What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

I'm hoping we'll get knocked out, I'm absolutely fed up of hearing about football, and being moaned at for "not being patriotic" just because I have no interest in it! [emoji52]

Local Tesco has a display just inside the door, various lager and beer, with offers for bulk purchases. "Be Match Ready".

I could understand drinking after a match, either to celebrate, or drown one's sorrows, but if the game is so great, why does it seem necessary to be drunk to watch it?

Popped into my Inbox, a message from Microsoft, introducing Windows 11.

I remember when Windows 10 was introduced, they ran an advert, showing young children, around 4 years old I think, stating "they will grow up with Windows 10". To me that meant stability for around the next 15 years.
They've either grown up very quickly, or that advert may not have met the standards required of being 'legal, decent, honest, etc."

Edit: 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdzxR79MAY

Last edited:
Local Tesco has a display just inside the door, various lager and beer, with offers for bulk purchases. "Be Match Ready".

I could understand drinking after a match, either to celebrate, or drown one's sorrows, but if the game is so great, why does it seem necessary to be drunk to watch it?

Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw in Asda in 2018 for the World Cup
2018-06-08 05.35.32.jpg

I don't have a problem with people liking football, or with it being on the TV, but why does it have to completely dominate everything?! As you say, fans tend to get absolutely ****f4ced, and start screaming and hollering in the pubs where it's being shown, where families and regular events like quizzes basically get shoved aside, just so morons can watch the game in large gatherings. [emoji52]

had a busy 3 weeks , let the dogs out early in the morning 5-30ish only to find fox in poly tunnel the poodle threw my legs back in doors , the sheltie/french poodle in to the poly tunnel . hence holes in the tunnel, dog comes after calling her back blood every were large gash from eye to front of jaw. off to vets when open. dog now ok large vets bill and polytunnel gone . had to smile fox came down the lane stopped and decided to pass us another way

I had checked the online maps for traffic..
Usual M.way route was closed at 9 am
By 11am it was still shut and all the diversions had 45 minute queues

So I reverted to my 'old route'

I saw some massive queues going the opposite direction..

One was a broken down 80's Aston.. complete with AML plate.. he had decided to keep it on the carriageway.. so everybody had to go 'after you'.. trucks..tractors and all
Built a good 4 mile queue :eek:

Scenic A roads.. but often 4 hours to cover the 110 miles that I usually manage in 2.

My old estate used the same fuel in 4 hours as it did 'racing' back down the m.way

I zero'd the trip once rolling in the grande mj

Managed the trip in 3 hours.. trip showed 76mpg..

Daftly I was disappointed..as it was displaying @82 for around an hour

Last edited:
As mentioned elsewhere family holiday this week so unfortunately my car can't be it's usual full of junk self.

We need to fit 2 large cases and food so removed the thick blanket, pram, changing bags, tyre socks and tools I normally have in the boot. Weird taking the tools out not used them road side for many years but feels odd not having them especially hours from home.

Sure it'll be fine, checked it over all the tyres are holding air, none of the fluids have moved, nothing appears worn out or broken. Do have my jump leads and foot pump hidden in the spare wheel at least chances or me fixing anything else with hand tools are zip on this anyway really.

Moving the blanket was a mistake...farmyard fresh and I mock the wife's car.
20210703_152949.jpg

So what was a quick job turned into a full hour of hoovering as we're going to be in it a lot and it's nice for it not to be a tip.
20210703_153731.jpg

Then had to do the footwells, as well..
20210703_162906.jpg

That mat isn't normally there..note the brown foot rest, that's actually beach sand. :ROFLMAO:

One accident waiting to happen near me..

Major trunk A road.. Travelodge on one side of the road..and a McD's on the other
They have now installedd press.button traffic lights across this part of the A road. (No new signage about a crossing..)

So the major junction..always busy..
Roundabout has the illusion of now being 'trafficlight controlled'

Oh good..we are on Green.. no need to slow below 50mph :eek:

Last edited:
Hell of a ride back, unfortunately my natural pace ie. the speed limitish on cruise is a bit fast for lanes 1 and 2...but I have no desire to sit at 90 to play with the big boys in lane 3.

