Technical gearbox help fiat ducato 1.9 td

apolloedgar

Make: FIAT
Model series: DUCATO Platform/Chassis (230_ 1.9 TD
66kW (DHX/DHX (XUD9TF/L))
Year: 1998-2002
Fuel type: Diesel
Engine capacity: 1.9 L

was all working fine no noise etc before this so i replaced the clutch and serviced the engine and gearbox oil now have a rattle! anyway, i dropped the box oil which had water in it from im guessing is the top breather, refilled it with semi 75w90 and seems to now have a bit of s gearbox rattle on first stat up? anyone know the correct type of box oil and quantity thats ment to go in to the 1.9 td, 2000 motorhomes? i know about the 5th gear problems and just need to make sure iv not over or under filled it, ps there is no oil level bolt on this one

Make: FIAT
Model series: DUCATO Platform/Chassis (230_ 1.9 TD
Year: 1998-2002
Fuel type: Diesel
Engine capacity: 1.9 L

was all working fine no noise etc before this so i replaced the clutch and serviced the engine and gearbox oil now have a rattle! anyway, i dropped the box oil which had water in it from im guessing is the top breather, refilled it with semi 75w90 and seems to now have a bit of s gearbox rattle on first stat up? anyone know the correct type of box oil and quantity thats ment to go in to the 1.9 td, 2000 motorhomes? i know about the 5th gear problems and just need to make sure iv not over or under filled it, ps there is no oil level bolt on this one

Post a good photo/s of the pressed steel end cover visible from wheel arch

Attachments

• IMG_4726.jpeg
    IMG_4726.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4727.jpeg
    IMG_4727.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4725.jpeg
    IMG_4725.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
1.85 litres 75-90
According to shell website

Rattle on start up could be new clutch rather than gearbox but good you have replaced transmission fluid

1.85 litres 75-90
According to shell website

Rattle on start up could be new clutch rather than gearbox but good you have replaced transmission fluid
yeah i put to much in then think i did 3l ill drop it tomorrow and put the 1.8 in, is that semi or fully synthetic? yeah i thought the clutch maybe a bad thrust bearing

Synthetic means nothing it has to be the correct 75-90 and GL spec

It boils down to using the reccomend spec for your gearbox if it needs gl4 use gl4 don't think using gl5 will be better

It boils down to using the reccomend spec for your gearbox if it needs gl4 use gl4 don't think using gl5 will be better
cool ill get that comma sx75w/90gl5 was what i was given, ill get the gl4 the morra

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
Hi, Can I refer you to my previous posts on this topic. Gl5 is wrong. It has to be Gl4. 75w90 full or semi is too thin. I am having mine changed today to 80w90. I will post the outcome presently. The capacity should be 2.75ltrs. I have owned my van for 17 years and have found much of the advice on this forum is invaluable, however, some can be a little wayward. Best of Luck, Ian.

Hi, Can I refer you to my previous posts on this topic. Gl5 is wrong. It has to be Gl4. 75w90 full or semi is too thin. I am having mine changed today to 80w90. I will post the outcome presently. The capacity should be 2.75ltrs. I have owned my van for 17 years and have found much of the advice on this forum is invaluable, however, some can be a little wayward. Best of Luck, Ian.
Hi Ian,
Is your van a year 2000 with the peugeot/Citroen 1.9 diesel too?
Cheers
J

They are normally on the ball...
Perhaps ring them

The later 2.0 and 2.8 gearboxes have a capacity of 2.7 litres according to fiat documents.

Hi again, Re. my previous post, have had oil changed just now. Capacity just short of 1.8ltrs so the information I was given from a previous garage was wrong and Jackwoo was right. Can only apologise for passing it on. The 80w90 I've had put in seems to help make gear changes smoother but time will tell. My van is a 1996 registered 1.9td. Its year of manufacture is anybodies guess as it is Italian coach built and, I believe, they are prone to letting them lie around a bit before conversion. Wouldn't it be fantastic if you could ask Fiat for all this information. They don't even produce a workshop manual for my van so I am reduced to gleaning any information from any source, reliable or otherwise, and taking pot luck as to which to believe. Best of Luck, Ian.

Hi again, Re. my previous post, have had oil changed just now. Capacity just short of 1.8ltrs so the information I was given from a previous garage was wrong and Jackwoo was right. Can only apologise for passing it on. The 80w90 I've had put in seems to help make gear changes smoother but time will tell. My van is a 1996 registered 1.9td. Its year of manufacture is anybodies guess as it is Italian coach built and, I believe, they are prone to letting them lie around a bit before conversion. Wouldn't it be fantastic if you could ask Fiat for all this information. They don't even produce a workshop manual for my van so I am reduced to gleaning any information from any source, reliable or otherwise, and taking pot luck as to which to believe. Best of Luck, Ian.
that site jackwoo only lists 75w90 for mine what made you go with the 80w90 gl4? mineral? completely lost now lol also says mine is a 98-2002 model
DUCATO Platform/Chassis (230_ 1.9 TD

Last edited:
Hi again, my use of 80w90 is a personal experiment. The theory is Castrol etc. will have been correct for my van when new 27 years ago but I thought, as it was occasionally grating on gear change, I would try a slightly thicker oil to stave off dropping the box and having it refurbished. I'm a Yorkshire man! Spending brass does not come easy with us. All the Best, Ian

Hi again, my use of 80w90 is a personal experiment. The theory is Castrol etc. will have been correct for my van when new 27 years ago but I thought, as it was occasionally grating on gear change, I would try a slightly thicker oil to stave off dropping the box and having it refurbished. I'm a Yorkshire man! Spending brass does not come easy with us. All the Best, Ian
sounds good to me mine is 24 years old so ill give it a try

hi last question did you use gl4 or gl5/? fully synth or semi? got the book now but that doesn't tell you neither, but does say 2.5l to fill it?

Attachments

• IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    584.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5378.jpeg
    IMG_5378.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 13
Back