What's your first memory?

Currently reading:
What's your first memory?

We lived in Prestwich in North Manchester from 1957 when I was born to 1962 when we moved to Stretford. All my earliest memories date from those years, but not in any particular order although the first I mention is definitely the earliest.

The first is sitting on my dad's motorbike which would have been at age about 2 in 1959. He then bought a motorbike and sidecar combination and after that an Isetta bubble car of which I have quite a few vivid memories. The most significant being going on a drive out to the hills above Bury when we drove up a narrow lane onto the moors. After about 2 miles we came across a 5 bar gate on which was a sign which informed us that because of lambing, the road was closed. So, what to do? Reversing was out of the question because of the distance and the small matter of the car not having a reverse gear, so, my parents just got out (of the front of the car), picked it up by it's crash bars and rotated it through 180 degrees then got back in and drove off. Job done.

I can also remember (aged about 5) riding my tricycle of the large wheeled kind with my first "girlfriend" Rhona standing on the back. As we built up speed to what at the time seemed frightening, Rhona, being a girl and therefore sensible, jumped off as I ploughed into the phone box at the end of the close. Because of her actions there was at least one person able to get my Dad and we all, including the damaged trike, traipsed back up to the house.

I can also remember my first day at school aged 4 1/2. The school was closed because of a water leak and I can clearly remember one girl crying because she couldn't go in. Silly tart.

About the same time I saw my mates playing outside in the close and told my Mum I wanted to go out. She didn't want me to as it was cold, windy and raining, but I didn't care and nagged and nagged and nagged until finall she relented. Although relented perhaps isn't quited the right word. She took my duffle coat off the hook, grabbed one arm and stuffed it down the sleeve, then the other one. Then I was yanked forward and had the toggles rammed into the loops and the hood pulled up so harshly that my head nearly came off. The door was opened and I was propelled through the opening like I was rocket assisted. Still, I was out and now to play with my buddies - only - they'd all buggered off by then. So I went back home only to find the door locked. MUUUUUUUUM! MUUUUUU-UUUUUUM!

There was also an old disused air raid shelter nearby which we used to play in when it rained. But as there was supposed to be a "Strange man" who used to hang around there we were forbidden from going there. Yeah Right!

Back