Obviously when I did venture out to lane 3 they're all tail gating each other and pressing the brakes every 2 seconds..and you never know if they want to slow down properly and you need to anchor up or a fly has hit the window and they've braked.

Weekend motorway further north is significantly less fraught

This little fella added some jeopardy as well..IMG-20210709-WA0002.jpg

Actually came down further and we ended up passing it on the right. Oh well home now and 42 mpg out the car despite getting stuck stationary in traffic on Monday so without that probably mid 40s..not bad for an old knife and fork tech car on snow tyres with 3 people and luggage.

Last edited:
Carer arrived to get my partner out of bed, washed and dressed. Parked across next door neighbour's drive, half on footpath.
Opposite, there is an adequate space between others, vacated by a Dispatch van earlier, so enough space for her Astra.
Luckily, neighbour not needing to go out. Despite enough space to pass, most traffic is making a big deal of it. (I thought one was going to burn out his clutch on our mild hill)

Other carers have the same problem, and one I deal with daily when training supermarket drivers. Target fixation. They focus on the target address, and cannot see potential parking spaces nearby, only wishing to park right at the address.

Gone now, normal service resumed.

Delivery driver's trucks are an interesting one I find. I've noticed many more of these in our street recently and, although parking spaces may be available, they seem to prefer parking across the end of peoples driveways. They're never there for very long so it's rarely a problem but I find it a mystery why they don't just park at the kerbside?

If I had to choose one as being annoying it's the fish merchant's van. This is a quite large LWB Mercedes Sprinter type van which is kitted out as a mobile shop and he seems to find the end of our driveway irresistible! The most annoying thing about it is not so much that he blocks our driveway for around a quarter of an hour but that all his customers - usually around 8 to 10 people - form a queue on the pavement right outside our large, picture type, living room window. Makes me feel like an exhibit in a display case.

On the subject of obstructions, Edinburgh is now firmly in the grip of segregated cycle lanes. Here's a wee flavour of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niM80k0JQe0 Regardless of how you feel about cycle lanes - I'll resist taking up that particular barbed cudgel at this time - it's creating an absolute nightmare for emergency vehicles because no-one can pull over to let them get through and also for delivery drivers who can't find anywhere to stop so they can make their deliveries! Also left turns are, in my opinion, now much more hazardous for both cyclists and drivers of vehicles. I myself recently fell foul of a cyclist who was "hiding" in my blind spot - what it must be like for truck drivers I can only imagine. i also only found out recently (someone on here enlightened me) that it's actually an offence to cross the line into a cycle lane if that line is an unbroken solid line - both a fine and 3 points on your licence if the "boys in blue" catch you! So what exactly are you meant to do when that ambulance or fire engine comes up behind you? I'm talking here about the cycle lanes which are only defined by lines but without the bollards. It looked likely that the scheme was to be curtailed but a cyclist rally was held (many attending are said to have come from all over, not just Edinburgh?) and it's been extended for a further 18 months at least.

Tesco are in the habit of parking over the end of the access road for 10-15 houses when going next door. They could literally park 6 feet further forward and not block anything but for some reason that's the choice they want to make.

Bit annoying as while technically there's another way it's a narrow street with cars parked on it so once you're committed reversing out/turning round is pretty much a none starter without wheel damage. Thankfully we don't need that one as I cross it rather than use it..(parked cars and turn of the century street sizes make the left turn a mission most people would rather not take).

Cycle lanes are a particular pain in the arse for all concerned. If you try and use them on a bike they usually aren't massively joined up and put you in positions if you follow them you'd probably avoid left to your own devices. There's one on the way to work I find particularly infuriating..there's 4 running parallel two on each carriageway and two on each pavement. What the hell is point unless you're trying to inflate your cycle lane total figure. Taking space from pedestrians and motorists when one or the other would do.

If I had to choose one as being annoying it's the fish merchant's van. This is a quite large LWB Mercedes Sprinter type van which is kitted out as a mobile shop and he seems to find the end of our driveway irresistible! The most annoying thing about it is not so much that he blocks our driveway for around a quarter of an hour but that all his customers - usually around 8 to 10 people - form a queue on the pavement right outside our large, picture type, living room window. Makes me feel like an exhibit in a display case.
You could take to wandering around the house naked. Or perhaps find a fancy dress costume to frighten them into queueing elsewhere. Other options may be available.

