Technical Which clutch to buy (no Valeo in my country)

Currently reading:
Technical Which clutch to buy (no Valeo in my country)

So I will be needing a new clutch for my 1.2 16V mk2 sporting, so I started to look arround for prices and makes...
What is yours opinion people of ap automotive clutches, I think this is the catalogue http://www.apclutch.it/eng/cataloghi.htm

Ive read on this forum that Valeo is a good clutch, is that a make or a model or what cause I saw they mention Valeo in their catalogue
In my local shop they have ap automotive for abbout 90 EUR

I'll keep posting makes and prices as I find more in more shops (if)

Luk make great clutches

luk are ok but there self adjusting clutches are rubish and cause allot of judder every time they adjust so i'm a little scepticle of there clutches in jeneral obviously the 16v does not have an luk self adjusting so they proly be aright

maybe someone on the forum could buy a valeo and ship it to you

i can tell you what not to get thou
borg and beck apsoute crap

Last edited:
i can tell you what not to get thou borg and beck apsoute crap

:yeahthat:

According to local supplier of spares, AP=Borg and Beck=Delphi (supposedly a result of recent re-branding). I would stay away from this clutch.

LUK worked OK for me and I think I can recommend QH (Quinton Hazell) clutch as well - not expensive and the friction material is made by Valeo.
Sachs clutches are also recommended where I live, but their prices are higher compared to other makes.

Last edited:
I've found a Valeo!!!! :D So you guys say go with this one, right?

I found it over the internet, so I called the store and asked for some more details like part No etc, but the guy said there are no marks, just Valeo for Punto 2 1.2 16V....it makes no difference its a 6 gears gearbox?

The price is 110 EUR, do you think this is the clutch we are talking abbout, it doesnt sound like a cheap, only sticker on it version? Its a whole set of clutch (I dont know the English words for parts, but 3 major parts, lamella, basket and lager :D )

EDIT: found something on the website abbout this clutch:
SET KV.II 1.2 16V 821458 VAL 222042 (SET KV. is for clutch set)
Code: 222042

Last edited:
sounds expensive, valeo clutch for mine (8v though) is £35-50 (so E45-70 inc all tax's).

16v' parts in the UK i've often found cheaper as they are overstocked and sell them off.

yes the 'full kit' as you put it is correct, theres a big wheel, a little wheel and a bearing.

80% of the time its the BEARING that breaks and you have to replace the whole thing because of it (n)

my last clutch was a QH, cost me £28/E40 :devil:

OK, I'm gonna go for that one than, mucho gracies amigos :D

If someone remembers when in parts shop to check a code on the box if its 222042 maybe...
and maybe a pic via mobile phone

You see the problem is that there are a lot of non-original parts, not only here but accross Europe, I know some guys which can get me the clutch for 30 eur, it has Valeo sign and everything but is who knows what...I just hope I'm not gonna buy that one for the price of original :mad: You really cant tell the difference :mad:

Damn, I did some offline research by foot to the local stores and found that a lot of them acctually have a Valeo, but the prices vary too much! In one store its 110 EUR, in another its 80! In both stores they had a book where they found my punto and engine and stuff, so thats the one, but I'm worried abbout buying a Turkish cr*p :mad:

In one store they even asked me "we dont have it in store, but we can get it from stock" so I said, ok but whats the price I saw 110 in one store" and they said "105 EUR" so I thought ok this guy is gonna go to the store where its 80 and bring it to me and charge me 105 :D

So does any one know how can I tell which one is an original? But I know these guys copy everything, from hologram to the stamp on the part itself... :mad:

Damn, I did some offline research by foot to the local stores and found that a lot of them acctually have a Valeo, but the prices vary too much! In one store its 110 EUR, in another its 80! In both stores they had a book where they found my punto and engine and stuff, so thats the one, but I'm worried abbout buying a Turkish cr*p :mad:

In one store they even asked me "we dont have it in store, but we can get it from stock" so I said, ok but whats the price I saw 110 in one store" and they said "105 EUR" so I thought ok this guy is gonna go to the store where its 80 and bring it to me and charge me 105 :D

So does any one know how can I tell which one is an original? But I know these guys copy everything, from hologram to the stamp on the part itself... :mad:

the valeo clutch will have (cambio lato) or somethng spelt similar printed in white on one side of the clutch lining it means gearbox end in italian

i bet they don't copy that wording

Results:

So i fitted a Valeo clutch today, at the end it turned out that I know I guy who imported it for the store, and he guarantees its an original, but there were no Italian words on it :mad:
I was blown away when he told me its a refurbished clutch, but from the factory not some local store, and that brand new original costs 3 to 5 times more!!! I thought this 80 EUR price was for a brand new one :eek:

I have pics and will post them also. It turned out I was right, it needed to be changed, it was a matter of day when the bearing would go through big wheel (basket) - tips of feaders were so thin...

Anyway, now it works fine, JUDDERING IS GONE, there is some but I think normal juddering like when suddenly you take off our foot from accelerate and then step on it, let go, step on it....but its much less then it was with old clutch

I also did oil change, engine flush and gearbox oil change and gearbox carrier, and cleaned the throttle body

So conclusion: FOR ALL YOU WITH JUDDERING PROBLEMS, IT COULD BE THE CLUTCH, MINE SEEMED FINE EXCEPT FOR JUDDERING, only few days ago it started to grind and stuff, even maestre thought it didnt need to be changed...untill he took it off :D
I did test after the new clutch was placed, BEFORE I cleaned throttle body so I dont think dirty throttle body would cause judder, it only causes bad idle

Just to confirm, everything is great, no juddering even when cold, with old clutch I thought maybe middle engine carrier needs bit more adjusting

There is some cangoorooing in low revs, but it could be dirty fuel filter, I'll have to take that off too, or dirty injectors, or gearbox itself, I dont think 6 gears on 1.2 engine is a good idea...mechanically....but as a selling attribute, gotta be honest, thats what bought me, 6 gears :eek:

OK, can someone confirm or decline by looks if this clutch has anything to do with Valeo? :D In other words, does it look like an original to you
Oh yeah, its refurbished by Valeo, its not a brand new one

Attachments

• 24032008.jpg
    24032008.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 24032008(002).jpg
    24032008(002).jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 24032008(004).jpg
    24032008(004).jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 24032008(005).jpg
    24032008(005).jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 24032008(006).jpg
    24032008(006).jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 24032008(007).jpg
    24032008(007).jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 24032008(003).jpg
    24032008(003).jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
hi. i have 1.2 16v mk2 this will be 3rd time to change the set... i dont know whats all jeavy work for the mechanics...today bought Valeo so i realy think i didn't miss this one :)

Back