General Fiat 500 F (1960s/1970s) Weight

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 F (1960s/1970s) Weight

FabAni

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well! :)

We are new to the forum and we are so excited we have found it.

We are in the process of buying our first ever Fiat 500 F!!

We are going to take her around Europe for a big travel while we tow her on a trailer at the back of our RV.

We've got a question. How much does it actually weigh? We can see from the spec the the kerb weight is 523kg, but we spoke to a mechanic and he said that when you start putting oil and water in it, it all adds up and he thinks it will weigh around 600kg. Is that true? How can it possibly weigh more than what is written on the paperwork?

Does anyone of you own this specific model and has ever gone and actually weighed it? That would be so great to know how much it actually weighs.

The reason for this is because I have a CAT C licence and I am only allowed to tow up to 750kg. The trailer we found is 250kg and with the 500 on it will be 780kg which should be okay as you are given 5% of leeway (obviously we will always make sure that when we are travelling we will keep the fuel tank at a minimum and perhaps even removing the spare wheel etc etc).

Hope you can help us!

Thank you very much in advance!

Take care,

Fabio and Ani

Your best bet is to drive to the nearest weighbridge and weigh it. That way you'll have a certificate too.

I have an original handbook for the F which says 520kg kerb weight. That should be will all fluids at nominal levels and a full tank of fuel, plus all standard equipment. Your car may have had underseal, bits welded on. Extra paint (and filler)

Honestly if your that close to the weight limit. If you take out the back seat and bottom, you could shave a few kg. Folks would be surprised how heavy the rear seat back is. And if its just the 2 of you, you dont really need the rear seat. You can just pop it back in when your not trailering.

Hello guys, thank you both for your help!

@smart51 Thank you! That's really good to know that in the books it says 525kg Kerb weight which as you say includes all liquids. And if I make sure that when I am trailering I keep it with little fuel as well as keeping the spare tyre in the RV, we should defintely be on 500kg. Could I possibily ask a massive favour? Do you live near a weighbridge at all? Would it be too cheeky to ask you to possibly go and weigh your lovely 500 for us? We are very happy to pay for fuel, costs of weighing and a little extra to say thank you? Obviously we totally understand if you don't feel comfortable in doing so, thank you anyway!

We are going to buy our 500 from this company in Italy (they are very legit, I'm Italian myself and last week we went to Rome and went and met them). They restore Fiat 500s and they're going to do one up for us. They don't have a scale unfortunately and I'm struggling to find weighbridges in Italy so that I could possibly ask them to weigh it. 🙏

@Bounding Bambino Yes that's a really good idea! And we will probably do that. Though, we are hoping to find out somehow how it actually weighs with a all fluids including full fuel tank, spare wheel and toolkit. Because if that's 525KG than we are good to go removing the spare tyre and keeping little fuel. Also I think that there is a 5% leeway here in Europe on the weight so I'm hoping that if they stop us and look at the book of the trailer that says 250kg and the book of the 500 which says 525kg, by law we can tow up to 750kg so that would make it 775kg which it still within the 5% of leeway so hopefully we should be fine? also, if they have scales than with little fuel and no spare wheel (and perhaps without back seats) we should well below the 750kg threshold!

Thank you so much for your support!

@smart51 Thank you! That's really good to know that in the books it says 525kg Kerb weight which as you say includes all liquids. And if I make sure that when I am trailering I keep it with little fuel as well as keeping the spare tyre in the RV, we should defintely be on 500kg. Could I possibily ask a massive favour? Do you live near a weighbridge at all? Would it be too cheeky to ask you to possibly go and weigh your lovely 500 for us? We are very happy to pay for fuel, costs of weighing and a little extra to say thank you? Obviously we totally understand if you don't feel comfortable in doing so, thank you anyway!

We are going to buy our 500 from this company in Italy (they are very legit, I'm Italian myself and last week we went to Rome and went and met them). They restore Fiat 500s and they're going to do one up for us. They don't have a scale unfortunately and I'm struggling to find weighbridges in Italy so that I could possibly ask them to weigh it. 🙏

@Bounding Bambino Yes that's a really good idea! And we will probably do that. Though, we are hoping to find out somehow how it actually weighs with a all fluids including full fuel tank, spare wheel and toolkit. Because if that's 525KG than we are good to go removing the spare tyre and keeping little fuel. Also I think that there is a 5% leeway here in Europe on the weight so I'm hoping that if they stop us and look at the book of the trailer that says 250kg and the book of the 500 which says 525kg, by law we can tow up to 750kg so that would make it 775kg which it still within the 5% of leeway so hopefully we should be fine? also, if they have scales than with little fuel and no spare wheel (and perhaps without back seats) we should well below the 750kg threshold!