If the fish van timings are predictable, you could put your car on the road before he arrives, or both cars, then after a few weeks he may choose a better spot. Convenient if you want some fish though.

On the subject of obstructions, Edinburgh is now firmly in the grip of segregated cycle lanes. Here's a wee flavour of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niM80k0JQe0 Regardless of how you feel about cycle lanes - I'll resist taking up that particular barbed cudgel at this time - it's creating an absolute nightmare for emergency vehicles because no-one can pull over to let them get through and also for delivery drivers who can't find anywhere to stop so they can make their deliveries! Also left turns are, in my opinion, now much more hazardous for both cyclists and drivers of vehicles. I myself recently fell foul of a cyclist who was "hiding" in my blind spot - what it must be like for truck drivers I can only imagine. i also only found out recently (someone on here enlightened me) that it's actually an offence to cross the line into a cycle lane if that line is an unbroken solid line - both a fine and 3 points on your licence if the "boys in blue" catch you! So what exactly are you meant to do when that ambulance or fire engine comes up behind you? I'm talking here about the cycle lanes which are only defined by lines but without the bollards. It looked likely that the scheme was to be curtailed but a cyclist rally was held (many attending are said to have come from all over, not just Edinburgh?) and it's been extended for a further 18 months at least.

Thanks for the vid, I thought the cyclist was a bit close and a bit quick when passing some of those pedestrians, especially as some did not seem to be aware of him.
Most of the vid also showed loading restriction markings on the kerbs, so not being able to stop to load/unload is not a problem, as it is not allowed anyway. Where loading restrictions are not present, delivery drivers just have to treat the outer 'kerbs' of the cycle lane as the edge of the road.

Even for an emergency vehicle, you must not cross the solid line, so you just have to keep moving until more space is available, or you can turn off to let them pass. Like narrow country lanes, but now we're creating them in towns.

Opening the living room curtains this morning I was amazed to see quite one of the biggest slugs I've ever seen right in the middle of my front lawn. I went out and "relocated" him before thinking to take this photo:

P1090857.JPG

but you can get some idea of the size from the trail he left behind. Then I realized he'd come from the Hostas in the bed beside the front door, Damn!

P1090858.JPG

On a somewhat happier note, this interesting car has just come to live in our street:

P1090859.JPG

When I first saw it I thought, Oh, a Mitsubishi Evo, that makes an interesting change from the usual Impreza. Then I thought, hang on, no it's not. What is it? Turns out to be an imported Honda Civic Type R. i was hoeing my front borders yesterday when the young chap who owns it parked up opposite our house. Turns out to be a very pleasant chap and we passed a few minutes talking cars. He thinks there are only a handful of his version of this car in the UK as it was never sold here. I particularly like the clean "unspoilt" look of it but he's slightly ruined that image by having a quite noisy, big bore. back box on it. I'm expecting Mrs J and the neighbours to be displeased by that.

Seem to recall they have a 2.5 inch "Cannon" as standard, need a fairly high flow exhaust as are 240bhp out of a 2.0 N/A motor revving to 9k or so. Doesn't mean he's not fitted a bigger one though.

My crap for the day..took the C3 out think I'm going to crack and replace the rear discs and pads soon. Now if they get mot fail bad...and it fails the MOT they get done under warranty but was using it today and under gentle braking pressure it's fine. Harder pressure and you bring the rears into play and it feels like you've got warped discs.

No vibration through steering so it's not the fronts and tbf rears look like they've been in the sea. Stops fine but it's just not right and I don't think I can find it in myself to ignore it until September/October when it's due.

Once Mazda has a clean bill of health from it's mot and service at month end...we'll look at that always bloody something.

At least it seems otherwise healthy took it up Northumberland coast today ran lovely, returned 48mpg, and there was a lovely cameo of absolute confusion.

When parking in Amble literally one space left, it happened to be beside another C3 in Green but with black not white. Actually said to the wife is there another? don't want to look like I've done this on purpose.

Anyway off I went to get us some fish and chips, leaving wife and sleeping toddler in the car which is facing the other way to the one I've parked next to...and bear in mind has a white not black roof and mirrors.

Older Lady comes out with partner spots my wife sitting in the car "How has that girl got into our car?" :confused:

Back