What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Yes, pretty impressive. But, for me, it needs to be accompanied by the guttural roar of a V12 Ferrari

or maybe the howl of a Mazda four rotor Wankel

or the earth shattering experience that is a Can Am V8

There's something just "not right" about a vehicle as "brutal" as this being so quiet? What do you guys think?

A friend of ours has a house where the roof extends down to cover most of the upstairs, making it look like a bungalow with rooms in the roof, but is a proper house. However, because of the roof slope in all rooms, the upstairs loo has a concealed cistern, in the roof. For service, it is done from outside, by taking a set of tiles off the roof. Strangely, it is difficult to flush, and the ball valve leaks a little.
That's insane PB. Having to dismantle part of your roof to get at the toilet cistern - not you, your friend I mean - I couldn't live with that!

Toilets? Oh dear, toilets! I seem to have been involved in a lot of toilet repairs this past year, probably because my boy's didn't want "strangers" in their house during covid - or could it just be that Dad's very cheap?

The fixings under the rim - you can see that they haven't shortened the seat fixing bolts on mine either. Doubt if they'll ever unscrew! Behind the seat screw you can see the screw that hold the cistern to the base which luckily came undone no bother:

View attachment 408241
I've probably covered all the issues we've had in the grumpy thread...but I think "my toilet appears to be cursed" is a decent summation.

Bolts like those in my minds eye are why this job sat on "to do" for so long imagine trying to remove them with this level of access..
20220627_144337.jpg

Not a fan of one-way disassembly..I.e. removing something by breaking it or in a way you cannot refit. This was absolutely that...

I've probably covered all the issues we've had in the grumpy thread...but I think "my toilet appears to be cursed" is a decent summation.

Bolts like those in my minds eye are why this job sat on "to do" for so long imagine trying to remove them with this level of access..
View attachment 408305

Not a fan of one-way disassembly..I.e. removing something by breaking it or in a way you cannot refit. This was absolutely that...
Oh yes, that does look like good fun Steven.

On a slightly different note, I have a friend with a very old cottage which was retro fitted with a central heating system. The pipes are all surface mounted outside the walls, mostly along the skirting and are not the last word in elegance but you don't really notice them once you get used to them. When we suffered the blocked pipe in our system, which turned out to be in the ceiling of the utility room but required several small inspection holes to be cut in both the kitchen and utility room ceilings before taking down a goodly part of the latter's ceiling so the blocked pipe could be cut out and a new section let in, I was wishing my pipes were surface mounted like his. It's not just the stress of seeing the ceiling cut into and all the dust, it's the reinstating afterwards.

The blockage was where the supply/expansion pipe from the roof tank joins the system and my pal the plumber - he who looks after my boiler - told me that's a very common place for a blockage to form in a gravity system. Probably something to do with the colder water in the expansion pipe meeting the hot water in the system? Useful to know. I've installed a large ceiling hatch (Screwfix) so that we can have easy and quick access if it decides to do it again.

My heating system used to suck in air when the pump started. The system resistance and sudden start caused water to get down the vent pipe with air following along. Now you had air in the system making a springy effect on the pump outlet so the air suction got even worse. It was solved with a so-called "de-aerator". This had enough volume to absorb the pump start so air did not get pulled in. It also allowed enough time for any bubbles in the line to escape rather than be rushed straight past the vent.

My very best system had a hot water cylinder with high performance coils in the top. The cylinder was filled with circulating radiator water. The coils carried mains water (cold in one end, hot out the other end). It never had an air problem, hot water was energy efficient and the store of heat made the boiler run more efficiently.

Senior Fire Service people drive red cars, and often attend large fires to supervise.
Sat outside our fire station is a red Renault Zoe, proudly declaring 100% electric with bold graphics.
So that will be powered by Lithium Ion batteries, which once on fire, cannot be extinguished. Quite an irony. Hopefully they park it far enough away from any fire they attend.