Just for interest, how much does the mechanic think that the water in a car with AN AIR-COOLED engine weigh? As Forum members have suggested, if in any doubt, carry as much of the Fiat's equipment in your SUV as you can, and if there only the 2 of you, remove the back seat. Let's face it, the very 1st 500s didn't have a rear seat---they suggested that you put a blanket down for the Bambinos! Does your trailer have a spare wheel?--if it does, put that into the SUV, and then the same weight of fuel back into the Fiat---you don't really want to be driving around with full petrol cans in the back of the SUV--safety and smell being 2 good reasons for not doing so.

There's little point weighing my car. It will be different to yours. Different amounts of underseal or body filler or whatever.

@the hobbler Thank you! Yeah that sounds all good I think we will probably do that. We haven't got the trailer yet and I am asking now these question especially if the ramps can be detached so that we can keep them in the RV as we are towing. My only worry is that what if it's not actually 525kg kerb weight (but it's just a figure) and instead it's 600kg when you weigh it? Then we won't be able to remove so many things to make it legal. Or do you think they would check both books (trailer + 500) and they see trailer 250kg + 500 525kg so we are 775kg which I am hoping that because it's within the 5% leeway, it should all be fine. Such a difficult things organizing all of these to then get stopped and not being able to continue the travels. Thank you!

@smart51 No worries! Thanks anyway! :)

@the hobbler Thank you! Yeah that sounds all good I think we will probably do that. We haven't got the trailer yet and I am asking now these question especially if the ramps can be detached so that we can keep them in the RV as we are towing. My only worry is that what if it's not actually 525kg kerb weight (but it's just a figure) and instead it's 600kg when you weigh it? Then we won't be able to remove so many things to make it legal. Or do you think they would check both books (trailer + 500) and they see trailer 250kg + 500 525kg so we are 775kg which I am hoping that because it's within the 5% leeway, it should all be fine. Such a difficult things organizing all of these to then get stopped and not being able to continue the travels. Thank you!

Personally, I think that you are over-worrying. According to my 'Factory' workshop manual, the heaviest version of the 500 was the "Version 144 Sports Car"-(this version had a 'tin' roof), and the specified weight for that version was 515kg----with, and I quote, "replenishipments, spare wheel, tool-kit and accessories". Who are you getting your trailer from? I had a custom trailer built for my car (and it was made sightly longer to put my son's proposed 'track-day' Metro on it) by "Phoenix Trailers" who are just outside Bridgenorth. They built me a cracker of a trailer, galvanised, complete with ramps, lights, winch and a spare wheel---all for a VERY sensible price; and it's a lovely trailer to tow. I heave it around behind a 1.9 diesel Skoda Fabia hatch-back.
I don't know the condition (enhancement-wise) of your 500, but if it is anything close to 'standard', the vehicle's weight is going to be very close to the 500kg mark. If the ramps are of a length that makes the car easy to get up onto the trailer, then I think that you will find that they are going to be too long (and cumbersome) to get into the back of the RV. Basically, load it up, bugger off and have a ruddy good holiday! If you are in Italy,seek out a 'Raduno'and goand enjoy it---totally diffferent to a UK car-show, and with a bit of luck, youmight get invited back to meal thay follows most of these Radunos!

Personally, I think that you are over-worrying. According to my 'Factory' workshop manual, the heaviest version of the 500 was the "Version 144 Sports Car"-(this version had a 'tin' roof), and the specified weight for that version was 515kg----with, and I quote, "replenishipments, spare wheel, tool-kit and accessories". Who are you getting your trailer from? I had a custom trailer built for my car (and it was made sightly longer to put my son's proposed 'track-day' Metro on it) by "Phoenix Trailers" who are just outside Bridgenorth. They built me a cracker of a trailer, galvanised, complete with ramps, lights, winch and a spare wheel---all for a VERY sensible price; and it's a lovely trailer to tow. I heave it around behind a 1.9 diesel Skoda Fabia hatch-back.
I don't know the condition (enhancement-wise) of your 500, but if it is anything close to 'standard', the vehicle's weight is going to be very close to the 500kg mark. If the ramps are of a length that makes the car easy to get up onto the trailer, then I think that you will find that they are going to be too long (and cumbersome) to get into the back of the RV. Basically, load it up, bugger off and have a ruddy good holiday! If you are in Italy,seek out a 'Raduno'and goand enjoy it---totally diffferent to a UK car-show, and with a bit of luck, youmight get invited back to meal thay follows most of these Radunos!

