Technical Gearbox oil level 1996 2.5 TD

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox oil level 1996 2.5 TD

Martin McQuillan

Hi, I have a 1996 2.5 TD Ducato and I’d like to check the gearbox oil level. I’ve read that there’s a dip stick at the rear of the box but I can’t find it. I see there’s a bolt/nut 1/3 the way up the front of the box but not sure if that’s for checking the oil level or holding something internally. some forums say it takes 1.9 litres and others say 2.7 litres. Any help/advise appreciated.
Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin, I have a 1996 1.9td and my gearbox has a dipstick which is obvious and, apparently, as rare as hens teeth. If yours had one you'd see it. What I would try is :- Locate your filling point (members on forum with your type of engine and gearbox should be able to help) find your drain plug (likewise) drain oil and measure it. No one seems to agree on quantities as some over fill to take into account the crappy addition of a 5th gear with little regard for lubrication by Fiat. Afraid long process to a simple problem. Hopefully someone will be able to give you the correct quantity of oil. Good luck finding the correct gearbox oil to replace it. That's another can of worms. All the Best, Ian.

Thanks Ian
I’ve checked with a local motorfactors and their computer tells them it’s 2.75 litres so that’s probably correct going by yours. I’ll check the drain plugs as their may be two ( one for gearbox and one for the diff )
I’ll drain the box and should be able to fill it through the air breather if there is one or the reverse switch. Thanks for your help as it confirms the amount of oil needed.
Thanks
Martin

Back