I retired today. I am already beginning to feel relaxed.
Congratulations that man! From my own point of view can I recommend you take a firm stance with yourself? I decided I was not going to languish in bed past 8 o'clock in the morning. Take a decent walk - hour or more - every day. Stay busy with tasks like doing the cars and gardening and try not to eat too much "tasty rubbish". So far the plan seems to be working as I've been up at the crematorium saying goodbye to a number of my contemporaries who followed a different route by "propping up" the bar at the bowling club or golf club and suffering ever expanding waist lines!

Senior Fire Service people drive red cars, and often attend large fires to supervise.
Sat outside our fire station is a red Renault Zoe, proudly declaring 100% electric with bold graphics.
So that will be powered by Lithium Ion batteries, which once on fire, cannot be extinguished. Quite an irony. Hopefully they park it far enough away from any fire they attend.
Renault Zoe electric is not fast enough to get to the fire before the boys have got it sorted. Of course petrol isn't flammable, fuel tanks never get punctured and fuel lines never spring a leak. Of course not.

Then again, the the pouch type cells favoured by GM and Renault are prone to self ignition. Ask any GM Bolt owner.

LFP batteries are used in Chinese cars. They are less energy dense but are not flammable and don't get dangerously overheated. They can also be used zero to 100% to zero with no capacity loss over time. Ask any Nissan Leaf owner about that one.

Decided belatedly to check the MOT advisory on Ruby our 2014 car. " N/S handbarke cable outer - condition deteriorated" Having had both wheels off and checked in detail, both cables are pretty well as good as new. For the life of me I cant see what this nonsense was about. As the cables are nearly £60 each I did at least smile after calling the garage a few choice names for wasting my time. The dust gaiter just might be what they are talking of but as Fiat say these are non critical ant they are stuffed with grease anyway I am as they say not bovvered.

Decided belatedly to check the MOT advisory on Ruby our 2014 car. " N/S handbarke cable outer - condition deteriorated" Having had both wheels off and checked in detail, both cables are pretty well as good as new. For the life of me I cant see what this nonsense was about. As the cables are nearly £60 each I did at least smile after calling the garage a few choice names for wasting my time. The dust gaiter just might be what they are talking of but as Fiat say these are non critical ant they are stuffed with grease anyway I am as they say not bovvered.
I think there's often a "fear of being caught out" factor in this sort of "daft" notification. From the tester's point of view, if you list it then you're in the clear whether something later goes wrong with it or not?

Congratulations that man! From my own point of view can I recommend you take a firm stance with yourself? I decided I was not going to languish in bed past 8 o'clock in the morning. Take a decent walk - hour or more - every day. Stay busy with tasks like doing the cars and gardening and try not to eat too much "tasty rubbish". So far the plan seems to be working as I've been up at the crematorium saying goodbye to a number of my contemporaries who followed a different route by "propping up" the bar at the bowling club or golf club and suffering ever expanding waist lines!
Something like that already in the plans, though cycling in place of walking. The alcohol intake will probably be limited to an adult beverage around the fire pit on a Saturday evening. Though all bets are off if a former coworker shows up.;).There's plenty of vehicle stuff to do; carb rebuild on the DeSoto, new radio in the pickup, maintenance an the motorcycles. There's also several tube(valve)radios from the 30's to be gone through. And yard work at Cheest Manor is a constant.

Woke up this morning and looked out the bedroom window, as I do every morning, for a quick visual on the front garden and cars. Ok, Becky and Twink are looking good:

P1100323.JPG

But hold on, what's this:

P1100349.JPG

No less than three 500's all different models parked right outside my front door, what a treat! The grey Twin Air, with it's fancy black alloys, belongs to friends in the flat opposite. The black one is a more basic model with steel wheels and belongs to another resident of the flats but the one in the foreground is a very recent newcomer which seems to belong to a young lady who visits the house opposite. Having heard it running it's obviously a 1.2 four cylinder but that's all I know about it - looks quite smart with it's fancy alloys and light coloured paint job don't you think? In fact I've noticed a number of 500's painted in this colour just of late.

