Technical which gearbox does my ducato have?

Currently reading:
Technical which gearbox does my ducato have?

sven410

Hello all

I have a 2002 facelift ducato camper, and as I have heard Ducatos 2002 and newer has a new kind of gearbox where the 5th gear issue is solved.

however, mine is produced late in 2001 (but still is registered as a 2002) and have some parts from the old ducato( such as small tie rod ends).

How can I see which model gearbox I have??? anyone knows how I can see?

Thanks

Last edited:
For the newer gearbox (fitted to the last of the pre-facelift models, and to the post-facelift ones), reverse is selected by moving the gear-lever left and forward - the older model required a shift to the right, and then backwards.

Next question... is it possible to change the 5th gear ratio the same way as in the older ones?

....I had one of the last pre-facelift versions, but with the new box.

AFAIK, the newer version of the box came with two different 5th gear ratios, an alternative, lower gear being available to order at build time.

Mine was a large motorhome, and was fitted with the lower ratio, giving around 3,000rpm at 70mph (113kph).

The ratios can be changed (though the procedure is slightly different) on the newer box. I have a magazine article in front of me at the moment which quotes the two gearwheel part numbers as 71730222 and 71730204. (I can't personally say these are correct or not, though).

Back