General what's yours...? and why?

Currently reading:
General what's yours...? and why?

Sprox said:
Wow! Are the military ones Green 4x4s with twin sunroofs for standing up out of and pointing the roof mounted Machine gun? Bet they come wiht Camouflage seats and interior!:D
I can just see it... the roar of the engine as it rears it's front bumper over a ridge... brakes in a dust cloud scouts and takes aim... fires and tips over backwards with the recoil... dramatic stuff eh!?

Sprox said:
Clean Seats, shiney interior plastics, unworn seats, dry and moistureless boot floor insulation like new, (yes, I couldn't believe that one either!) and 19000 miles on the clock!
Well... you can just F*** o**... we are never going to hear the end of this.

Tony M said:
Well... you can just F*** o**... we are never going to hear the end of this.
. . . .and the gearbox doesn't make that annoying crunch sound as the gears slide smoothly into 3rd. . .there's that lovely smell of the FIAT showroom still lingering . . . . . . The boot door rubbers still fit and haven't been pulled off through over-use. . . . THe locks all work smoothly and there is still the need for only one key . . . . . and as for answering the door to local people wanting to buy 'that old fiat thing' in the driveway well, my time just isn't my own anymore . . . . . .:D

Sprox said:
. . . .and the gearbox doesn't make that annoying crunch sound as the gears slide smoothly into 3rd

strangely enough i never had that problem

Sprox said:
. . .there's that lovely smell of the FIAT showroom still lingering . . . . . . The boot door rubbers still fit and haven't been pulled off through over-use. . . .
it'll change to wet dog soon enough....
Sprox said:
THe locks all work smoothly and there is still the need for only one key . . . . . and as for answering the door to local people wanting to buy 'that old fiat thing' in the driveway well, my time just isn't my own anymore . . . . . .:D
one key!?... I don't think my interest in Mr Bump is sustainable after that standard equipment you just outlined on a none 19,000 mile-er

Tony M said:
strangely enough i never had that problem
Ho ho! G942 XMG (RIP!) Had it bad!

it'll change to wet dog soon enough....

Sigh! I guess you're right. . . .Get down Shep!

one key!?... I don't think my interest in Mr Bump is sustainable after that standard equipment you just outlined on a none 19,000 mile-er
You've all been very very very very lucky people! I'm just trying to catch up!:)

Sprox said:
. . . .and the gearbox doesn't make that annoying crunch sound as the gears slide smoothly into 3rd. . .there's that lovely smell of the FIAT showroom still lingering . . . . . . The boot door rubbers still fit and haven't been pulled off through over-use. . . . THe locks all work smoothly and there is still the need for only one key . . . . . and as for answering the door to local people wanting to buy 'that old fiat thing' in the driveway well, my time just isn't my own anymore . . . . . .:D
Ok ok ok ! I was exaggerating to make you all jealous! I'm Soooooooooooooooooorrryyy!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Hello again Tony.
Re your question about the fitting of side protection strips.

All of my Panda's have the 1000S/4X4 type protection strips. I feel that they improve the appearance of the car and they save the paintwork from so much accidental damage. Where the car did not originally have the strips, I retro-fit them, using a set of templates that I made for the job.

Take a look at the on-line IPC under 1000S and 4X4. You will see that the strips ( they are actually five and a half inch wide plastic mouldings ) are key hole slotted onto a series of plastic studs along the side of the car. There are five studs on the door alone and the drilling of the five, eight milimeter holes, needs to be very carefully done.

If you want side protection strips, it would be a great deal less work to find some self-adhesive black rubber trims, usually of tri-angular section, which I understand can be obtained from car trim companies. Trims of this type were once available from Fiat, having the Fiat emblem on them but I have not seen any of these for many years.

Rgds, petel

No no no... I want the panda ones... not the halfords special gummy bear replica stuff... next i'd be putting refectors on the hubs of the wheels... I couldn't live with that

I'm interested to know where you get your retro fitting stuff though... or do you head for the breakers when in need?

Hello Tony.
When I see a car in a scrap yard with the trims on, I always get as many of them as I can, if they are not too damaged. There is a specific proceedure for removing the trims to minimize the risk of breakage. I have even bought individual trim pieces on Ebay. I then obtain the fixing studs from a fiat dealer, as I feel that trying to save the originals is false economy.

The rest is down to care and patience whilst fitting.
Rgds, petel

right, i know where I am off to this sunday... there was a 1000s with some of those on... they should easily fit into a shoe box by now though :( ... still it's worth a look if the weather is good.

My Panda, it's well documented, but anyway...

1989 750

One of the most basic spec of Panda.

Rubber floor, hammock seats, no rear wiper, no clock, no internally adjustable wipers, no fifth gear. It has basically what it needs to have to work and that's it. That's why I love it.

I've had better specced Pandas (93 CLX, 90 900S, 89 Fantasia) but none of them did it for me like this one. :)

Last edited:
Back