I must say this has cheered me up no end and I needed it because yesterday I spent most of the day gardening, mowing the grass, weeding all over, tending to my tubs and pot plants, etc, etc. By mid afternoon I was quite tired but feeling very pleased with the results, when I remembered I'd spotted some "serious" weed infestation behind my shed which I'd intended to sort out before going in for a shower. Back in the early spring I'd installed a brace between the shed and the fence at that side to support a post which had rotted off at ground level:

P1100352.JPG

I first went down the side, ducking to miss the brace, and round to the back of the shed where the weeds are growing where I pulled up all the big ones by hand. The bucket I was using to collect them in is not a big one so I actually did this twice, ducking under the brace both time. Then I got my weed killer sprayer and went down the side of the shed again to deal with the wee ones, but completely forgot about the brace and "breenged" my forehead off the brace! Damn that hurt I thought to myself as I put my hand up to feel what I'd done only to find my fingers came away coated in blood. Went in the back door where Mrs J looked at me in despair and said, "What have you done now? You look like you've gone several rounds with a bare knuckle fighter" as the blood was starting to run down my nose. I found myself wondering how a 70+ year old cultured lady would know anything about bare knuckle fighting?" Anyway, thanks for the sympathy dear, not. - She's used to me doing stuff like this though so her reaction, or lack of it, is no surprise. She cleaned me up and I went out to finish spraying the weeds but soon packed it in as I was feeling a little "woosy". Fine this morning though, just got a rather spectacular crusty red stripe across my forehead, must warn the grandkids before they next see me!

Just before I stop, anyone know what this plant is? I mean the big one in the middle of my tub:

P1100353.JPG

I can't remember where I got it and it's been in my "plant holding area" in a small pot for a couple of years where it never got big or did anything spectacular to take note of, probably because the pot was such a small one. It's always looked like it wanted to go to height so this year I decided to stick it in the middle of this tub and see what it would do and, as you can see, it's really gone for it! Mrs J has started calling it "the Triffid" It's now started to flower with very small and delightfully delicate blooms:

P1100355.JPG

You can see how small the flowers are from the size of my finger in the above picture. Trouble is I've absolutely no idea what this plant is. Anyone seen one before and maybe know what it is?

First full day of retirement at home today. After a bike ride, mowing the lawn, installing a new dehumidifier, 50 miles on the sidecar with the missus, putting a new cable on a way older than me radio, and walking Buster The Wonder Dog, twice, it's time for an extended break. After his second walk, Buster gave me a look that said, "Don't you have somewhere to go?" :ROFLMAO:

At a guess I'd say it was a verbena. https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/42079/verbena-bonariensis/details
I'm no gardener but we have it in ours, we like it but it spreads like topsy
Thanks Chris, does look similar doesn't it. The leaves are long slim and spikey though so maybe some derivation? Anyway I'm now feeling glad I've got it confined to that tub. As long as I stop it casting any seeds that should confine it I hope. Think I'll dig it out once it's finished flowering though.

First bit of time off with the wife since May...however may was an absolute disaster. With broken cars, hospitalisations, chicken pox, bad news left and right.

So far this one is going better...we've actually managed 2 family days out so far which given we've been off 2 days is good going.

Of course the car is still broken..but the unobtainium suspension parts are in stock and it's booked for tomorrow...here it is abandoned on top a dune. Todays fun fact TCS also works in reverse (note the groove the all seasons dug getting us up there).
20220703_195243.jpg

Think I've decided I'm just going to chuck some money at it, we did the family shizzle today..it's a big small car. Cruises the motorway lovely, enough ground clearance to be a clot and not worry about it.

Anything I replaced it with...would be direct injection and have a timing belt. So may as well bung it in and get the valves cleaned and the timing belt done..which won't leave me with change from a grand or even 1500...but it's sorted engine wise for another 5 years, weak spots addressed by which point the electric future will be here.

There's worse places to wait it out than a wheeled sofa that does over 50 mpg on day trips and still can turn in a sub 10 second 0-60.

Although I will be testing it this week..Edinburgh Zoo booked one day.. 2.5 hours north..and then north Yorkshire the following day 2 hours south..so I've got a lot of time to consider my thoughts on it..

Last edited:
Back