@the hobbler Thank so much for your detailed response! Yeah I think I am over worrying, I think it's an Italian trait haha 🤌

Thank you for all the info about the weight from the manual! Much appreciated and makes me feel like we will be alright!

Trailer wise, thank you! I will give them a call, we were actually looking for a company to make us a bespoke trailer and perhaps make it 200kg if possible so that we rule out any problems!

Haha thank you mate, yes we can't wait to chip off and go for some adventures. Also can't be happier that a life time dream (Fiat 500) is going to happen!! Thank you for the recommendation, we will go to Italy too so will defo check out the Raduno!!

I don't know the condition (anhancement-wise)of your 500
@the hobbler Thank so much for your detailed response! Yeah I think I am over worrying, I think it's an Italian trait haha 🤌

Thank you for all the info about the weight from the manual! Much appreciated and makes me feel like we will be alright!

Trailer wise, thank you! I will give them a call, we were actually looking for a company to make us a bespoke trailer and perhaps make it 200kg if possible so that we rule out any problems!

Haha thank you mate, yes we can't wait to chip off and go for some adventures. Also can't be happier that a life time dream (Fiat 500) is going to happen!! Thank you for the recommendation, we will go to Italy too so will defo check out the Raduno!!
If you would like to contact me direct ([email protected]) I will give you all the details for "Pheonix Trailers". A "Raduno"isn't a 'one-of' event, they happen all over Italy, practically one every weekend "somewhere near you" I went to one about 5 years ago in Norcia (Umbria) and wrote an article for the "Fiat 500 Enthusiasts Club" magazine---I will happily let you have a copy of the article so that you can see what they are like.

I too looked into this and my dad who was a long distance truck driver recommended against it, a light trailer with single axle and a light car will bounce around like crazy. Also if you get a blow out on the trailer it will fishtail and with little weight could flip.

He said if I was serious, to track the car as best as possible and pull it on an A-Frame with a light board on magnets, a little bit harder to manoeuvre around sites and parking spots but much safer and I would be within my licence weight and train weights of the towing vehicle. You will need to look into the legality of using an A-Frame in Europe but within Ireland they are legal and I wasn't venturing any further.

I too looked into this and my dad who was a long distance truck driver recommended against it, a light trailer with single axle and a light car will bounce around like crazy. Also if you get a blow out on the trailer it will fishtail and with little weight could flip.

He said if I was serious, to track the car as best as possible and pull it on an A-Frame with a light board on magnets, a little bit harder to manoeuvre around sites and parking spots but much safer and I would be within my licence weight and train weights of the towing vehicle. You will need to look into the legality of using an A-Frame in Europe but within Ireland they are legal and I wasn't venturing any further.
I think that you will find that 'A' frames are not allowed in Europe. Whilst I will concede that it only 250 miles, I have used my "Pheonix" trailer to trailer my 500 down to Felixstowe and back (from North Wales) a number of times with no problems at all! With new tyres, and a new trailerthe chances of a blow-out are slim. One can always find reasons for NOT doing something---the adventure is finding a reason for DOING IT! Drop me a line "FabAni" and I will give you all those details---the trailer that 'Pheonix' built me tows a treat, possibly one of the nicest trailers I have ever towed, and I have towed quite few things on quite a number of different trailers.

I think that you will find that 'A' frames are not allowed in Europe. Whilst I will concede that it only 250 miles, I have used my "Pheonix" trailer to trailer my 500 down to Felixstowe and back (from North Wales) a number of times with no problems at all! With new tyres, and a new trailerthe chances of a blow-out are slim. One can always find reasons for NOT doing something---the adventure is finding a reason for DOING IT! Drop me a line "FabAni" and I will give you all those details---the trailer that 'Pheonix' built me tows a treat, possibly one of the nicest trailers I have ever towed, and I have towed quite few things on quite a number of different trailers.
It's all in the adventure! 😜

Back