General What's your one favourite detail of the Fiat 500?

Currently reading:
General What's your one favourite detail of the Fiat 500?

New 500 could be almost any modern city car - just with a badge intimating some heritage

We drive a modern 500 twinair too, and I disagree. For a modern car designed to sell to modern requirements, I think it does a good job in delivering on the 500 ethos in both looks and use. Especially with the torqueless, but peppy and revvy burble of the twinair. :)

In a city, it's fun to chuck around, looks good, and is better than any crossover SUV any day! ;)

cheers, Steve

We drive a modern 500 twinair too, and I disagree. For a modern car designed to sell to modern requirements, I think it does a good job in delivering on the 500 ethos in both looks and use. Especially with the torqueless, but peppy and revvy burble of the twinair. :)

In a city, it's fun to chuck around, looks good, and is better than any crossover SUV any day! ;)

cheers, Steve

One element on the new 500 was getting the front very close to the original, but you have to look from the right angle.

If you are in front and centre of the car and get low enough so that your eyes are level with the headlights, the big oval shaped lights turn into round lights.

I am happy seeing new 500s driving around and when I've seen one while in my bambino the drivers usually smile and wave...

cheers, Steve

I would like to try the twinair. I originally thought it was a 2-cylinder air-cooled:bang: We have a modern 500 and I hate driving it. I honestly find it cramped and under-powered.:eek:
Sheila's is yellow though and that's nice.(y)

I would like to try the twinair. I originally thought it was a 2-cylinder air-cooled:bang: We have a modern 500 and I hate driving it. I honestly find it cramped and under-powered.:eek:
Sheila's is yellow though and that's nice.(y)

I must admit when we were looking at new cars earlier this year the new 500 did seem a bit small so we went for the not so cramped and slightly overpowered Alfa Giulietta?

cheers, Steve

We drive a modern twinair convertible too. This summer we drove it through europe to Italy. Going through the alps with the roof down and the hum of the twinair engine with the abarth turbo and exhaust system was really cool

We used to have the modern 500. It's good at what it's meant to do which is as a city car. Ours was a 1.2 Lounge, as Peter says you had to keep the pedal to the metal to get anywhere, I drove it once down the motorway and it wasn't a particularly fun experience. I remember the first time I drove I thought it was going to rollover going around corners, as it was so wallowy (is that a word)"?

I would imagine the Twin Air addresses it being underpowered but then to use it more enthusiastically you lose the fuel economy and an Abarth would stiffen up the suspension. The Abarth does sound nice! Inside I thought the did a good job on the dash area but what it let's it down is those really cheap boxy door cards.

But hats off to Fiat it's an 8 - 10 year old design that stills sells well.

Back to the classic. I like the ingenious interior heating system with the little flaps and knobs to redirect onto the windscreen. It works really well, nothing like a nice cosy warm 500 on a winters day, oh and it handles snowy roads really well.

Back to the classic. I like the ingenious interior heating system with the little flaps and knobs to redirect onto the windscreen.

That got amention on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 programme yesterday,when someone quoted that famous bit from the manual where it instructs you to turn the flap to get more or less heat to open the window if it's too hot in summer!:D

By the way, I just found another similarity between old and new....the spark plugs are a right b*$!@7d to remove and replace.

Last edited:
Too many to mention for me! But I have to say, the one thing that always tickles me (and anyone else who's in the car) is the pump action washer jets!!

Back