon.

I am in need of some advice about selecting and replacing one of the components of my 1999 Barchetta’s exhaust. It is the “middle bit” which has some sort of mesh close to where it joins the back pipe. The car failed its C.T. (French MOT) because the noise level was too high. This apparently was because there was a large hole in part of it.

My village garage said it could not be repaired and would have to be replaced at about the equivalent of £700 in real money, plus their fitting costs.

This seemed a bit steep, so I went looking online and found a non-OEM part for about £80. Is the village garage trying it on or is the online supplier selling rubbish ?

I have been hearing about exhausts for Barchettas with or without catalytic converters. I have no idea if mine has one or not, and I have no idea if this affects my purchase of the middle (?) pipe. I have also seen with the online sellers , reference to a Lambda sensor which apparently screws into the pipe in question. As I am reluctantly about to sell the car, I would prefer the cheaper options if possible.

The “MOT” also referred to the lambda coefficient being outside tolerances OR not conforming to manufacturers specifications. I am right in thinking that replacing the exhaust pipe may somehow cure this problem ?

I shall be most grateful for any help or advice that members might be able to offer.

Thank you

Good afternoon.

I am in need of some advice about selecting and replacing one of the components of my 1999 Barchetta’s exhaust. It is the “middle bit” which has some sort of mesh close to where it joins the back pipe. The car failed its C.T. (French MOT) because the noise level was too high. This apparently was because there was a large hole in part of it.

My village garage said it could not be repaired and would have to be replaced at about the equivalent of £700 in real money, plus their fitting costs.

This seemed a bit steep, so I went looking online and found a non-OEM part for about £80. Is the village garage trying it on or is the online supplier selling rubbish ?

I have been hearing about exhausts for Barchettas with or without catalytic converters. I have no idea if mine has one or not, and I have no idea if this affects my purchase of the middle (?) pipe. I have also seen with the online sellers , reference to a Lambda sensor which apparently screws into the pipe in question. As I am reluctantly about to sell the car, I would prefer the cheaper options if possible.

The “MOT” also referred to the lambda coefficient being outside tolerances OR not conforming to manufacturers specifications. I am right in thinking that replacing the exhaust pipe may somehow cure this problem ?

I shall be most grateful for any help or advice that members might be able to offer.

Thank you
Hi Gonflage,
I suggest you look at https://www.autodoc.co.uk/. I have found them offering good products, good service, and at a reasonable price. It might also pay to check part numbers on ePer and/or the downloadable workshop manual (sections).
Good luck,
Geoff.

Hi Gonflage,
I suggest you look at https://www.autodoc.co.uk/. I have found them offering good products, good service, and at a reasonable price. It might also pay to check part numbers on ePer and/or the downloadable workshop manual (sections).
Good luck,
Geoff.
Hello Geoff

Thank you for the suggestion. I have found auto-doc.fr in France which is where I live. It looks to be the same company as the one you suggested in the UK. It was their low prices that caused to wonder if they were any good, so your recommendation reassures me. Thank you for that. They invite one to put in the registered number (plate) of the car, which I did, but it still does not give me the precise part number.

I have tried to check on ePer but so far cannot get into it.

So I am still trying to find out exactly what I need.

Hello Geoff

Thank you for the suggestion. I have found auto-doc.fr in France which is where I live. It looks to be the same company as the one you suggested in the UK. It was their low prices that caused to wonder if they were any good, so your recommendation reassures me. Thank you for that. They invite one to put in the registered number (plate) of the car, which I did, but it still does not give me the precise part number.

I have tried to check on ePer but so far cannot get into it.

So I am still trying to find out exactly what I need.
Here are further observations:-
My ePer URL link is here:- http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...P_COD=&ITEMSRMV=&ALL_FIG=0&KEYPRESSED=&CURREN

I have also purchased an ePer CD/DVD through eBay e.g. as at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39454995...Dkx+vs2glX8fbqHkEYvf29Yg==|tkp:Bk9SR97ovvatYg

There is also a tab link for ePer on FiatForum.

The CD version number is v84 and some years old. I have not found out how to purchase a more recent version.

The way I think ePer works is that some access software runs on your local client while the detailed drawings and part number are held centrally by Fiat but are offered for local access.

Re Autodoc – I think it is a German company based in Berlin but which operates local country operations. Certainly I have dealt with Berlin and the UK operation and they both seem competent and detailed. You could try using the .FR site customer service with your part number question. Products I have bought meet Barchetta requirements.

For the Workshop Manual try FiatForum > Fiat > Barchetta, and then search on Workshop Manual. Chris Wiltshire offers some download options.
Good luck,
Geoff.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Following on from that this link should take you to the exhaust page for the pre 2000 model. There are three diagrams that you can step through to get part numbers. I think diagram 2 of the 3 covers the part you're interested in but I'm not sure

When you follow the link you can step through the drawings with the little arrows that I've circled in red

1689841379115.png

By all means post a photograph and we can narrow the search down.
The way I think ePer works is that some access software runs on your local client while the detailed drawings and part number are held centrally by Fiat but are offered for local access.
From what I've surmised release 84 was the last one where all of the data is held on the disc, versions after that probably worked in the way you suggest. I have been doing some work with Ben on getting the forum version updated to release 84 but that doesn't matter much for the B as little changed between the two versions.

The CD version number is v84 and some years old. I have not found out how to purchase a more recent version.

Each version of ePER is as released, stand alone and as published. There is dynamic no linking back to Fiat for any updated info etc.

DVD Rel.84 | Connected users: 1 | Pricelist effective 01.06.2014 | Catalogue date 20.05.2014 |

was the last ever version of ePER. After this they went to KeyPER (USB updatable USB pen drive) which they then discontinued in favour of direct online subscription service only.

Same happened to the eLEARN DVDs. These were replayed by KeyLEARN USB pen drives which were later withdrawn and replaced in favour of direct online subscription service only.

I do have a serious issue with these "online" only services for classic cars owners.

We classic car owners (yes a 500X 2015 model will be classic in years to come) but the old printed, CD, physical information is no longer available. We can find Strada, Uno, Tempra, Barchetta, Croma, Stilo, .... technical/service information preserved. Even 124, 128, 500, 600, Topolino, ........ etc.

However since 2015 ish era Fiat/Lancia/Alfa no longer produce or make available what we used to be able to get to maintain our cars and Fiat/Alfa/Lancia heritage. SUCH A SHAME.

I suspect Fiat/Alfa/Lancia are not the only manufacturers doing this type of strategy.

I suspect they don't care because Stellantis won't exist in 10 years time and will be just an absorbed entity into the every growing BORG!

Back